Transferwise reduces charges.

15 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This one statement, which I've read a number of times, always intrigues me. I've been using TransferWise for 2 years now and I am very pleased with their service. But I have never, ever received a payment in minutes!

From initiating the transfer, which I do from my borderless account at around 7:30am Thailand time, to receiving the money in my Krungrsi account is usually around 6 hours.

How do you manage to get it here in minutes? I'm curious to know what it is that I'm doing differently.

I notice you mention borderless account, which I guess should be the fastest possible, so I think the problem is with Krungsri.

Bangkok bank and Kasikorn are Transferwise banks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

This one statement, which I've read a number of times, always intrigues me. I've been using TransferWise for 2 years now and I am very pleased with their service. But I have never, ever received a payment in minutes!

From initiating the transfer, which I do from my borderless account at around 7:30am Thailand time, to receiving the money in my Krungrsi account is usually around 6 hours.

How do you manage to get it here in minutes? I'm curious to know what it is that I'm doing differently.

The time of day one commences the transaction, and the method of payment of your money to Transferwise both seem to make a difference.

E.g. doing a bank transfer earlier in the morning in Thailand seems to make it faster than doing it in the evening.

At the moment I can't use my UK internet banking,  so am having to use the slightly more expensive method of using my debit card.  One upside of this is the payment is almost instant and T'wise seem to move things along quickly. My last few  transactions have arrived within a couple of minutes

In saying that, I did a transfer around lunchtime today,  and they told me it should be in my account in four hours. 

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Made two transfers today which arrived in minutes, but it was the first time this happened to me for Thai baht (between Euro / GBP it’s literally seconds).

Maybe it’s faster when receiving in certain banks, today I transferred to Kasikorn and usually I transfer to UOB and SCB, which sometimes takes two days...

Edited by Barnabe

8 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Why are you being so pedantic about nett rate, the rate is the rate as steve quoted, what you get in your account is that rate less the charges.

Same with any institution, and Transferwise as far as I can see is the best of the lot.

I use TransferWise sometimes but I'm not a fan boy, it would be better if they showed the net rate as well but I appreciate it's better marketing to show the gross rate only

All i can say is if paypal are involved i would steer clear. booked a long haul flight a few years ago with paypal involvement, i booked six months in advance, six weeks before my date the airline changed the details of the flight, i contacted paypal with regard to a refund , they informed me i had to apply within six weeks of purchase ? ? ?     

Edited by zoza
sticky key
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It depends on the country being sent "from," currency pair involved, funding method/system, time sent, and receiving bank.   

Probably the biggest factors is the country being sent from and payment method/system used for funding the transfer because the "funds settlement systems" in different countries varies from almost instantaneous like the Faster Payment System used in the UK to slower/batch systems like the Automated Payment System (ACH) used in the U.S. 

• Like 2

I think it is also what is 'x'd' for the reason for transfer.

If the 'funds for long term stay' box is ticked, the bank used in Thailand is different to show the funds came from abroad. If the others are ticked the funds arrive into the Thai bank in under 10 seconds.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use TW but I am not very satisfied. they never confirm my payment on the same day. always waiting for the next day afternoon!!!!  I transfer about 8am.

I have many deposits between Swiss to Austria in about 4-5 hours. no problem

What is the way to get the fastest option??

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

TransferWise should quote a net rate rather than gross rate, it hides the effect of the fee

Really? Every transfer I have made with TW I have chosen the amount I want to transfer. They then tell me the transfer fee (GBP in my case), They also tell me the forex rate that they are using and the amount in Thai baht. All this without any transaction taking place. They also guarantee that Forex rate will remain until the transfer has been completed.

When I am happy with that I click on the confirm button and the transfer begins.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

When I am happy with that I click on the confirm button and the transfer begins.

In fact before clicking the confirm button, one can easily calculate the net rate :

amount you will receive divided by amount you will transfer.

4 hours ago, uli65 said:

I use TW but I am not very satisfied. they never confirm my payment on the same day. always waiting for the next day afternoon!!!!  I transfer about 8am.

I have many deposits between Swiss to Austria in about 4-5 hours. no problem

What is the way to get the fastest option??

Seems fastest way is paying the transfer with your credit card, and for Thailand sending to Kasikorn or Bangkok bank accounts, as that are the banks Transferwise use for theit transfers.

Selecting payment from your bank account, of course delays the process, because your bank has to release the money to Transferwise

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Really? Every transfer I have made with TW I have chosen the amount I want to transfer. They then tell me the transfer fee (GBP in my case), They also tell me the forex rate that they are using and the amount in Thai baht. All this without any transaction taking place. They also guarantee that Forex rate will remain until the transfer has been completed.

yeah but what's that got to do with showing a net rate? I bet when you get a good rate you just quote the gross rate, no adjustment, even if its a very big transaction with big charges

image.png.69513621b6a99daf3e23350f891bd9ea.png

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

yeah but what's that got to do with showing a net rate? I bet when you get a good rate you just quote the gross rate, no adjustment, even if its a very big transaction with big charges

now what rate are they not showing

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The rate that TW quote me is a much better rate than KBank offers plus it is cheaper and quicker. Before I went to TW my pensions were sent to my KBank account and took up to 5 days to arrive. I had no idea what rate I was getting or how much the charges were.

Using TW it is quicker and I know what forex rate I am getting and how much I will recieve in THB.

So please tell me what IS the difference between the gross and net rate for GBP 1,000.

In the example above it's 40.8018 vs 40.56 which is the net rate after charges. As I've said a few times if I'm comparing to the TT exchange booth or using my Clarity card the net rate is relevant as no charges for those two

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In the example above it's 40.8018 vs 40.56 which is the net rate after charges. As I've said a few times if I'm comparing to the TT exchange booth or using my Clarity card the net rate is relevant as no charges for those two

It shows me a rate

image.jpeg.e8ede4bcab7be1b0a267e373cf4426f5.jpeg

• Like 1

Again that doesn't show the net rate, missing the point 

I really don't undersatnd the question but maybe you can find the answer here:

https://currencylive.com/exchange-rate/

That link is somewhere on the TW and they use to explain to their customers how they determine the rate.

image.jpeg

Edited by Jack Mountain

I compare the KBank TT rate to the TW rate on a daily basis for years.

At the weekends I compare TW and XE currency converter and their rates are similar though XE AFAIK cannot be used to transfer funds anywhere.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 5:10 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Again that doesn't show the net rate, missing the point 

Gross, net -- who cares. What you want is effective rate, which is a simple division of money received by money sent. Fees and exchange rate are automatically dealt with in this simple division. Now you can compare against, say, a Swift wire transfer -- but, unlike with TW's provided numbers, you will have to net out money sent with money received to get the end Swift numbers. And, of course, TW gives you the different fee structure costs, with credit cards appearing to be the most expensive, and a borderless account the cheapest. Yeah, the effective rate for each TW fee structure is not presented (although it certainly could be.....), so you'll need to retrain yourself on calculator usage, i.e., big number, divide symbol, small number -- remember how that works?

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, the effective rate for each TW fee structure is not presented (although it certainly could be.....), so you'll need to retrain yourself on calculator usage, i.e., big number, divide symbol, small number -- remember how that works?

Or if one were to only use the cheapest funding method, the scroll key on the mouse would reveal the effective, or net, exchange rate, as shown in the examples above.

13 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

Mid market Rate, Euro to Baht

https://www.valuta.nl/thailand_baht 

Mid Market rate changes every few seconds. To see how close TW are the MMR you need to compare what xe.com are showing against what TW are showing at the same time. I have used TW for a few years now, I have found it to be close, same, or on the odd time beating the rate that xe.com were showing. XE.com rates are live.

11 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Mid Market rate changes every few seconds. To see how close TW are the MMR you need to compare what xe.com are showing against what TW are showing at the same time. I have used TW for a few years now, I have found it to be close, same, or on the odd time beating the rate that xe.com were showing. XE.com rates are live.

You're right, just now I checked it with 5000 euro. TW gives 70! Baht more at the end. ????

16 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

You're right, just now I checked it with 5000 euro. TW gives 70! Baht more at the end. ????

You're right ... I don't hear that very often!!!!! but not much is it on 5K Euro ... I paid 70thb today for khao soi gai in a Mall...