Phuket - New drivers license appointment wait time 3 months.

seasiaman

Hi,

I went into the Phuket Land Transport office this morning to apply for a new motorbike and car license.  I was there before 9am and it wasn't very busy.  There were only a couple of people ahead of me in the queue.  I had all the required documentation, ID's, application form etc, including an IDP and Australian full license, they both cover cars and bikes.   I was dressed respectfully.

After my documentation was checked I was given an appointment slip for mid November.  I thought that it was simply going to be a matter of doing a few quick tests like a reaction and eye tests, watching a short video and getting my photo taken.  I didn't think that I would need to do the theory or practical tests.   

I politely pointed out that my IDP and Drivers license was issued for a car and motorbike.  The lady serving me seemed to understand and appeared apologetic and gave me a new appointment.  The new appointment was now 3 months away! 

I raised the issue that the medical certificate and certificate of residency is only valid for 1 month.  She didn't seemed too concerned.

My ED visa will expire before my appointment.

As I understand it, an IDP is only acceptable here for 90 days.  I arrived in March.   I'm not sure that insurance would still cover me.

Is it normal to wait so long for an appointment when they don't appear to be that busy. 

I tried the DLT smart queue app but I was unable to register.  I don't have a house book as discussed in other threads.

I'd appreciate your input.
Thank you.

Edited by seasiaman

Thats just ridiculous... especially if the place was fairly quiet. 

Do you know a Thai who could apply for an appointment for you?  (in the hope of getting an earlier appointment)

Could you try and alternative DLT (i.e Phangna or Krabi)

Could you get a letter from your School (Ed Visa) *(in Thai) stating you urgently need a driving licence?

Go again and just try again....  ask to speak with someone more senior, explain that you need this licence urgently, it could work in your favour. 

------

Realistically, you should be fine riding around the country with your home licence and IDP. 

But I understand that you want to be ‘in the right’ and not caught out on a technicality by some knowing police officer etc and its a pain in the backside getting another residence and medical cert.

Thank you for the suggestions.   I will try raising the issue with my school.    

Even if I can get away with using the IDP and home license.   I am concerned that if I needed to make a claim on my insurance that they could perhaps use the 90 day limit to void my policy. 

Have a great day. 

Sorry this wont help you and your problem.

But sounds about right. They are so far behind due to this Covid 19 thing, everyone is having to wait or make an appointment. My Thai Wife went in over a month ago (August 12th) to renew her 5 year M/C licence. They told her to come back in SIX Months. They said no problem as a Thai licence is valid for 1 year even after is has run out. TIT.

In retrospect perhaps they didn't appear to be too busy because people are just using the app to schedule an appointment rather than just walking in like me.  Which would make sense so that they can keep numbers to manageable levels to aid social distancing.

A 3 months wait during such quiet times seems odd.  I can only imagine how long it would be during normal busy periods ? 

I understand that they may have some catching up to do but I can't help feeling that they would be processing less applications than average due foreigners leaving and being locked out and the reduced job opportunities not attracting additional people here.

But it's all speculation on my part.  I have no idea what their workload is like.

In any case it sounds like I should count myself lucky that my wait is only 3 months.  

Thanks for your input.

20 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry this wont help you and your problem.

But sounds about right. They are so far behind due to this Covid 19 thing, everyone is having to wait or make an appointment. My Thai Wife went in over a month ago (August 12th) to renew her 5 year M/C licence. They told her to come back in SIX Months. They said no problem as a Thai licence is valid for 1 year even after is has run out. TIT.

It is only valid after the expiration date if you have the confirmation of an appointment. Otherwise not. 

That's correct , I helped a friend,  staying with us,  to apply for his driving license ( in Takua Pa ) there was a waiting list until 31 October. So yesterday we went to PhangNga Town, and got it done right away. So consider to do it at another province. 

On 10/1/2020 at 1:24 PM, seasiaman said:

As I understand it, an IDP is only acceptable here for 90 days

There is no such limit, an IDP based on the 1949 treaty is valid for a year and can be used as long as it's valid. There is just a lot of misinformation on the internet which keeps getting repeated by clueless people.

On 10/1/2020 at 1:24 PM, seasiaman said:

I'm not sure that insurance would still cover me.

The compulsory insurance doesn't require you to have a driving license.

A voluntary insurance can write in the contract whatever you want, so either check your contract or ask them (if you have any voluntary insurance). Maybe they don't even care if you have an IDP, and just your Australian license is good enough for them.

After a bit more research, I see that other members have also experienced the long wait times in different areas of the country.  But as Hanssna and Kevin Bligh pointed out in their replies that it is possible to complete the process in a timely manner in some provinces.

Jackdd:

There is no such limit, an IDP based on the 1949 treaty is valid for a year and can be used as long as it's valid.

Thank you for pointing that there is no time limit for using an valid IDP.  It would appear that I too have fallen for the misinformation.

After your comment I went searching and found that the issue of foreign licenses and IDP's has been raised previously.  The topic is a few years old but it appears to confirm as far as the Thai road traffic act is concerned "If the driver is an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license specified in the Section 42-2" .   There is no mention of a time limit.

Thank you everyone for your valuable input, it's greatly appreciated.  

Edited by seasiaman
add quote.

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

It is only valid after the expiration date if you have the confirmation of an appointment. Otherwise not. 

Wife was told no problem, she can do it anytime as long as it's not more than 1 year, or she will have to take another test. I don't think she's that bothered anyway, as she had been driving her M/C for over 20 years without one anyway. If it hadn't been for me she would still be driving without one. TIT.

Edited by fredob43

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Wife was told no problem, she can do it anytime as long as it's not more than 1 year, or she will have to take another test. I don't think she's that bothered anyway, as she had been driving her M/C for over 20 years without one anyway. If it hadn't been for me she would still be driving without one. TIT.

This is a different story and even this seems not to be the same at all offices. Banglamung forces you to do the tests immediately after the expiration date and doesn't give you one year time - so someone of this office said. This is new. So they want to avoid that people try to get a validity of 6 years by coming after the expiration date.

But in any case will the license not be valid anymore after the expiration date. Important for the insurance coverage. But now with Corona they keep the license valid even after the expiration date until the appointment date. But you need to have a confirmed appointment date. 

4 minutes ago, Oldie said:

This is a different story and even this seems not to be the same at all offices. Banglamung forces you to do the tests immediately after the expiration date and doesn't give you one year time - so someone of this office said. This is new. So they want to avoid that people try to get a validity of 6 years by coming after the expiration date.

But in any case will the license not be valid anymore after the expiration date. Important for the insurance coverage. But now with Corona they keep the license valid even after the expiration date until the appointment date. But you need to have a confirmed appointment date. 

There was a big thing on the net about this some time ago. Seem due to the Covid 19 and the DLT being closed they have changed the rules. They are now allowing licences to be renewed as long as they don't exceed 1 year.

Seems this is correct as she has been stopped a few time for a M/C tax check also had licence checked. BIB seem happy anyway.

N/B the wife (like many other Thais) doesn't have any insurance. Only the one they get with the road Tax. The latter we always do on time.

35 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

There was a big thing on the net about this some time ago. Seem due to the Covid 19 and the DLT being closed they have changed the rules. They are now allowing licences to be renewed as long as they don't exceed 1 year.

Seems this is correct as she has been stopped a few time for a M/C tax check also had licence checked. BIB seem happy anyway.

N/B the wife (like many other Thais) doesn't have any insurance. Only the one they get with the road Tax. The latter we always do on time.

There were special regulations until September 30th. No idea if this got extended. 

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390678

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 2:48 PM, hanssna said:

That's correct , I helped a friend,  staying with us,  to apply for his driving license ( in Takua Pa ) there was a waiting list until 31 October. So yesterday we went to PhangNga Town, and got it done right away. So consider to do it at another province. 

Thanks for the tip.  I followed your advise.  The staff there were very nice.  It didn't take that long to get it all sorted and I walked away with my 2 licences. ????

Cheers.   

Edited by seasiaman

On 10/2/2020 at 5:46 AM, Oldie said:

DL could always being renewed up to one year after the expire date (appointment or not).

• Like 1