Military convoy ambushed by suspected insurgents in Songkhla

webfact

Military convoy ambushed by suspected insurgents in Songkhla

By The Nation

800_a73939bebe7457b.jpg?v=1601532782

Four soldiers were injured when suspected insurgents ambushed a convoy of 15th Infantry Division vehicles in Songkhla province on Thursday morning.

The attack occurred in Thepa district at 11.38am, when an explosion ripped through the convoy. All four injured soldiers were rushed to hospital and the area quickly secured by troops.

Security forces say the insurgents hid explosives by the road and then waited in a hiding spot on the side of the road near Pakbang Lake Resort.

When the vehicles reached the bombs, they triggered a detonator. The four soldiers were wounded by shrapnel from the blast.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395441

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-01

• Sad 1

Looking at that bus it seems to me that the army are using unarmoured vehicles in an (undeclared) war zone. Normally in that zone they use mostly unarmoured pickup trucks and motorbikes while the proper type of armoured vehicles are being polished to death at barracks around Bangkok.

Any terrorist can sit and watch the highways to get an idea of when, how often military convoys travel the road, with what kind of vehicle and what security. Given that the planners can be reasonably sure of where and when a target will be at a regular time.

• Sad 1

I feel for any soldier working in the south. If you know some history about the killing of soldiers year after year and two who were tortured years ago down their you realize they don't want peace ....  they just want to kill.

Go after them and slaughter them all.   imo

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I feel for any soldier working in the south. If you know some history about the killing of soldiers year after year and two who were tortured years ago down their you realize they don't want peace ....  they just want to kill.

Neither side is completely innocent

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

It left comparisons with Northern Ireland behind a while back.

Certainly the basics are the same, the IRA were seeking to gain independence from what they considered an occupying force. The Pattani states likewise wish to see themselves liberated from what they consider an occupying force. In both cases the 'occupation' is a long standing historical one where the occupier considers the territory theirs, because that's the way it has been for so long. In both cases language, religion and culture are significant factors too.

However, the NI Troubles saw some 3,500 people killed over a period of 30 odd years. The Southern Insurgency has seen over 7,000 people killed in just 16 years and there's currently no end in sight. Maybe it will need another 14 years to make people see sense and talk without preconditions. 

Its sustainable for both sides t the moment, therefore will probably get worse before it gets better.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

They are in barracks in Bangkok being polished to death just waioting for the right time and place to meet the real terrorists in Thailand. The student revolutionaries.

Probably...seriously though, you'd think at least an (1) APC in a small convoy would send a message and protect a few of the cannon fodder sent to patrol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Probably...seriously though, you'd think at least an (1) APC in a small convoy would send a message and protect a few of the cannon fodder sent to patrol.

Wheeled APCs would be a lot better on Thai roads, rather than tanks with treads which would probably tear up the road surface in less than a day.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 3:08 AM, steven100 said:

Have you ever been to the South before ? ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amr said:

Been living in the south for 18 yrs .... Never worry during all those years living there ... a piece of advice to you, you might want to read some real history of southeast Asian region,  before posting NUKE THEM ALL, KILL THEM ALL, BOMB THEM ALL, WIPE THEM ALL !! .... Peace out ✌️

not that i said nuke them ...lol... but their is a group of insurgents their that don't want peace so pls don't try to convince me otherwise. 

3 hours ago, Amr said:

Been living in the south for 18 yrs .... Never worry during all those years living there ... a piece of advice to you, you might want to read some real history of southeast Asian region,  before posting NUKE THEM ALL, KILL THEM ALL, BOMB THEM ALL, WIPE THEM ALL !! .... Peace out ✌️

Do you suggest Thailand gives into the Islamic terrorist demands? As you are not a Thai teacher, monk, child or soldier you would not have been on thier hit list

55 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Do you suggest Thailand gives into the Islamic terrorist demands? As you are not a Thai teacher, monk, child or soldier you would not have been on thier hit list

You literally didn't get anything from what I said above !! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

not that i said nuke them ...lol... but their is a group of insurgents their that don't want peace so pls don't try to convince me otherwise. 

Not trying to convince you with anything ... just advised you to read a little bit of the region history before pouring your anger or mess-picking your words .... 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 6:06 PM, Stocky said:

The Southern Insurgency has seen over 7,000 people killed in just 16 years and there's currently no end in sight. Maybe it will need another 14 years to make people see sense and talk without preconditions. 

The number of incidents and victims has decreased significantly though, even in the four+ years I've been living here.

The first question that many people ask me when they learn I live in the deep south is "Aren't you afraid?"

I'm not and in practice there's very little to be afraid of besides hitting a cow on the road at night. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 9:29 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Sometimes surprises me that in a country, with so many generals and a army so powerful, they never decided to just send the entire country's force down there and finish it for once and all.

Won't help. It will just make the locals more angry and breed the new generation of even fiercer insurgents. Violence is not the answer here.

• Like 1