Thai hotel seeks deal with guest facing jail over bad reviews

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Have you been living in Thailand too long already, to become so gullible to believe what the owners of the hotel dictated in their statements, and to defend the use of a brutal fascist law, created to curb freedom of speech in a totalitarian country, over 4 short hotel reviews, of which only three were published? Do you think a verdict of two years jail for this "offence" would be reasonable? 

It's astonishing to observe how easily some Western people coming from pluralistic countries (I assume you do) can become supporters of totalitarian laws in polices state like Thailand. 

4 were published not 3

According to both the hotel and Tripadvisor the main one was published and it was online for 5 days before it was removed 

Since the review was against TripAdvisor’s review guidelines, it was removed after a week of being displayed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VZCwyULmkLpZ7y5nT5wsaX0mn8waPd4H/view

Just now, Flying Saucage said:

I don't care if 4 or 3 posts. So, does this mean for you he should be jailed for 4 years instead of 3? 

That decsion is not your decsion or mine I leave it to the courts to decide unless some agreement is reach between both parties before then

As for totalitarian countries suggest you check out UAE, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Egypt, Turkey UK as some good examples of totalitarian countries I am sure there are many more

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

You forgot to mention the First review was removed

So arrest a guy throw him in Jail 3 days is ok because of a negative review?
Exactly what was a lie in the review?

1st one was removed after 5 days of being online

According to both the hotel and Tripadvisor the main one was published and it was online for 5 days before it was removed 

Since the review was against TripAdvisor’s review guidelines, it was removed after a week of being displayed.

snapshot of 1st post is contained in the link

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

1st one was removed after 5 days of being online

snapshot of 1st post is contained in the link

Yes I read but don't get why they claim defamation.
Maybe he thought the Hotel was over working the staff and the Hotel manager was rude I have experienced rude hotel management here before.
Anyway it's just his opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Posting Rubbish would you like to point out where I have stated what you are saying

I just tried to bring a little bit life into your comparison between different countries, and to let you a take look into the mirror.

Anyway, I will stop that discussion here, and wish you a good night my friend!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"It seems like the hotel is ready to settle," Barnes said in a message to Reuters. "I will meet them next week to hopefully end this case once and for all. It would be wonderful to have this behind us."

I get the feeling based on the words used in the quote that this guy thinks he's in for some kind of a payday here.

• Like 2

This happened to me before:

hotel:  give me 2 million baht or jail

me:  jail is fine

hotel:  1 million and cry for 4 hours

me;  jail, bye

hotel:  400,000 baht

me:  nothing

hotel:  2000 baht and sign this

me:  (reading)

hotel:  OK, picture time

me:  fake smile   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I get the feeling based on the words used in the quote that this guy thinks he's in for some kind of a payday here.

I get the feeling both sides think they're in for a payday and settlement will be difficult.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

1 hour ago, aroiaroi said:

A public apology by the customer should be enough. 

Perhaps a public apology from the hotel should be enough with a hansom compensation payment for imprisoning a guest of their's.The hotel could just drop the charges and not say anything,the Thai administration can do the same.Nobody has to apologies.If the charges haven't been dropped the hotel is still seeking some kind of retribution and the hotel guest doesn't look like backing down if that retribution is not removed.

24 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The guy is a convicted criminal in his home country, he threatened a business with a gun as he had a dispute with them too.

Sounds like a dangerous and violent lunk who never should have been let in.

I believe in required criminal checks for Americans wishing to enter Thailand. 

By the way I'm a US citizen.

Apparently the court case is on the 6th of this month.

He should set up a go-fund me page for lawyer fees etc to fight this. The story has legs, I think he would certainally get more than enough to fund good legal representation. It would also give him some additional negotiation leverage.

• Haha 1

was in koh chang in jan,went to a restaurant for a spare rib buffet with friends,it was absoulute garbage they had been boiled so long they were totally tasteless mush,as i was sitting there a bloke passing said, you enjoyed it then,to which i merely said i wouldn,t order it again,out comes the owner trying to tell me how they were cooked,to which i replied i don,t really care they tasted like <deleted>,he walked away,i went back to my room and spewed my ring up,suppose if i,d written a bad review i would be prosecuted,might fly into Bangkok next trip (if borders open ) but will spend bulk of my holiday in neighbouring countries.this post typifies the thai attitude to farang.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YetAnother said:

whole thing is a tempest in a teapot; thailand is what it is, including a sea of foolish, irrational laws; they need settle this with a couple wais; damage already done to thai tourism and that hotel;

he gets jailed then even worse

Not a couple of wais, a couple of stacks of bank notes is more likely.

i don't often reply on this forum but one thing i do know. sometimes there are customers you just cannot please. i went to tripadvisor and read a lot of comments on this resort and the replies to these comments appear to be well thought out and investigated by someone called Nick Rosecu. i think that there are factors beyond the written "truth" here. personally i would not be put off by this customer and would stay at this resort.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mark131v said:

Bloody hell fella he posted four negative reviews and end's up in Koh Chang nick for the weekend!!

He may very well be a complete lying dullard but that's beside the point getting jailed for expressing an opinion is draconian the fact this is news worldwide highlight's this

The fact the hotel owner spat his dummy when he could not intimidate the Yank speaks volumes, loss of 'face' absolutely pure and simple

Anyhoo that's my take on it so I ain't getting into pigeon chess about it...

Thanks for pigeon chess - that gave me a good hearty laugh!