Thai hotel seeks deal with guest facing jail over bad reviews

snoop1130

It seems the Hotel has agreed to drop defamation if Barnes retracts his reviews.

Koh Chang hotel agrees to settle dispute with American if he retracts his bad online review

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/koh-chang-hotel-agrees-to-settle-dispute-with-american-if-he-retracts-his-bad-online-review

No surprise there it's probably what it was all about in the first place.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

It seems the Hotel has agreed to drop defamation if Barnes retracts his reviews.

Koh Chang hotel agrees to settle dispute with American if he retracts his bad online review

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/koh-chang-hotel-agrees-to-settle-dispute-with-american-if-he-retracts-his-bad-online-review

No surprise there it's probably what it was all about in the first place.

Lets see if the American is a man or a mouse, tell them you want your job back and your work permit 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Lets see if the American is a man or a mouse, tell them you want your job back and your work permit 

He may not get those, but will probably get a nice compensation payment (private, obviously). That is the only reasonable explaination for the slow settlement, taking into account as each day passes, more bad international press against the hotel spreads.

Edited by aroiaroi

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

You reckon?

It has to be private because they don't want to give the impression they are rewarding 1 star reviews, or they have made a mistake. They have already done enough damage to themselves.

My guess is that, as this story continues to spread internationally, and during negotiations, the 1 star reviewer has called their bluff, and the hotel (and thailands tourism industry), are unwilling to accept further negative press headlines eg "Amazing Thailand, enjoy your stay or get jail time".

There is no doubt he gets a private payment as part of settlement, the only question is how much.

Edited by aroiaroi
  • Like 1

Why is it all we hear is the "hotel". Dont they have a spokes person, a manager or owner who can speak on behalf of "the hotel" The damage is done and spread worldwide, so too late for this petulant "hotel" Tell everyone you know just boycott the Sea View Koh Chang. 

20 minutes ago, Mark Evans said:

Why is it all we hear is the "hotel". Dont they have a spokes person, a manager or owner who can speak on behalf of "the hotel" The damage is done and spread worldwide, so too late for this petulant "hotel" Tell everyone you know just boycott the Sea View Koh Chang. 

Sounds like you have some interest in spreading the word coincidence you just join TVF..........? Somebody needs to draw a line under this now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

In your dreams, they know when he gets drunk he will shoot his mouth off like when he said he was a federal agent when drunk in his words  he says stupid stuff when he is drunk

He will have to sign a non-disparagment agreement as part of the settlement.

Apart from protection against future potential lawsuits, the main benefit would be to protect them if investigative journalists from eg, 60 Minutes, approach him and invite him (and pay him thousands) to share his side of the story as part of some hypothetical investigation into the use and abuse of Thailands defamation laws.

If he is drunk, back home, and knows a bit about on-line anonymity, it won't matter, I doubt the hotel will care or can do anything anyhow, he will just appear to be another typical ranting expat.

Edited by aroiaroi

1 hour ago, aroiaroi said:

He will have to sign a non-disparagment agreement as part of the settlement.

Apart from protection against future potential lawsuits, the main benefit would be to protect them if investigative journalists from eg, 60 Minutes, approach him and invite him (and pay him thousands) to share his side of the story as part of some hypothetical investigation into the use and abuse of Thailands defamation laws.

If he is drunk, back home, and knows a bit about on-line anonymity, it won't matter, I doubt the hotel will care or can do anything anyhow, he will just appear to be another typical ranting expat.

I don't think there will be any payment to him. in the unlikely event they did they should pay installments over a long period of time that would guarantee silence as any further gobbing would result in payments stopped

• Thanks 1

NEVER put anything online that is critical of a Thai business or the government. Most of us know it is actionable. Best to keep it to yourself. I always expects the worst of any dealings with Thai people and I am never disappointed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

NEVER put anything online that is critical of a Thai business or the government. Most of us know it is actionable. Best to keep it to yourself. I always expects the worst of any dealings with Thai people and I am never disappointed.

Sensible advice especially if you can be identified. If I posted about all the bad service I have has here it would be longer than War and Peace.

Much have been said about the hotel....why not say something about kee nok farang who refused to pay a corkage charge which is a normal a practice ...you think he would write a one-star review if he got away with a few bahts of corkage...Go get a drink from 7-eleven or cheaper still from Macro.????

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 9:33 AM, BobBKK said:

why shouldn't the guy who stays one night post 4 times that the hotel are 'slavers' and mention the Czech managers nationality? 

Same reason, I guess, that so many in these threads keep mentioning the nationality of the "the Yank."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

See, that's the big difference. I always expect the best of any dealings with Thai people and I'm rarely disappointed. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 2:19 AM, Isaanfreak said:

I do not mind who is in the right. I will not going to use that hotel. No way. Too risky.

Clearly the only thing to do ! and also post reviews please, google has now stopped deleting them !