Tourists Allowed Soon?

This is my first post, and I apologize if it's been discussed. I searched the forums and can't find it.

But, I've seen this wording several places over the past few days....

Tourists seeking to visit Thailand for both short and long terms may also enter. Foreigners wanting to stay for 60 days may seek a 30-day extension, but like the businessmen group, they must have copies of bank statements showing deposits over the past six months of not less than 500,000 baht, or the equivalent.  

And, I can't find details. <removed> - It's written once here.

Does anyone know what this means?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by ubonjoe
removed link to Bangkok Post (forum rule)

Thank You @jackdd I did read that thread. However the 'new' news seems to read in ADDITION to the STV long term Visa, there was a potential for 'short term' as the Bangkok Post said, if you can prove you have 500,000 in deposits in the past 6 months. 

The STV is for 90 days minimum, but this new reporting says 30 or 60 days stays, with proof of bank deposits equaling 500k, which is simply $15,000 or so in the past 6 months....

Edited by jayhon73
Addition

13 minutes ago, jayhon73 said:

@farang51OK great, thanks. That link for STV doesn't mention the 500,000 which is confusing. So I thought this was something more direct & simple.

It's two different visas with different conditions and requirements; you do not need to have 500,000 for the STV.

Edited by farang51

41 minutes ago, jayhon73 said:

@farang51OK great, thanks. That link for STV doesn't mention the 500,000 which is confusing. So I thought this was something more direct & simple.

I thought the 500,000 requirement was for a business visa, a bad way to weed out people who only pretend to be important players at their real or imaginary companies. 

4 hours ago, jayhon73 said:

Gotcha all, thanks. I'll just contact the embassy here. Again, nothing I read about this says you need 500,000 in SAVINGS...just in BANK DEPOSITS over the past 6 months.

Usually the requirement is that your balance has not dropped below x for y months. The METV is like that, and there's some kind of retirement visa that requires a balance of at least 800k for a certain time. In both cases it's the balance that counts, not the deposits. I can't see them running a scheme where you're OK if you've had 500k in deposits even if you've been overdrawn the whole time...

I saw something on twitter about this new entry route (not the STV) and it looked to me to be the same idea. The tweet was fairly short on detail, but the whole reason they want to see your bank statements is that they want to make sure the people they let in are going to spend money.

Anyway, I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon, if it happens at all. A lot of ideas are floated but never get off the drawing board.

5 hours ago, jayhon73 said:

Gotcha all, thanks. I'll just contact the embassy here. Again, nothing I read about this says you need 500,000 in SAVINGS...just in BANK DEPOSITS over the past 6 months.

The rules are always vague, so it gives them a chance to individually interpret them from office to office and embassy to embassy. However, check to embassy as well as Thai news and it will tell you when the time comes.

Edited by Matzzon

19 hours ago, jayhon73 said:

It is not open to every nationality. Lucky if you are Chinese or Scandinavian or from a handful of selected Asian or Pacific countries.