BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

The bizarre story of a royal nanny and Prince Charles's 'special pudding'

One of the fundamental differences between the royals and the rest of us is the Nanny.

While most people are – for better or worse – raised by their parents, young royals spend most of their days with paid domestic staff.

These nannies can become very close to their charges, often ending up almost “family.

But life in the nursery doesn’t always go smoothly. One of Prince Charles ’s nannies was fired after she fell out with Her Majesty the Queen over a “special pudding.”

Royal expert Bryan Kozlowski tells the tale of the special pudding in his upcoming book Long Live the Queen! 13 Rules for Living from Britain's Longest Reigning Monarch.

Edinburgh-born nanny Helen Lightbody ran the royal nursery for eight years from 1948, when Charles was a month old, until she abruptly left in 1956.

She was reportedly warned more than once about being too stern with Charles and his younger sister, Anne.

Nanny Lightbody was by all accounts a difficult customer. She came to be known in the press as "No-Nonsense Lightbody."

Kozlowski writes: "It's said she took pleasure in tormenting the Palace kitchen with her exacting standards.

"Dishes for young Charles were constantly being refused or remade based on little more than Nanny Lightbody's personal whims.”

And when one of Nanny Lightbody’s whims clashed with a command from Her Majesty, she had to go.

"In 1956, the Queen sent the nursery a simple request that Charles, then eight years old, be given a special pudding she thought he might like," Kozlowski writes.

"Nanny Lightbody refused, crossed the dessert from the menu, and incurred the Crown's wrath. Nobody crosses out the Queen's request.

"The Queen eventually had enough and fired her."

FULL ARTICLE

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Edinburgh-born nanny Helen Lightbody ran the royal nursery for eight years from 1948, when Charles was a month old, until she abruptly left in 1956.

It wasn’t a complete break. After she returned home to Scotland she continued to receive a generous pension from the Royal household for the rest of her days.

She must have had some bizarre photos to get a lifelong pension after 8 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Either the headline is misleading or I have a dirty mind.

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2020 at 2:30 AM, onebir said:

The end result of this upbringing: Charles is now Camilla's special pudding

Is that the guy with more medals than all the Thai generals put together? :cheesy:

• Haha 2

Nothing wrong with having nannies if you can afford them. They can look after the children whilst the parents are working. I was fortunate to have a French nanny and consequently I am fluent in French which enabled me to get some very good jobs in my life in fact it was the best part of my education/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gamini said:

Nothing wrong with having nannies if you can afford them. They can look after the children whilst the parents are working. I was fortunate to have a French nanny and consequently I am fluent in French which enabled me to get some very good jobs in my life in fact it was the best part of my education/

But did you ever get to give Nanny some special pudding?😋

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, allanos said:

The fact that the Thai Visa editorial team wasted time and space to post this incredibly puerile story speaks volumes.

Whenever the UK or indeed the foreign press publishes a story about the British royal family, sales rocket. It's always a great idea in any business, including media, to give people what they want.

4 hours ago, allanos said:

The fact that the Thai Visa editorial team wasted time and space to post this incredibly puerile story speaks volumes.

it's the daily mails poor little cousin and just as biased and poorly written..

and what's "bizzare" about this story ???

I understand pulling one's pudding is a euphemism for masturbation.

Posted (edited)
On 10/2/2020 at 2:30 AM, onebir said:

The end result of this upbringing: Charles is now Camilla's special pudding

I thought he wanted to be a tampon  🙈

Edited by Grumpy one

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Is that the guy with more medals than all the Thai generals put together? :cheesy:

Yes and he got the neck to wear them in front of the old soldiers usually in wheelchairs who have been through hell and back and yet don't have half as many medals as Charlie boy has, medals that mummy gave him! (sarc.)

Edited by maxcorrigan
  • Haha 1