BKK - Anyone asking for big rent decrease?

eppic

Interesting topic.  It's all about intent, action, and result.

As suggested before, give a notice to vacate, then negotiate the acceptable rent, to not move.

99% you will be happy with the results.  No landlord wants an empty space, during this time.

• Thanks 1

I started my lease mid feb but had to leave the country end of march, not knowing for how long so with the 2 month penalty for breaking contract in mind, kept with it.

after a month, the outlook was bleak so i asked my agent to simply inform the owner that i was considering terminating and paying the penalty - thinking that if i was him I might offer a concession.... maybe 50% until i returned.  But the message came back saying pay nothing.

i’ve just returned after 6 months out and have paid 2 months rent in that time.

my agent’s last message was the owner is hoping I’ll extend for year two. 

I don’t like getting something for nothing, so I’m a little uncomfortable with what has happened but I never had any dialogue with the owner.  it doesn’t feel like a win-win, but i haven’t been reading forums or investigated the response in the market and so perhaps the owner was hoping I’d return and that by his calculations this was his best strategy

15 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

There's a sign up in my condo building saying foreigners need to produce a negative Covid-19 test result if they want to rent so if the landlords are desperate the condo management haven't got the message.

Have had the same notification from my Condo Management but to clarify that's for new tenants, existing tenants don't need to do anything even if they're renewing (Which I did 1st September). 

Edit to add pic...

0390A631-A9CD-4FA9-A655-55CE29E7FF5D.jpeg

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

What are some websites that Thais themselves use for renting? 

Try Renthub, Bahtsold & Hipflat (I like DDProperty & RIghtmovepattaya as well) but when you find condo buildings you like, go into the condo office to see what they have available as there could be units that are being rented by the owner direct. 

I am in Hua Hin and my friend was paying 12K monthly at a hotel where he had been since last November. They reduced his rent to 7K without even asking. He went around town checking out rentals and found plenty of houses and condos at very large discounts. There are lots of vacancies and while some landlords are firm in their prices, many will negotiate. Also prices for condos and houses are falling fast! Like off half from some who really want to sell? And yeah that included me. I Sold my unused new condo at Siratcha that I had for over 3 years for a little over half of what I paid! But now I know what to offer when I buy in Hua Hin.

• Like 1

You could just look for an alternative place at the price you want to pay (check Facebook marketplace) then give the landlord the option to drop the rent, can even make excuses pretend covid has lowered your income or something like that. If landlord refuses to drop you go to new place, as you've made an income excuse it may not get nasty with the deposit, if it does report the landlord

Edited by scubascuba3

I would shop around and if I found something comparable or better, I'd send a written notice 30 or 60 days before lease ends (whatever timeframe your lease says) and say you're moving because someone is offering you similar product for cheaper. If the landlord is open to a discount, they'll offer you the chance to stay at a lower price.

If you just say "Hey the economy is bad. Can I have a discount?" it comes across as if you're taking advantage of the situation. I think many people wouldn't feel good about it, and like you say... might try to cheat you a bit on the deposit due to hard feelings.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, Surelynot said:

what do you think the landlord would do?...he would screw every last satang out of you.

ok.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, Surelynot said:

I'm also a landlord by the way.

you speak from experience then?

Edited by jastheace

On 10/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, Ireland32 said:

Im doing Air B&B monthly big Savings and lil  deposit , I was asked for 1000b deposit only , Lovin It , 2 br 2 bath Sea view 100sg meter 11,000 a month in Pattaya or Jomtien 

At prices like that it's worth me paying monthly and just using it as a weekend getaway. That would probably work out cheaper than two nights a week in a hotel room.