Trump's Supreme Court nominee advocated overturning legalized abortion

webfact

51 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

mythomsen111

Now "very popular"  Obamacare succeeded in making healthcare so expensive because of its mandates that many employers dumped their employer paid for health care opting to throw their employees on the public Obamacare plans. 

Perhaps your view of "very popular" but when only 42% of Americans supposedly favor Obamacare I hardly call that overwhelming popularity.  Note that the survey which of course is suspect because it is NBC says that it is as popular as it has ever been.  That pretty well demonstrates that it was even less popular before. 

image.png.92e76525a6f7a758a26f7e7b3e520578.png

Well for one thing, expanding the Medicaid option for Obamcare was put up for a vote via referendums in 5 red states. It won in all 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That this debate should be an important issue in American politics shows just how low the USA has sunk in the eyes of the civilised world.  Is there any way back?  I think this marks the beginning of a continuous decline of the American leadership. Anther maybe 20 years and it will be over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterpop said:

That this debate should be an important issue in American politics shows just how low the USA has sunk in the eyes of the civilized world.  Is there any way back?  I think this marks the beginning of a continuous decline of the American leadership. Anther maybe 20 years and it will be over.

It CAN get fixed, starting with voting out 45 and flipping the Senate. Mitch McConnell will likely get re-elected, but Vegas odds makers have the Senate getting flipped. THAT'S how we bring the US back to civility, and it's now been exposed that the health care system does NOT work and too many people making too little money to live on. I wouldn't count America out just yet.

15 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

A bundle of cells is not a human being. It is a potential human being. Not the same thing.

Let's also outlaw male masturbation whilst we're at it. All those potential babies killed.

Weird how most pro-life people also support the death penalty.

And guns. Plenty of guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

More or less sums up the state of all "Western democracies".

All politicians and big business now see themselves as the rulers rather than the servants of their electorates/customers.

One only has to look at what has happened/ is happening during corona thingy to see how politicians think they can dictate to citizens. Democracy is not doing well, IMO.

How crazy radical is Amy Coney Barrett?  She signed along with an organization that believes the discarding of unused or frozen embryos created in the in vitro fertilization (IVF) process should be criminalized! Wow. My wife and I had IVF but not all the eggs were used. I guess we are criminals in Amy's eyes.

Does Amy Coney Barrett Believe Life Begins at Fertilization?

The organization, St. Joseph County Right to Life, in South Bend, Indiana, which holds extreme pro-life beliefs—including the idea that the discarding of unused or frozen embryos created in the in vitro fertilization (IVF) process should be criminalized—took out a full-page newspaper ad in the South Bend Tribune in order to “defend the right to life from fertilization to natural death.” Barrett and her husband, Jesse, were among hundreds of the ad’s signatories; in a recent interview with The Guardian, a representative for the organization confirmed that the group believes doctors who perform abortions should be criminalized.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

A bundle of cells is not a human being. It is a potential human being. Not the same thing.

Let's also outlaw male masturbation whilst we're at it. All those potential babies killed.

Weird how most pro-life people also support the death penalty.

I'm pro choice and I support the death penalty. Unrelated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I support abortion within the first trimester as a last resort and do not support the death penalty because too many innocent men have been executed.

I do wish contraception was free and available over the counter without question to any female that asks for it. Better than abortion, IMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

OK, good for you, but we're not talking about pro-choice people. I'm sure pro-choice is a mixed bag regarding the death penalty.

All the pro-life people I've ever met, and I spent some time in the States, were, without exception, pro-death penalty. Definitely not a coincidence and I have no idea why.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I support abortion within the first trimester as a last resort and do not support the death penalty because too many innocent men have been executed.

I do wish contraception was free and available over the counter without question to any female that asks for it. Better than abortion, IMO.

Yes agreed we only disagree that a confirmed, DNA proven scum should still live after killing and raping a child. The miscarriages were long before DNA gigs and, I agree, they were terrible miscarriages (forgive the pun).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Give it up. She will be confirmed. Please vote November 3rd. and let's return America to its normalcy.

The madness in the USA will continue, IMHO, due to having the underlying issue not being addressed by anyone in national leadership ... save Bernie and he again was shut out by powerful vested interests. The underlying issue? It is evidenced in the justified frustration/anger in the working middle class and is economic. The great irony is that this issue was/is the cause of far too many believing The Donald's promises to address (too bad they did not read his documented history before the 2016 election) ... the irony? It is the same issue demanding to be addressed by the progressives. All addressing the economic income/wealth gap, and this directly affects the unjust political system, the justice system, the healthcare system, the higher education system, etc. at least as a moderate step. 1). raise the minimum wage for the working middle class 2). institute a national healthcare program like all other developed countries provide for their citizens 3). lower any cost of increasing knowledge through higher education (benefitting the individual, business, and the nation through more knowledgable citizens) 4) protect Social Security/Medicare as earned benefits for the retired working middle class.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Yes agreed we only disagree that a confirmed, DNA proven scum should still live after killing and raping a child. The miscarriages were long before DNA gigs and, I agree, they were terrible miscarriages (forgive the pun).

Even DNA test can be faulty or exchanged for another by mistake. Way too many innocents executed for me and anyway, life in prison till death is more of a punishment than a painless death.

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Really? How about "Being the president means never having to tell the truth (so far 20,000+ lies told already)". And being in the present Senate, the majority party never has to call out the president on his lies.

But but but but Trump....

What does Trump lying have to do with a the press lying? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

But but but but Trump....

What does Trump lying have to do with a the press lying? 

When Trump supporters start addressing Trump's lying, they'd have a better footing when making claims about others doing so. Not too complicated.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is it not true that even if Roe v Wade is overturned it is up to the states to make their own policy, as it should be? I fail to see why the federal government is involved in something that is not to do with the security of the nation.

Because overtly conservative/religeous states think they have the right to govern what happens to every womans body because a book told them so.

If it's so important for the overall health of the US female population, then of course the federal government should be in charge. 

8 minutes ago, Morch said:

When Trump supporters start addressing Trump's lying, they'd have a better footing when making claims about others doing so. Not too complicated.

Why do you guys not understand that as long as the Dems are offering Biden/ Harris anti Dems don't care how much Trump lies, IN MY OPINION?

Just now, johnnybangkok said:

Because overtly conservative/religeous states think they have the right to govern what happens to every womans body because a book told them so.

If it's so important for the overall health of the US female population, then of course the federal government should be in charge. 

Is it not true that any US citizen has the right to move to another state? If they want abortions then they can move to a Democrat state.

BTW, IMO abortion is nothing to do with "health" as pregnancy is perfectly normal and people no longer die of it, in the vast majority of cases. Other than in rape, conception is easily prevented nowadays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Bottom line for me? Should I and my significant other be faced with this decision, I would not recognize any law, regulation, disapproval by the right wing demanding that we carry to term, deliver, care for and bear the emotional/financial burden of raising a genetically damaged being. Fortunately, I would have the financial resources to seek medical care in an enlightened country. Foolish to follow an absolute stance, based on personal religious beliefs (and trying to force those beliefs on others), and yet refuse to have social systems in place to care (emotionally and financially) for those who choose not to abort.

Well said.

That's the problem with all the pro-life brigade; they're all about looking after the kid when it's in the womb and don't give a sh&t about it once it's born.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why do you guys not understand that as long as the Dems are offering Biden/ Harris anti Dems don't care how much Trump lies, IN MY OPINION?

Why do you not understand that there are Republicans supporting Biden? As for 'anti Dems', how does that seat with your complaints about not having a policy, only emotional response? Or, for that matter, with the 'haters' meme?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is it not true that any US citizen has the right to move to another state? If they want abortions then they can move to a Democrat state.

BTW, IMO abortion is nothing to do with "health" as pregnancy is perfectly normal and people no longer die of it, in the vast majority of cases. Other than in rape, conception is easily prevented nowadays.

That makes no sense. Many of the people in need of this health service can barely afford 3 meals a day. They can't afford to move, nor should they have to.

Prevention is not 100% effective, accidents happen. This is such a backward thinking approach. It's been shown again and again you won't stop abortions just cuz the gubmint says so. If they're not safely available, back street or self attempted abortions will return. Those were really ugly days and that's what Republicans want, akin to "The Handmaid's Tale."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why on earth should you have to move home, away from family, friends and work just because some religeous nutter or politician trying to garner votes is deciding what is right/wrong for your body? Doesn't the first amendment gaurantee 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof....'

And enough of your expertise AS A MAN on 'pregnancy is perfectly normal and people no longer die of it'. What about genetic mutations meaning a child is born a vegtable? What about the mother losing her life if she brings the child to full term? What about a mother having to give birth to a baby that's been dead inside her for 6 months because she's not allowed to abort? What about the simple case that a young mother never received any sex aducation at school or home (because that happens a LOT in America) is forced to have a baby that means both she and the baby are now subject to a life of being poor, uneducated (because no more school for mummy) and ultimately unhappy?

For every single Modern western country abortion is not even a discussion any more. Only in America is it up for debate. And mostly by men.

1 minute ago, J Town said:

That makes no sense. Many of the people in need of this health service can barely afford 3 meals a day. They can't afford to move, nor should they have to.

Prevention is not 100% effective, accidents happen. This is such a backward thinking approach. It's been shown again and again you won't stop abortions just cuz the gubmint says so. If they're not safely available, back street or self attempted abortions will return. Those were really ugly days and that's what Republicans want, akin to "The Handmaid's Tale."

I stopped watching The Handmaids Tale because of it's IMO overt misandry.

No usually prevents pregnancy. When I was young nice girls said it and didn't get pregnant. However, seems to me that people nowadays just do it anyway and run to the abortion clinic when the inevitable happens. Abortion should be a last resort, not the first option in my old fashioned opinion.

4 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Why on earth should you have to move home, away from family, friends and work just because some religeous nutter or politician trying to garner votes is deciding what is right/wrong for your body? Doesn't the first amendment gaurantee 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof....'

Because one lives in a democracy where politicians are elected to make choices. If one doesn't like the choice available vote for the politicians one likes. If one doesn't want to get pregnant use contraception or say no. Do the deed, take responsibility for the outcome.

Abortion is not a religious issue. It's not even mentioned in the Bible, far as I know. One does not have to be religious to value life, though the pro abortionists portray it that only religious are against abortion.

I support abortion 100% in the first trimester, on demand no questions asked, but I also recognise that in a democracy laws I don't agree with are passed, and we have to obey. The answer is to elect those we support.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Because one lives in a democracy where politicians are elected to make choices. If one doesn't like the choice available vote for the politicians one likes. If one doesn't want to get pregnant use contraception or say no. Do the deed, take responsibility for the outcome.

Abortion is not a religious issue. It's not even mentioned in the Bible, far as I know. One does not have to be religious to value life, though the pro abortionists portray it that only religious are against abortion.

I support abortion 100% in the first trimester, on demand no questions asked, but I also recognise that in a democracy laws I don't agree with are passed, and we have to obey. The answer is to elect those we support.

But it wouldn't be 'chosen' politicians making the choice though would it? It would be gerrymandered SCJ's picked by the ruling party and then dictating their choice to the nation by overturning Roe v Wade. 

Abortion is not a religious issue? Really!! Then how come it's only the religious that are trying to press for it? You may get the odd atheist as pro-life but I can assure you they are a tiny, tiny minority with the vast majority being Christian Enangelicals and the likes. 

Since you support abortion you should also support non religious affiliations in the highest court in the land which is unfortunately what this nomination MAY threaten.