Urgent help required from a Canadian or US Expat.

Utalk2mutt

I am writing this on behalf of a friend who lives in Canada. She has a very close family friend who has a brother currently living in Patong, Phuket. The brother has terminal cancer and the family urgently want him back in Canada where he can see out his final days. The difficulty is he is unable to walk and would need assistance during the flight. The family are offering to pay for a first class ONE way ticket to Edmonton from Bangkok and would also compensate someone for the help they provide during transit. My question is is there anyone here currently in Thailand who would be able to do this? The family are trying to get him back ASAP. Obviously if someone does help it is likely they will have to go through the quarantine process. I would also state the family have even tried hiring an AirMedic but the Airmedic is unable to come into Thailand without a visa and permit for entry plus they would need to do the 2 week quarantine here. If anyone can help please contact me [via PM].

Edited by onthedarkside
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

They should contact Air Canada and his hospital and should be able to coordinate something with them. 

That he can't walk is not that big a deal. 

Air Canada does not fly into Thailand. Quickest turnaround probably would be through HK to Van and onto Edmonton (around 22 - 26 hrs if connections are working which is going to be part of the issue}. Maybe you'll luck out with someone departing due to visa issues and wasn't planning on a quick return. Good luck to them on this difficult task

8 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Air Canada does not fly into Thailand. Quickest turnaround probably would be through HK to Van and onto Edmonton (around 22 - 26 hrs if connections are working which is going to be part of the issue}. Maybe you'll luck out with someone departing due to visa issues and wasn't planning on a quick return. Good luck to them on this difficult task

Yes, but they are Star Alliance and do have a lot of code-share flights out of Bangkok.

One of the Family members can meet him in Hong Kong and travel with him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

you sure they'll let him fly? https://www.mypcnow.org/fast-fact/air-travel-at-the-end-of-life/

have you been in contact with the embassy? What did they tell you?

Yes, I have been informed the Embassy have been contacted but they appear to not be getting too much assistance due to COVID restrictions.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

They should contact Air Canada and his hospital and should be able to coordinate something with them. 

That he can't walk is not that big a deal. 

Thanks, that’s something I will suggest to them.

Isn't this what Medevac is for?

They take care of everything, including a Dr. & Nurses on the flight.

There are very few commercial flights to anywhere from Thailand now, mostly repatriation flights, & those are chartered.  I don't think first class would be an option.

I would also think that anyone willing to do this would expect a return flight to Thailand as well. 

• Like 2

Obviously doesn't need to be a full-trip to Canada!

Someone flying to a mid-way destination (HongKong, Dubai, London, etc.) where the guy could be taken over by someone of his family to do the final air-leg to Canada, would already be a great help.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, but they are Star Alliance and do have a lot of code-share flights out of Bangkok.

One of the Family members can meet him in Hong Kong and travel with him.

still have to get off the plane and wait 3 - 5 hrs in HK (in the busy days, could be more now) to re board another plane to Canada..

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

the last thing I would want is being transported like a piece of meat.

a frozen vegetable would be much better... 

Also. Offering a one way tkt to Edmonton sounds rather disingenuous... I think they are limiting their possibilities to the rare chance that there might be someone from Edmonton who wants to go home and not come back...

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

still have to get off the plane and wait 3 - 5 hrs in HK (in the busy days, could be more now) to re board another plane to Canada..

I did recommend a family member meet him in Hong Kong. Waiting three to five hours in the Star Alliance lounge with a family member or two does not seem that bad to me. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 6:40 PM, Utalk2mutt said:

I would also state the family have even tried hiring an AirMedic but the Airmedic is unable to come into Thailand without a visa and permit for entry plus they would need to do the 2 week quarantine here.

why would airmedic staff need to undergo quarantine?

they should not need to disembark.  land, pick up passenger, leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

contact the thai govt.  see if one ormore of you can come to thailand. money talks.    say goodbye.   i wonder if when he knew he had cancer . last year?????????  why didnt he go home when he had the chance?   he will die in thailand pur and simple.  go to thailand and arrange hiiis death.   

OP, please pay serious attention to those who have already suggested, this is not the time to travel.

Please try instead to get him a beautiful nurse, and a large screen video-conferencing facility to say his peace in comfort.

At this stage of his life, comfort is more important than saying goodbyes.  And it would be much cheaper to do the above.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 10:10 PM, donnacha said:

Unless he is truly miserable in Phuket, he should probably stay there. That journey would be truly exhausting for someone in that condition, and exposure to Covid-19 or other infections could finish him off sooner than expected.

It may have been unintended, but the wording used was:

Sure, the family want that, but is that what he actually wants?

Is it at all possible that he knew what he was doing when he moved to Thailand? I would guess that most of us here have mixed feelings about our home countries, and probably about our families too.

There are no good options in a situation like this but, if family members want to be present at the end, it would be far easier for them to travel to him, even with the two-week quarantine.

I have seen terminally ill people jump through hoops trying to match the expectations of their family but the main factor towards the end is the utter lack of energy, even for short visits. Family members looking for closure rarely get the meaningful conversations they were hoping for.

Of course, perhaps returning to Canada may be his dearest wish, in which case good luck to him. May returning home bring him the closure he needs.

In my case, I have made clear my wish that, in the event of a fatal accident or terminal illness in Thailand, I wish to be quietly cremated here. No drama, no fuss, no ceremony, no wake, certainly no corpse being flown at great expense to my home country.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment(mine would be the same) I am only trying to assist someone with this. I am not nor ever have been privy to conversations that have gone on between the family and nor do I know the sick persons wishes. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, Nanaplaza666 said:

I think you are missing the point claffey and maybe had a few to many while writing this , this is a quit serious situation . I qeus what youthink2mutt is asking and looking for is maybe someone looking to return to canada or amerika anyway and thereby able to assist this sick person . Read again and try to umderstand what you are reading , don't place these stupid replies if your brain can't process what your eyes are looking at . 

Thank you Nana for posting. I am not even going to waste my time responding to Claffeys post. No point at all as they clearly want some kind of reaction from me. All I am doing is passing on what was written to me in trying to find help in a difficult situation. I am not playing judge or jury in this I am Just trying to help someone.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

OP, please pay serious attention to those who have already suggested, this is not the time to travel.

Please try instead to get him a beautiful nurse, and a large screen video-conferencing facility to say his peace in comfort.

At this stage of his life, comfort is more important than saying goodbyes.  And it would be much cheaper to do the above.

Sam please believe me I am paying serious attention to a lot of what has been posted.This is not about me. I was approached by a friend who knows this family very closely and reached out to me because I live in Thailand. This is only about the family and what they are trying to do. I am not saying whether I agree or disagree with their actions. Personally if it was me I would stay here, live as comfortably as I could until my demise. Thanks for your post.

• Like 2