Urgent help required from a Canadian or US Expat.

Utalk2mutt

On 10/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, claffey said:

Let me get this straight!

You are asking a complete stranger to accompany a dying person on a flight from Thailand to Canada. You do realise that the person would then have to go into State Quarantine when returning to Thailand. Before that they would also lose their Thai visa and be stuck in Canada. (they may also need a visa for Canada)  They would have to apply for a new visa, which could take a month or more in Canada and the only way to get one is if you have a Thai family. So they would be also sacrificing not only 100's of thousand of Baht but they risk being stuck in Canada away from their Thai family, in the middle of the greatest crisis of this century. You haven't really thought this request through fully, have you?? or is there also a package you would like them to carry too?? 

On 10/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, claffey said:

Let me get this straight!

You are asking a complete stranger to accompany a dying person on a flight from Thailand to Canada. You do realise that the person would then have to go into State Quarantine when returning to Thailand. Before that they would also lose their Thai visa and be stuck in Canada. (they may also need a visa for Canada)  They would have to apply for a new visa, which could take a month or more in Canada and the only way to get one is if you have a Thai family. So they would be also sacrificing not only 100's of thousand of Baht but they risk being stuck in Canada away from their Thai family, in the middle of the greatest crisis of this century. You haven't really thought this request through fully, have you?? or is there also a package you would like them to carry too?? 

Claffey, All your points make sense.Why would a stranger involve himself in this? I'm Canadian but there is no way I will be returning there any time soon.

The volunteer could be stuck in Canada right in the middle of winter.Does anyone know how cold Edmonton gets? I'm almost 70 and my Thai wife and family have instructions for me to be cremated here. We,ve even picked the temple lol.

I think the family should should try and send someone here to visit.Even that would be a PITA.

I know compassion steps in but under today's restrictions I don't think they'll find many takers .

Not well thought out sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I’m sorry to bother you, but I was a friend of *Name removed*, and I did read your post, needing help to get him back home, I couldn’t help with that, but I was helping Brian in other ways , I met him about 8 years ago , in Phuket, a day after I landed there, feeling disorientated and bewildered by what I’ve already seen in Patong, he was drinking coffee at Starbucks, and started talking to me, that morning was the start of our friendship, he had a talent with words , and should have written a book , that sadly is all history now, he was quite a guy, very open and honest, why am I contacting you,? Well I would like to make contact with his family, I have had contact with both his carers, Katae, and Tom, for some time , but they don’t have any contact with his family, I want to pay my respects to them , after this painful situation has settled a little, so I am hoping you can put me in Touch with any one of his family,  my name is Graham , I’m British,and live in Thailand, I do hope ,you think my intentions are honest and good , Thanks for any help you can give , 

Edited by Scott
Name removed