QUESTION ; Do Provinces surrounding North Bangkok have piped water treated with Chloramine [ Compound of "Chlorine" + "Ammonia" ] prior to entering public mains supply ?

Our Man in the Tropics

Dear Fellow Thaivisa.com Posters,

I would greatly appreciate yer earliest kind replies with convincingly authoritative answers to a particular question which through internet search I have not yet found decisive statement for to know "yay" or "nay" ;

Do the Provinces [ incl. Nonthoburi ] surrounding North of Bangkok have its piped water treated with Chloramine [ Compound of "Chlorine ( 3Cl2 )" + "Ammonia ( 8NH3 )" (  viz.  8NH3 + 3Cl2 --> N2 + 6NH4Cl ) ] prior to entering public mains supply ?

Apologies for any frustrations caused by recent thread basically asking same question ;

This version of thread begins with opening post having been necessarily corrected.

Thanking yee all in advance for yer positive constructive relevant replies anyway.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Any documentation you find from government sites like the PWA (Provincial Water Authority) or other local water companies are likely to be written in Thai. The filter/treatment method will vary by water source.

ex:  http://wqc-portal.pwa.co.th/attachment/topic/84/THMs.pdf

http://wqc-portal.pwa.co.th/attachment/topic/46/Tap_Water_Process_B.2.pdf

• Like 2

Chloramines are not used in water treatment, they are the result of chlorine disinfection. Chlorine reacts with amines in water, such as those found in human and animal urine, bacteria and viruses, to form chloramine compounds.

If the presence of chloramines in tap water for drinking purposes bothers you, simply boil the water. Chlorine and chloramines are removed by steam distillation during boiling.

• Thanks 2

All replies thus far supply very good relevant info. :

I best add my motivation for posing this enquiry ;

Thai technician working on my car has a skin condition claimed to be caused by chlorine in the water he uses to wash himself.

And in my research since about chlorination of public water,- I learn about chloramine.

Ref.

Post #2

RichCor

I used "Find" function within those doc.s for terms "chloramine", & "NH4Cl" ;

Nil results.

This is most hopeful for concluding that chloramine is not [ yet ? ] purposely used in water supply of "these particular provincial water supply authorities" [ I still must uncover what respective provinces these doc.s refer to ].

Ref.

Post #3

Crossy

I have now bookmarked link supplied, & will further explore it.

Ref.

Post #4

tonray

Tasting of public water supply anecdote attesting of strong taste of chlorine is duly noted.

Ref.

Post #5

Lacessit

Crossy's post -- post #3 -- through its link informs the reader that increasing numbers of public water supply authorities worldwide purposely use chloramine.

Also,- my research prior to creating this thread concludes that chloramine cannot be removed by boiling.

However,- the following portion of Lacessit's post is a gem resounding with penetrating logic [ because chloramine is a compound formed from reaction of chlorine + ammonia" ] that I add to my essential findings ;

"Chlorine reacts with amines in water, such as those found in human and animal urine, bacteria and viruses, to form chloramine compounds."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If chlorine but not chloramine is purposely within public water supply,- I believe that the chlorine is eminently removable by simply having a clean basin of the water -- with insect screen effectively completely covering its upper surface -- presented under the hot sun of Thailand for some hours whereby the chlorine evaporates.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

51 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

All replies thus far supply very good relevant info. :

I best add my motivation for posing this enquiry ;

Thai technician working on my car has a skin condition claimed to be caused by chlorine in the water he uses to wash himself.

And in my research since about chlorination of public water,- I learn about chloramine.

Ref.

Post #2

RichCor

I used "Find" function within those doc.s for terms "chloramine", & "NH4Cl" ;

Nil results.

This is most hopeful for concluding that chloramine is not [ yet ? ] purposely used in water supply of "these particular provincial water supply authorities" [ I still must uncover what respective provinces these doc.s refer to ].

Ref.

Post #3

Crossy

I have now bookmarked link supplied, & will further explore it.

Ref.

Post #4

tonray

Tasting of public water supply anecdote attesting of strong taste of chlorine is duly noted.

Ref.

Post #5

Lacessit

Crossy's post -- post #3 -- through its link informs the reader that increasing numbers of public water supply authorities worldwide purposely use chloramine.

Also,- my research prior to creating this thread concludes that chloramine cannot be removed by boiling.

However,- the following portion of Lacessit's post is a gem resounding with penetrating logic [ because chloramine is a compound formed from reaction of chlorine + ammonia" ] that I add to my essential findings ;

"Chlorine reacts with amines in water, such as those found in human and animal urine, bacteria and viruses, to form chloramine compounds."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If chlorine but not chloramine is purposely within public water supply,- I believe that the chlorine is eminently removable by simply having a clean basin of the water -- with insect screen effectively completely covering its upper surface -- presented under the hot sun of Thailand for some hours whereby the chlorine evaporates.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

The amount of chloramine in a water supply depends on the amount of pollution in the water prior to treatment. This is measured by the ratio between Free Available Chlorine ( FAC ) and Total Available Chlorine (TAC). Water authorities try to maintain FAC at 0.5 ppm, or mg/L if you prefer. A TAC measurement is a defacto statement of the amount of chloramine present; however, I am not aware of any standards or limits on the amount of chloramine allowed in drinking water.

Chlorinated organics can usually be detected by the human taste faculty at the part per billion level. I boil all my drinking water. I can't say I have ever detected an off-taste in the water I consume after boiling.

Both chlorine and chloramines result in a statistically higher level of bladder cancer after prolonged consumption. There is also some evidence chloramines are responsible for an increased incidence of soft tissue tumors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Total Available Chlorine (TAC)

A TAC measurement is a defacto statement of the amount of chloramine present

Surely "chloramine" in 2nd quoted section above is a typo ?

Both chlorine and chloramines result in a statistically higher level of bladder cancer after prolonged consumption. There is also some evidence chloramines are responsible for an increased incidence of soft tissue tumors.

And,- some of the compounds that "chlorine" & "chloramine" respectively make with the typical elements, & compounds, in public water supplies are known carcinageens too.

But,- what would be a safe alternative to using :

1_

chlorine ?

2_

chloramine ?

3_

chlorine & chloramine ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Re ; "Cheap [ Hmm m ! per the method below ] " + "Easy" Methods for Removal of ChlorINE from Vessel of Water

e.g.

Boiling the water

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Re ; "Cheap" + "Easy" Methods for Removal of ChlorAMINE from Vessel of Water

e.g.

Optimum amount of Vitamin C* powder stirred into the vessel

*I wish to know if :

actual Vitamin C ?

ascorbic acid ?

I AM LED TO BELIEVE THAT VITAMIN C IS NOT SAME AS ASCORBIC ACID

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

1 hour ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

*I wish to know if :

actual Vitamin C ?

ascorbic acid ?

Take a look at these Google Search results, while it's primarily focused on RO the search results frequently wonder off into other areas of your interest (such as utilizing "C" in bath water):

https://www.google.com/search?q=reverse+osmosis+chloramine

1 hour ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Surely "chloramine" in 2nd quoted section above is a typo ?

And,- some of the compounds that "chlorine" & "chloramine" respectively make with the typical elements, & compounds, in public water supplies are known carcinageens too.

But,- what would be a safe alternative to using :

1_

chlorine ?

2_

chloramine ?

3_

chlorine & chloramine ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Re ; "Cheap [ Hmm m ! per the method below ] " + "Easy" Methods for Removal of ChlorINE from Vessel of Water

e.g.

Boiling the water

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Re ; "Cheap" + "Easy" Methods for Removal of ChlorAMINE from Vessel of Water

e.g.

*I wish to know if :

actual Vitamin C ?

ascorbic acid ?

Ammonium chloride ( NH4Cl ) is an inorganic compound. Chloramines are the reaction product of organic amines and chlorine. They are organic compounds. When chlorine oxidizes and hydrolyses the  protein present in bacteria, viruses and human waste into organic amines, they then combine with free residual chlorine.

There are alternatives to chlorine such as ozonation, boiling and UV disinfection. However, chlorine is the cheapest. It is ineffective in destroying larger oocysts such as giardia and cryptosporidia, only boiling does that.

Vitamin C and ascorbic acid are one and the same.

The invoice for this chemistry lesson will be sent to you by PM.

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Chloramines are the reaction product of organic amines and chlorine. They are organic compounds

"They" [ above ] = Organic Amines ?

Chloramine -- a compound without any Carbon atome -- is by that very fact NOT an organic compound ?

Organic Chemistry is Carbon Chemistry ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When chlorine oxidizes and hydrolyses the  protein present in bacteria, viruses and human waste into organic amines, they then combine with free residual chlorine.

Very elegantly put for what is very cogent.

Thanks for that ;

However,- there is also the practise by increasing numbers of public water supply authorities to add isolated Chloramine to the water supply :

in addition to Chlorine

as substitute to Chlorine

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chlorine

is ineffective in destroying larger oocysts such as giardia and cryptosporidia, only boiling does that.

Thanks for that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Vitamin C and ascorbic acid are one and the same.

Of course ;

My apologies for flippant use of term "ascobic acid" when I meant to say "citric acid" ;

Vitamin C = Ascorbic Acid IS DIFFERENT CHEMICAL TO Citric Acid

I am no accomplished high school chemistry student,- regrettably ;

They who excel at that science have a love, & flair, for understanding it.

Thank u, Lacassit, for sharing ur knowledge & understanding acquired from ur talent & application per that subject.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

"They" [ above ] = Organic Amines ?

Chloramine -- a compound without any Carbon atome -- is by that very fact NOT an organic compound ?

Organic Chemistry is Carbon Chemistry ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very elegantly put for what is very cogent.

Thanks for that ;

However,- there is also the practise by increasing numbers of public water supply authorities to add isolated Chloramine to the water supply :

in addition to Chlorine

as substitute to Chlorine

Chlorine

Thanks for that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Of course ;

My apologies for flippant use of term "ascobic acid" when I meant to say "citric acid" ;

Vitamin C = Ascorbic Acid IS DIFFERENT CHEMICAL TO Citric Acid

I am no accomplished high school chemistry student,- regrettably ;

They who excel at that science have a love, & flair, for understanding it.

Thank u, Lacassit, for sharing ur knowledge & understanding acquired from ur talent & application.

You're welcome.

There are carbon atoms in a chloramine. By definition, an amine is an organic compound with a nitrogen atom linked to a carbon alkyl or aromatic group. There are primary, secondary and tertiary amines, e.g. R-NH2, R-NH-R, R-N=R2.

Again by definition, organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds. Although simple compounds such as carbon dioxide or metal carbides are classed as inorganic.

You are helping me brush up on my second year degree level organic chemistry, where I had an excellent teacher who could communicate his love of the subject. I guess that level is now high school chemistry, with the passage of half a century.

Edited by Lacessit

On 10/2/2020 at 10:30 PM, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Chloramine [ Compound of "Chlorine ( 3Cl2 )" + "Ammonia ( 8NH3 )" (  viz.  8NH3 + 3Cl2 --> N2 + 6NH4Cl ) ]

I see no Carbon atom in 6NH4Cl

I see only :

N = Nitrogen

H = Hydrogen

Cl = Chlorine

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

But,- there are covalent Carbon-Carbon compounds & other Carbon compunds formed

When chlorine oxidizes and hydrolyses the  protein present in bacteria, viruses and human waste into organic amines, they then combine with free residual chlorine.

strictly speaking is it not the case ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What would otherwise scholars of chemistry be inclined to pursue prior to chemistry becoming a distinct science ?

Ammonium chloride is an inorganic compound. It is not a chloramine. Ammonia is not an amine.

I'm not sure when chemistry became a distinct science, one would have to go back to the Middle Ages. It's a very simple branch now, compared to the likes of biochemistry, molecular biology, and quantum physics. If my parents could have afforded it, I would have liked to have pursued a career in forensic pathology.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Ammonium chloride is an inorganic compound. It is not a chloramine.

This is significant contradiction for me in what I was led to believe from early part of the quest

What are the Chemical Formulae of the typical Chloramines ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Ammonia is not an amine.

OK

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

U ended up in a job as a scientist [ even as "formal" teacher of science ] ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Winston Churchill is reported as having taken distinct interest in the forensic pathology of Dr. Crippen's victims.

He is said to then have used the knowledge gleaned from his friend the testifying pathologist to deadly effect ;

Churchill's mother

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And,- to clean up the lab he used a non-chemical means I seem to recall to dispatch with ;

the Pathologist himself

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And,- to erase his verbal record intimated cryptically,- he eliminated by very most unlikely proxy ;

Lawrence of Arabia

I was never a teacher, would not have had the patience necessary.

I was a research scientist in the steel industry, specializing ( if that's the right word for a very diverse field ) in process chemistry.

9 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Very interesting for me ;

I aim to get a good 1st year university handle on metalurgical chemistry through independent studies that may take some years while I attend to other pursuits similarly.

Metallurgy is a separate science from chemistry. Both branches would probably get upset if you used that term.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Metallurgy is a separate science from chemistry. Both branches would probably get upset if you used that term.

What is the correct term for the general -- but deep -- study & manipulation of the "element" & "alloy" [ mixture ] & "chemical compound", level structures of metals ? 

What is the correct term for CHEMICAL study & manipulation of the "element" & "alloy" [ mixture ] & "chemical compound", level structures of metals ? 

2 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

What is the correct term for the general -- but deep -- study & manipulation of the "element" & "alloy" [ mixture ] & "chemical compound", level structures of metals ? 

What is the correct term for CHEMICAL study & manipulation of the "element" & "alloy" [ mixture ] & "chemical compound", level structures of metals ? 

Metallic elements and alloys fall with in the realm of metallurgy. Chemical compounds of metals are in the field of inorganic chemistry, except when they are combined with organic carbon compounds, in which case they are organometallics. The electrochemistry of metals is otherwise known as corrosion science.

You've reminded me of an old joke. A chemical engineer is someone who is smarter than an engineer, but not smart enough to be a chemist.

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Metallic elements and alloys fall with in the realm of metallurgy. Chemical compounds of metals are in the field of inorganic chemistry, except when they are combined with organic carbon compounds, in which case they are organometallics. The electrochemistry of metals is otherwise known as corrosion science.

Thanks, Lacessit, for relaying these classifications ;

U have saved me much reading to get handle on the differences.

It will be the category known as Metallurgy which I will study independently over the coming years ;

Metaporical new "little filings" every day if possible.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Afterthought ;

Metallurgy is :

a sub-set of Material Science ?

OR

NOT necessarily a sub-set of Material Science ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have inventions & innovations to develop ;

So,- I must get good handle on Mettalurgy ... inter alia

On 10/2/2020 at 10:30 PM, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Do the Provinces [ incl. Nonthoburi ] surrounding North of Bangkok have its piped water treated with Chloramine [ Compound of "Chlorine ( 3Cl2 )" + "Ammonia ( 8NH3 )" (  viz.  8NH3 + 3Cl2 --> N2 + 6NH4Cl ) ] prior to entering public mains supply ?

Where are you finding documentation that "Chloramin" or even an "Ammonia" compound is being administered into a public water system (and isn't pre-present or an after byproduct of the treatment process)?

This Google Search produces interesting results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Thailand+Ammonia+drinking+water

See also:

WQA.org:  Ammonia in Drinking Water

WHO:       water sanitation health - Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality - ammonia.pdf

Lenntech: Water Treatment Chemicals and process equipment 

(Americas, MiddleEast, European water treatment vendor) 

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

Where are you finding documentation that "Chloramin" or even an "Ammonia" compound is being administered into a public water system (and isn't pre-present or an after byproduct of the treatment process)?

Chloramin [ sic. ] ;

Should be Chloramine

Not being petty, & I deplore pettiness ;

But,- we must be accurate here because terms in area such as this often differ semantically by a few letters, or even only 1 letter, & a reader may not have followed the sequence of posts here.

Ref.

CHLORAMINE CHEMICAL AS DELIBERATE ADDITION TO PUBLIC WATER SUPPLIES

[ increasingly more Authorities ( worldwide ? ) are doing so ; But,- seemingly NOT in provinces north of Bangkok, & perhaps NOT in Thailand ]

e.g.

Ref.

United States of America "Environmental Protection Agency" [ E.P.A. ]

https://www.epa.gov/dwreginfo/chloramines-drinking-water#

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Thanks, RichCor, for ur response ;

To be steadfast to my purpose of creating this thread,- I wish to avoid delving much into the various typical compounds & pathogens, in public water supplies in Thailand, & especially in provinces neighbouring the North of Bangkok ;

That information supplied by Lacessit should suffice,- ... I hope ????  

That hope trying to ignore the fact that Oligarchs such as Messr.s His-&-His -- Mr. Kill Bill-&-Mr. Melinda -- would have our supply flush with androgeny-causing chems & contraceptives & aborficants.

REITERATION OF MY MOTIVATION IN PURSUING THIS ENQUIRY

Ref.

This thread's #6 post

_ _ _ my motivation for posing this enquiry ;

https://www.epa.gov/dwreginfo/chloramines-drinking-water#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramines

http://www.wqa.org/learn-about-water/common-contaminants/chloramine

After reading this reference, I have to say I was not aware of the existence of these compounds or their nomenclature. I was always taught a chloramine is a compound of chlorine and an organic amine. I have never heard of of inorganic amines until now, so I guess my chemistry is out of date. The nomenclature I was taught would probably refer to monochloramine as nitrogen dihydrogen chloride.

Apparently monochloramine is used widely in the US as a supplemental disinfectant to chlorine itself. I don't know if Thailand has followed suit.

The water supply in Australia is derived mostly from rainfall, with a small percentage of bore water. In America, most water supply is groundwater. I understand 95% of mains drinking water to major US cities is actually recycled waste water after what is euphemistically described as tertiary treatment, so perhaps that is why I only ever drank bottled water any time I was there.

Presumably the water authorities in America feel extra disinfection is necessary, after all the water is recycled Number 1 and Number 2. Personally, I would be wary of such compounds as carcinogens, due to their potential to react further to nitrosamines, which are really bad actors.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

CHloramin [ sic. ] ;

Should be Chloramine

Sorry, that was definitely a typo. Recently replaced the keyboard on my laptop and the keystrike acceptance rate is about 92%, and my missives have missing letters galore.

Also, I forgot to add the Lenntech entry on chloramines

Lenntech: Disinfectants Chloramines

If you are curious about the level of Chlorine (free or total) or Chloramines maybe you could use some liquid or test strips to see if the actual level is 0 or somewhere higher but below the usual 4 mg/L recommended level.

I also wonder if your guy is having an allergic reaction to *something* in the water.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Sorry, that was definitely a typo. Recently replaced the keyboard on my laptop and the keystrike acceptance rate is about 92%, and my missives have missing letters galore.

Also, I forgot to add the Lenntech entry on chloramines

Lenntech: Disinfectants Chloramines

If you are curious about the level of Chlorine (free or total) or Chloramines maybe you could use some liquid or test strips to see if the actual level is 0 or somewhere higher but below the usual 4 mg/L recommended level.

I also wonder if your guy is having an allergic reaction to *something* in the water.

Allergy is an immune response. As all our immune systems are different, we react differently.

There is also the issue of enhanced immune response, as the body reacts to repeated exposure with increased vehemence.

I once knew a health inspector who, as part of his job had to go into fish markets. His allergy got to the stage he only needed to stand at the door of a shed processing prawns, and his face would blow up like a pumpkin. Only a few molecules required to set him off.

I'd suggest the guy in the OP's post has probably developed an allergy to a chemical in the water, and it will only get worse with more exposure. Under those circumstances, the only viable solution is to find another occupation.

• Like 1

Yet again,- all great replies ;

Thank yee.

I am currently far from that technician's location ;

It will be some weeks before I may be able to re-visit ;

Whence I will diligently elegantly relay what I have learnt here to him.

YES,- THE MAN'S IMMUNE SYSTEM HAS REACTED AGAINST SOME SUBSTANCE

I GUESS THAT WE CAN JUSTIFIABLY REFER TO HIS REACTION AS AN ALLERGY

And,- the allergic reaction could get worse.

I wonder myself if his skin condition is separately, or also, caused by a different factor ;

e.g.

engine coolants other than water

Still,- his boss did say in our presence that Chlorine is the culprit though ;

So,- I presume that medic have studied his personal condition & decided it is caused by Chlorine ;

But,- to what extent did they study his personal condition ?

Returning to other hazardous liquids that may, or may not, be staining too ;

QUESTION ;

What good + cheap Barrier Cream would yee recommend ?

And, not forgetting that a Barrier Cream may cause allergic reaction too.

And,- latex inspection glooves can.

And,- the internally-powdered version of latex inspection glooves can.

A possible reaction is hand becoming greasy, & with subsequent use of the offending glooves they become like a jelly.

Heart attack a final possibility I gather.

I suspect that condoms can cause similar allergies with some users.