New police chief lays down the law: No more checkpoints nationwide

rooster59

2 minutes ago, rioD said:

In Pattaya it seems most of the drivers stopped at roadside checks are foreigners, so it seems maybe the new chief is trying to cutdown on corruption and post pay day roadside checks wherein foreigners pay on site or are sent in mass to the station to pay tickets alongside 200 other foreigners cited for any infraction the officer could find.

In Pattaya most check stops the police wave me through..... I certainly don't look Thai.

Do you get stopped often ?

Edited by Don Mega

On 10/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, Bluetongue said:

Perhaps the fixed extortion points on Highway 304 might go, the ones where everyone has to slow down, drive through the cones, and the truck drivers at certain times automatically pay 20 baht (well at least it was a couple of years ago).

Yes, these ones on Highway 304 that are on both sides between Wang Nam Khiao and Kabin Buri over the mountains through the UNESO site are notably cynical and blatantly farm the traffic, at 500 baht a pop, as it's the only way to go (without a long detour) if you want to travel there. If there were any fixed police stops that need to be discontinued, then these are prime examples of the blatant extortion of motorists that goes on all the time and are manned by keen fascists.

Edited by Brigand

I once hired a father-son team to drive me a long distance in their nice pick-up, the son behind the wheel, we go pulled over at a check point and and I was required to sign and pay a 200 baht fine because the son didn't have a license it seemed. Then we just continued on our journey of course. Needless to say there was no tip at the end.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, PatOngo said:

The drug traffickers will be ecstatic! The police chief has iced it!

Exactly, they call meth, Ice in NZ. 

This must mean the drug running is loosing money due to covid tourism losses. So now they can speed up the delivery and sales to local people, meanwhile drunken drivers can guzzle at will, kill and mame and police can supplement their income losses by taking cash for DUI. 

9 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Exactly, they call meth, Ice in NZ. 

This must mean the drug running is loosing money due to covid tourism losses. So now they can speed up the delivery and sales to local people, meanwhile drunken drivers can guzzle at will, kill and mame and police can supplement their income losses by taking cash for DUI. 

They've got it all worked....and sometimes we call them stupid! ????

18 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

????Never seen any problems with the checkpoints and It has been proven in many countries that the police among the public and in traffic slow down crime and those who break speed limits????

This is patently untrue....

how on earth do you think a check[point can catch speeders?

The only way to actually catch them is by speed checking equipment that is legally calibrated and operated by trained officers and enforced with a follow up legal and fine collection system.

I don't know where you get your information from, but it is simp[ly wrong - Checkpoints are only used in special circumstances in ALL countries with low road crash stats. The way they are employed in Thailand actually presents a traffic hazard....and nothing else.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2020 at 10:40 AM, AbeNormal said:

good idea, wait until a drunk driver injures or kills some innocent victim then test them

no comprehension of crime prevention

this is very disturbing

If they are rich enough they can leave the country and continue living the high style

So we can expect the already infamous road death statistics going through the roof in the near future as drivers and riders no longer need to worry about paying fines for DUI offenses, overloading vehicles, driving without a license, not wearing a seatbelt / helmet, etc.

Let the carnage begin! 

3 minutes ago, djayz said:

So we can expect the already infamous road death statistics going through the roof in the near future as drivers and riders no longer need to worry about paying fines for DUI offenses, overloading vehicles, driving without a license, not wearing a seatbelt / helmet, etc.

Let the carnage begin! 

Do you seriously think that checkpoints are actually keeping casualties DOWN? - They have been per 100k, amongst the highest in the world for years - don't you think that might be because Thailand is doing something wrong?

On 10/3/2020 at 9:50 AM, rooster59 said:

An order ending the notoriously unpopular roadside checks was dated yesterday and published by INN.

This will mean an end to roadside checks for DUI in particular as the new chief wants to see greater transparency with tests being done in hospitals

It’s was only unpopular for foreigners being check. They never did anything to the Thai citizens other than use the excuse they are poor and have no money. This decision has open the door for all criminal activities, more DUI’s and up the death toll on the motorways and streets. 

Putting Up more CCTV cameras, what are they going to accomplish? 

????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Do you seriously think that checkpoints are actually keeping casualties DOWN? - They have been per 100k, amongst the highest in the world for years - don't you think that might be because Thailand is doing something wrong?

I sincerely believe that checkpoints deter people (here, a minority albeit) from drink driving, overloading their trucks and ignoring basic safety standards. I also believe that stricter on the spot penalties should be imposed at these checkpoints in the form of hefty fines, confiscating vehicles and time behind bars. More, not less, needs to be done. This is a step in the wrong direction and just signals to road users that anything goes. People need to be trained. 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2020 at 10:36 AM, spidermike007 said:

o, even if this clown was sincere, which of course he is not, where would you begin to change that culture? You know where? You would double all salaries. And invest in modern equipment, forensic labs and an effective highway patrol. Probably a trillion baht to start.

Well that will save a sub or two, although I can't say the Chinese will be too happy about it

I hope they focus their efforts on road safety.  Set up speed traps with traffic cops.  Hand out heavy fines for driving while intoxicated.  I don't think they will though.

I feel a bit meh about Thai police.  Both my wife's parents got killed in hit and runs.  Her friend's parents got run off the road the other day, obviously the guy never stopped.  

Checkpoints were moderately effective.  What will the cops do now?  I worry for Thailand.

3 minutes ago, smi11ie said:

I hope they focus their efforts on road safety.  Set up speed traps with traffic cops.  Hand out heavy fines for driving while intoxicated.  I don't think they will though.

I feel a bit meh about Thai police.  Both my wife's parents got killed in hit and runs.  Her friend's parents got run off the road the other day, obviously the guy never stopped.  

Checkpoints were moderately effective.  What will the cops do now?  I worry for Thailand.

Checkpoints were effective for what? Can yo break that one down for us? Other than the 15-60 minute delays they caused, on the main highways, I do not see what they accomplished.

The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. And the idea of getting the highway patrol, out of their air conditioned office, away from the playing card tables, and out onto the highways, would work, if they were willing to actually do it. Instead, they only show up after an accident. That is the only time I see them at work. Ever. Pulling over someone for reckless driving, is unheard of. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law.
When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, or semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do.

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct?

All the checkpoints do is clog traffic on the highways, and put alot of cash into the pockets of the toy police. It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, trucks and 40 year old cars occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference.

Some things to bear in mind, if you are driving here:

1. The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary.

2. If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.
3. Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times.
4. Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.
5. Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway. Assume they will disrespect you, and show you no courtesy or consideration, because your vehicle is smaller than theirs.
6. If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great Positive News this morning, this guy made my day, it's a bit early to celebrate with a drink

but what the heck I am not driving today.

I feel like sending this guy a vintage bottle of whiskey but that would be classified as "bribery".

"I drink to make other people more interesting".       Ernest Hemingway

Checkpoints are moderately effective because it is a form of visible policing.  I agree it is mostly a money making exercise although they do occasionally stop a drug cargo.  It is also a chance for them to show off their swanky uniforms and cool sunglasses.

Edited by smi11ie
spelling

Instead of having a Registration Sticker on the car window, they should copy Australia which uses

electronic technology to eliminate the need for a sticker. That's one of the reasons for the use of Checkpoints. 

Replying to post #140, I can't help being reminded of some reading I did regarding average national IQs around the world. Thais seem to fall around a number of 90, whereas the benchmark uses Americans and Europeans at around 100 for the sake of the curve. Sorry if saying so hurts anyone's feelings. But I don't think this can account for what we see on the roads. I feel it has to be more cultural. It really is incredible. 

3 hours ago, djayz said:

I sincerely believe that checkpoints deter people (here, a minority albeit) from drink driving, overloading their trucks and ignoring basic safety standards. I also believe that stricter on the spot penalties should be imposed at these checkpoints in the form of hefty fines, confiscating vehicles and time behind bars. More, not less, needs to be done. This is a step in the wrong direction and just signals to road users that anything goes. People need to be trained. 

Correct answer.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

Instead of having a Registration Sticker on the car window, they should copy Australia which uses

electronic technology to eliminate the need for a sticker. That's one of the reasons for the use of Checkpoints. 

Then Thais could ignore registration too as they do with insurance, driver licensing and speeding fines issued electronically by speed cameras.

41 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Replying to post #140, I can't help being reminded of some reading I did regarding average national IQs around the world. Thais seem to fall around a number of 90, whereas the benchmark uses Americans and Europeans at around 100 for the sake of the curve. Sorry if saying so hurts anyone's feelings. But I don't think this can account for what we see on the roads. I feel it has to be more cultural. It really is incredible. 

It's pretty simple.

A complete lack of driver education and training combined with an almost total lack of law enforcement gets us where we are today in Thailand. 

Blame? A total lack of leadership and management of what is a very real crisis, and that rests solely on the shoulders of the current government.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's pretty simple.

A complete lack of driver education and training combined with an almost total lack of law enforcement gets us where we are today in Thailand. 

Blame? A total lack of leadership and management of what is a very real crisis, and that rests solely on the shoulders of the current government.

Don't totally blame the current government as it's just mimicking the performance of previous governments when it comes to law enforcement.  Always a lot of talk about law enforcement and fighting corruption but in reality little to no concrete action.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Don't totally blame the current government as it's just mimicking the performance of previous governments when it comes to law enforcement.  Always a lot of talk about law enforcement and fighting corruption but in reality little to no concrete action.

Previous governments failed but it's happening on this government's watch so it is their responsibility. 

What went before should have no bearing on the current government's expected performance and results.