Joint pain, is it gout or arthritis?

jak2002003

On 10/3/2020 at 7:36 PM, Bender Rodriguez said:

eat too much organ meats? 

Gout  is a disease caused by Uric acid precipitation Which is a substance It is obtained from the degradation of purine, which is abundant in high-protein meats such as poultry. Organ offal, squid, shellfish, crabs or small fish that eat whole bones, such as anchovies, canned sardines.

there is a THAI herb for sale you "could" try

before anyone says quack to a proven THAI herbal medicine HUNDREDS of years old

https://www.google.com/search?q=thai+herb+for+gout

when people say quack when they have zero knowledge in herbal medicine, TCM, Ayurveda, I say, you are the ignorant QUACK that has been brainwashed by big pharma that everything needs to be CHEMICAL for big profits while originally and for hundreds of years, everything was HERBAL & NATURAL and it is only the patenting of a certain modification of a molecule to sell it 1000x original price for PROFITS and not for the benefit of the people

THANKS SO MUCH....

Allopurinol , is to prevent increased uric acid. It works by reducing the production of uric acid and is used to prevent gout attacks, not to treat them once they occur.I take 400 mg a day , I have suffered with gout for years , the last 2 years I have been taking Allopurinol .At first I suffered with more attacks so I took the usual gout medication.After about 3 months my attacks were not as frequent .Go an get a blood test done and while you are there get a cholesterol test done as well. Takes about 45 minute from the hospital.  

• Like 1

Gout is a complex form of arthritis. I get gout few times a year varies big toe,knee, finger. I keep gout medicine handy it’s very painful sometimes.

You can get gout medicine at most pharmacies. .. I’m 66.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:39 PM, fdsa said:

Too young for arthritis, could be just a random inflammation, go visit a doctor.

arth = joint 

itis = infamation

gout is a type of arthritis.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Seeall said:

Allopurinol IS WHAT THE HOSPITAL PUT ME ON, BUT WITHOUT TELLING ME THE PAIN COULD GET WORSE BEFORE BETTER.. TYPICAL...

Suspect doctor prescribed allopurinol for use after gout attack ended - it is never used during an attack AFAIK.  

9 hours ago, Seeall said:

Allopurinol IS WHAT THE HOSPITAL PUT ME ON, BUT WITHOUT TELLING ME THE PAIN COULD GET WORSE BEFORE BETTER.. TYPICAL...

This what the doctor put me on AFTER telling me I had to have special blood test to see if I am allergic to the drug as I could die if I was. Blood taken and sent to special lab.

Personally I did not mention name of drug in case someone went out and bought it over the counter (yes you can do) and has allergic reaction and dies.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:12 AM, jak2002003 said:

Thanks for replies. Seems a bit of a bother to go to a hospital and get blood tests just for one painful knuckle and achy big toe.  I also hate having needles and hospitals !!!  

However, if it's not cleared up or if it gets worse in a month o will go and get a blood test.

I think arthritis in my finger is possible even in my 40s. That is the thing I really don't want it to be as my hobby is playing piano????. I was most worried about that...as my mother had bad arthritis in her hands and I read it can be genetic. 

I have gout and it sounds like you have it.

See a consultant, not a normal Dr. I was not diagnosed by western GPs for years and a Thai consultant in Chiang Mai diagnosed it in 5 minutes.

A useless western GP told me to lose weight and did not even consider gout.

Also-

DRINK LOTS OF WATER EVERY DAY- that means lots and lots and lots.

I found Nurofen did nothing for the pain, but Voltaren 75mg SR ( slow release ) worked brilliantly. Be aware Voltaren can cause it's own severe problems if taken incorrectly or for too long. I used it ONLY DURING AN ATTACK for pain. DO NOT use it long term unless told by a Dr to do so.

I was getting gout in different joints- feet, knees and elbows every 6 weeks or so till I started drinking lots. If I don't drink enough I get it again.

Always check side effects of medication yourself as Drs don't always do so.

Don't self diagnose off the internet, but the internet will tell you which food to avoid.

I think arthritis in my finger is possible even in my 40s. That is the thing I really don't want it to be as my hobby is playing piano

If it is gout your fingers will be fine if you can stop the gout happening, and even if it does happen the effect only lasts as long as the attack.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 10/3/2020 at 4:39 PM, fdsa said:

Too young for arthritis, could be just a random inflammation, go visit a doctor.

Actually, kids can get a kind of arthritis called juvenile idiopathic arthritis or JIA (it's also called juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, or JRA). Juvenile means young, so this means that JIA is different from the arthritis that adults get. Kids can have many different types of arthritis, but JIA is the most common.

On 10/3/2020 at 7:39 PM, fdsa said:

I am not a Doctor but from experience it is definitately Gout .I got my first attack in my early 20"s and for the next 10 years attacks about 3 times a year .I then went to my Doctor and a blood test confirmed a high build up of uric acid which is the cause of gout. Since then I take 1/300mg.of Allopurinol daily and for the last 30 years no problem. Yes it is a form of arthritis.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 6:12 PM, jak2002003 said:

Seems a bit of a bother to go to a hospital and get blood tests just for one painful knuckle and achy big toe.  I also hate having needles and hospitals !!! 

Just the sort of stoicism that my late father exhibited when he said his regular doctor's recommendation of hospitalization for tests for some un-diagnosed, low-level but persistent discomfort in his lower back and upper abdomen was going a bit over the top.

Then he had the aneurysm in his descending aorta...

My gout story:

First time I had a gout attack was in my late 20s and it was in the joint at the base of my big toe. I was camping remotely on a 2 week fishing trip and had to hop on one leg to the shower block for more than a week. Fellow campers offered me Zyloprim (alopurinol) which didn't help, and in fact made things worse. I found out later it shouldn't be taken during an attack.

Anti-inflammatorys and colchicine stop attacks, The latter taken in quantity eventually induces diarrhea which generally brings things back to normal.

As it seemed hereditary (mother), my doctor, at the time, put me on Zyloprim for the long term. which prevented further attacks until I, stupidly, stopped the medication. Gout attacks eventually resumed and I treated them with Indocid which kept it under control for several decades. I increased the dosage, as needed, to the point I was taking large quantities daily. Being able to buy a large amount (1000 tabs) over the counter in Thailand kept me going for several years.

One day a middle toe started to resemble a mushroom and it eventually split open and exuded a white substance containing gout crystals. I then sought treatment at hospital. On doctors advice I stopped the indocid cold turkey, which was an horrific experience in itself. Without that drug in my system the gout took over and I was diagnosed with chronic tophus gout. I spent some time flat on my back in extreme pain unable to use wrists, fingers, elbow, neck, etc. The only unaffected joints were my replacement hips. At one stage my elbows developed large protrudences full of gout crystals which the doctor syringed out. She put me on Uloric (febuxostat), a very expensive alternative to alopurinol. Over several years my uric acid level has come down from the high 9s to 4.1.  Most of my body is now gout free, but it still lingers in feet and ankles preventing me from being able to walk. I've never suffered from kidney stones.

If you've read this far, the moral is - prevention is better than the cure!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bodga said:

will herbal medicine  sew a  leg back on?

hahaha, funny

will your chemical pill do that?

I am all for orthodox EMERGENCY MEDICINE , like loss of limbs, car/motosay accident, broken bones, etc...

all the rest is a chronic plaster on a wooden leg

if you stop your chemical pill, will you be cured, not need it anymore, it is caused by the food you eat or you don't care, because you can just take another chemical pill for that...

6 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

hahaha, funny

will your chemical pill do that?

I am all for orthodox EMERGENCY MEDICINE , like loss of limbs, car/motosay accident, broken bones, etc...

all the rest is a chronic plaster on a wooden leg

if you stop your chemical pill, will you be cured, not need it anymore, it is caused by the food you eat or you don't care, because you can just take another chemical pill for that...

Is the food you eat not a combination of chemicals? 

On 10/5/2020 at 7:12 AM, lopburi3 said:

Suspect doctor prescribed allopurinol for use after gout attack ended - it is never used during an attack AFAIK.  

Was during a long attack, not screaming but hard to walk.. told her.. se was more interested in completing the checkup package.. explained my levels where high indicating gout after I showed her my 2 lumpy toe joints.. so thanks for the update doc... so , thaks to postyers here and a LOT of reasearch I now take short term to get me through the day and staying on the Allopurinall for overall levels hoping to deacreace.. I nearly threw them out the other day...  now gone gout veggy as well, so I guess I wont know what works.. just hope it does.... thanks all...

On 10/5/2020 at 5:52 PM, Old Croc said:

At one stage my elbows developed large protrudences full of gout crystals which the doctor syringed out.

I had the large bulge on my elbow. I didn't go to the Dr and it eventually went away. My Dr told me I got pain in my legs from wearing flip flops and I needed special shoes! I only go to see him when I need prescription renewed.

So lucky in LOS with over the counter medications.

On 10/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, BritManToo said:

Not likely.

Happens in all your fingers in the same joint.

Really? I did not know that. You have given me hope.

The finger is still a little stiff to move and the hard lump is still on the side...but it's not hurting all the time now, and does not hurt so much when I bend it.