Smoking bacon

stouricks

Cannot find the FOOD forum/topic. Please move this.

I read a while back about guys smoking their own bacon after curing the belly pork with salt/sugar/Prague powder 1.

I did this and very little water came out in two weeks. Now I am looking at a site about smoking it in a conventional oven.

Set at 150F with a pan of woodchips at the bottom, the meat surrounded by tin-foil.

Please, how can wood chips smoke at such a low temperature?

Thanks Chip & Norfolk, but both of these are for COOKING the food, I want to SMOKE the cured bacon. Many sites say get the internal temperature of the meat up to 150F by having the oven at 200F. Not hot enough to create smoke, and using charcoal gets the oven too hot and COOKS the bacon which is not what I want.

I guess I want a COLD SMOKING method. Any further advice please.

Edited by stouricks

Cold Smoking is done with temperatures in the range 60 thru to 80 F. Are you intending to smoke for days on end, in your oven.

I place an electric ring at the bottom of my smoker. Put some soaked wood chips in a container. When smouldering place the bacon the highest you can get. Close the lid. Times vary but I never leave the bacon in for more then 2 hours. Comes out smoky and uncooked.

Experiment is the key. Best of luck.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Is the sodium nitrite in the Prague Powder there to kill any bad bacteria in the meat?

I don't even know what is Prague powder. Is it saltpeter? Saltpeter surely kills bacteria but you can only apply it on the outside. One thing I know for sure that in Central Europe where I'm from and cold smoking is done at almost every household in the countryside you only smoke meat from November to February if the temperature is under 5-10 Celsius. Proper cold smoking takes days and even though bacteria tends to spread from outside to the core it is a big no-no to cold smoke in warm temperatures. This is a thousand years old rule for a reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bigz said:

I don't even know what is Prague powder. Is it saltpeter? Saltpeter surely kills bacteria but you can only apply it on the outside. One thing I know for sure that in Central Europe where I'm from and cold smoking is done at almost every household in the countryside you only smoke meat from November to February if the temperature is under 5-10 Celsius. Proper cold smoking takes days and even though bacteria tends to spread from outside to the core it is a big no-no to cold smoke in warm temperatures. This is a thousand years old rule for a reason. 

Same Same but different. In Italy they just use sea salt. I haven’t died yet.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:57 PM, norfolkandchance said:

They also control temperature in Italy...they don't cure meat in 30 celsius. They do it in the winter or in cool underground cellars.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 7:57 PM, norfolkandchance said:

If you always eat it that way your body is used to the bacteria, like Thai leave their food out all day without fridge and they do not die. I made my smoker  out of a 55 gallon drum Ugly Drum smoker, you can use a galvanized garbage can. look on the internet for plans, my Thai sil buys BBQ good size for 1000 baht, you can buy a pellet smoking tube at LaZada's for cold smoking in a regular BBQ, and a bag of pellets.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 8:09 PM, Tagged said:

Bought one of these, and my gf smoking bacon now. Best thing I ever bought in Thailand

https://www.facebook.com/BBQandSmokersThailand/

4CFB3295-1B76-42BF-9774-0CCD07EE983C.jpeg

couldnt agree more
got an offset smoker last year
best investment ever, cost 40k from BBQThai
just seen you can now buy an offset smoker from lazada from 8000 baht

i can lieterally cook once a week if i choose

I wouldn't smoke in an oven unless you're willing to dedicate it to smoking, the linings will be destroyed.

I also have an offset smoker, ordered from US through UBuy, I've modded it to competition spec. Highly recommend to get one or make one from an old (vegetable) oil barrel.

Edited by DrTuner

On 10/5/2020 at 5:51 PM, Bigz said:

You can't 'proper' cold smoke in Thailand.

Not outside. However I modded an old fridge with a precision temp controller, an outside pellet smoke generator and fan controlled ventilation. Makes very good smoked mozzarella and salmon. Cost was about 4k baht (old fridge, the temp controller was 1k, used old PC fans, pellet container I had from an old rig) and 1 day of DIY.

Edited by DrTuner