Kawasaki Versys 650 model 2011

Agusts

57 minutes ago, Agusts said:

@Tagged I have been riding for many years, on and off, my first bike I bought 35 years ago..., so not my first bike. Just my first big tall and heavy bike... ! ????

Also been riding On roads since I was 15, so that gives me some few years as well, but i still refresh my skills once and awhile. The Spanish accademy is in fact great for drivers like us, And Especially here in Thailand. Not long time ago, I got to use my ninja skills to avoid to crash when two cars suddenly simultanious started to change their position with me in the middle, and every longer trip I have done there is some minor incidents that can lead to quite serious accidents. Know your bike, and what you can do with it. A bigger bike give you quicker response to get out of situations, but also get you quicker in to being trapped in situations we try to avoid. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Agusts said:

@taninthai I'm guessing the valve drop happened due to Kawa recall not being done...!? I think I read it happened to someone else ..., or was it you... ! ????

Can Kawa examine the valve during a valve clearance check and tell if the valve model is correct ...!? Or they need to take it out and/or dismantle it further...? 

They know by model numbers what bikes had the dodgy valves,,  would think they have records of bikes that have been in and had the valves changed but then again TIT.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

II forgot to report back, a couple of weeks ago I went and saw a Versys 650 2012, as my luck have it it started pissing down so I only rode it around the block, didn't want to take it on wet surface of the roads...

Funny how you remember all the reviews you read when you get on the bike first time, mostly accurate, big tall heavy tractor...! It was hard to turn it around out if his garage, by the way the guy was even shorter than me, maybe 5 8 or even 5 7...! But I could get my foot down fairly easily, just have to roll to the middle of bike, front of seat , a bit...

Someone mentioned first gear noise, and sure enough it's like someone hit the engine with a hammer when it goes to first, but other gears changes are smooth and fine. Front brake is fantastic, very efficient, back brake was non-existent, not sure it was his bike or that's how it is on this horse of a bike...! Quite a bit noisy too, but then I have a Forza, whisper quiet...

Anyway, I'm sure this is a great tourer and very stable on highways and roads going fast and long distances, but forget about using it anywhere else, in the city it will be hard to manouver at all, so really an only one purpose bike..., I have since sat on CB500X too, a bit smaller , but again, a one trick pony...

But I rode a CB500F, and I liked that, it's easy to handle and you can see your front wheel (for heaven sake....!) , Not feel too big or heavy, although on paper not much different than X..., the seat even wider and more comfy...

But you get that terrible lean forward, in my case I have short arms, even more lean, and without windshield will get tired after a couple of hours, so I think my ideal bike would be an F with a large windshield that can put on for long trips and take off other times, and a raised handlebar, maybe bring it back a bit too - even if have to change the cables and brake hose from X , it shouldn't cost much..., Nearly forgot to say F is far cheaper than X too, so great...????

But a project for next year really, after I got my big bike license....! lol ????

By the way, I was at bike event the other day, sat on many bikes there, I find XSR155 really big, strange for 155cc, XSR900 very uncomfortable, but MT-07 was really nice, like you fit into the ergonomics of the bike and become one, thumbs up.... Royal Enfield interceptor 650, so so, what's the word, uninspiring...(but 3 years warranty), Triumph awesome, finish is real quality, and you pay for it, get a mortgage...!, Ducati, I don't sit on those, I'm worried I could get addicted like with heroine, at those prices it's dangerous business..., Surprise of the night was Benelli Leoncino 500 that a guy had and let me sat on, very comfy seat position and ergo, I really liked it, shame Benelli closed shop in Phuket. But he said they come every month with appointment and do their service...! You can pick up a 2 year old at half price now - of course their warranty runs out after 2 years, so maybe that's why...! ???????? (Honda only gives 1 year though...!!!)

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

But a project for next year really, after I got my big bike license....! lol

For the Honda 500 you wouldn't need that license ????

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

he said they come every month with appointment and do their service...

LOL. Well ok better than nothing I guess?

Where was that bike event btw? I totally missed it.

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

For the Honda 500 you wouldn't need that license ????

LOL. Well ok better than nothing I guess?

Where was that bike event btw? I totally missed it.

I think for anything over 400cc need the new big bike, from what I read it's over 400 "OR" over 35kw..., in UK only the 35kw matters ..., all a bit of speculation, let's see how they implement all these...

The big bike event was last weekend on Karon beach, they also had a huge stage and a few bands playing to a good crowd, also must have been over 100 food stand...

On 6 Nov the big bike events come too Patong beach, but I saw today they were also preparing a stage for Halloween this weekend...

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm considering a 300 Versys. I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for roaring around at high speed.

I sat on Versys 300 in Kawa showroom, very good size, not big and bully like 650, but it had the hardest bike seat I have ever sat on...! Maybe it will soften after some use... ????

3 hours ago, Agusts said:

I sat on Versys 300 in Kawa showroom, very good size, not big and bully like 650, but it had the hardest bike seat I have ever sat on...! Maybe it will soften after some use... ????

I believe there is a higher seat accessory, maybe that is softer?

10 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I believe there is a higher seat accessory, maybe that is softer?

14 hours ago, Agusts said:

Don't let the seat be the deciding factor, a very easy and cheap fix.

Versys 300 huh, that's hardly any faster than a Forza? I think you will regret it after a year.

You can only judge the 650 Versys by taking it out for a proper spin.

MT07, you said that you liked that one? That's a real nice bike and much more modern than the long in the tooth Versys 650.

@guzzi850m2 I never considered Versys 300, was just replying to VocalNeal who is interested..., still a geared Versys 300 with a bit more power might pass Forza with only 279cc and 25HP)...

I was fascinated by the CB-1, CB400 and XJR400 recently, some 20 or even 30 years old bikes with 4 cylinders, even a few with green book at around 50k baht....!  but they need someone with tools, space and patience to look after them, not for me. But what a powerhouse at those prices...!

13 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Versys 300 huh, that's hardly any faster than a Forza?

Forza on a gravel road or when the small northern road runs out of asphalt? Maybe runs out is OK because by then one maybe committed. Might be when deciding to explore a small promising road that is unmade. 

Need a 300 scooter get a Vespa?

I

Edited by VocalNeal