The English covid message on the BTS is daft 'refrain from talking'!

bbabythai

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

OP Why do you think after there is a vaccine Covid will go away? It will most likely be significantly less than 100% effective and not every one will want to be vaccinated.

Once the R-naught (new infection rate per infected person) drops below 1 (and stays there) the virus will slowly die out. The lower the r0 the better, so a high rate of vaccination, mask-wearing, etc. will greatly speed things along, but it will happen.

Edited by Paradise Pete
typo
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, loong said:
21 hours ago, impulse said:

I wish they'd suggest that all the time.  Especially for American passengers.  We tend to shout into our cell phones when there's loud ambient noise, as opposed to most Thais who whisper AND hold their free hand over their mouth when they talk on their cell phones.  I'm always impressed by how they do that.

Wow! where do you live that Thais don't shout into their phones?

Round here they seem to shout when having a face to face conversation and the other person is 2 feet away!

Funny how some people see the good side of the local culture, and others tend to focus on the negative.

Enjoy your stay in LOS.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, impulse said:

I wish they'd suggest that all the time.  Especially for American passengers.  We tend to shout into our cell phones when there's loud ambient noise, as opposed to most Thais who whisper AND hold their free hand over their mouth when they talk on their cell phones.  I'm always impressed by how they do that.

Not looking forward to the day when airlines allow people to shout into cell phones for the whole duration of a looooong flight.

13 hours ago, loong said:

Round here they seem to shout when having a face to face conversation and the other person is 2 feet away!

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

Funny how some people see the good side of the local culture, and others tend to focus on the negative.

Enjoy your stay in LOS.

Funny how some people focus on the good aspect of a local culture that they are seeing but nobody else does.

I'm sitting in my 4th floor condo today and a girl is on the ground floor "talking" on the phone. I had to shut my balcony door to get some respite from her screeching.

She obviously "whispers" a lot louder than the people that you encounter.

Some people do talk quietly on the phone, some people have quiet conversations face to face, most do not though (in my experience). The worst is when they are on speaker phone, then you get treated to both sides of the conversation at annoying volume levels.

FYI there is a lot that I like about Thai people, that is why I live here, but my rose tinted spectacles broke long ago.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

Once the R-naught (new infection rate per infected person) drops below 1 (and stays there) the virus will slowly die out. The lower the r0 the better, so a high rate of vaccination, mask-wearing, etc. will greatly speed things along, but it will happen.

It will happen, just not immediately upon a vaccine being developed.

22 hours ago, loong said:

was in MK yesterday for lunch, not only do the Thais shout into there phones the guy close to us had to shout plus have it on speaker phone so everyone could here, see this all of the time, or should I have said hear this all of the time

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, loong said:
10 hours ago, impulse said:

Enjoy your stay in LOS.

Funny how some people focus on the good aspect of a local culture that they are seeing but nobody else does.

Oh, we see the negatives.   But we don't focus on them.  That knot it puts in your stomach when somebody's behavior bothers you?  It's in your stomach, making your life miserable.  They don't even know, much less care.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I spend most of my time on the BTS ogling the cute Bangkok cuties....with some involuntary drooling on the side.  Having masks on just adds to the intrigue...and the drooling! ???? 

I agree. I remember one time the train stopped for a minute before the station. It gave me a good opening for a conversation with a Thai lovely. I told her I had some food we could share! She laughed.

Sometimes a Muslim's scarf adds to the intrigue too.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:09 PM, impulse said:

Especially for American passengers.  We tend to shout

I was on MRT a couple of weeks ago, when the loudest passenger by far was a Thai tour guide going off at length about the historic areas, apparently quite excited she was able to scrape up a few customers, and possibly advertise to a few more, in these challenging Covid times.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:10 AM, moontang said:

The thing with the Thais is the conversations drag on and on

Anyone who's worked in Thai schools knows, there's an absurd imbalance between how much time they spend actually teaching in classrooms, and how much they spend sitting in the office, yapping away about the latest gossip, lottery numbers, and who knows what else, interspersed with shouts of "Oh-ho!" and "Woo-eee!"

Occasionally, it can be fun and informative to listen in to. But most of the time, thank God I've got a good set of headphones.