Loanshark problem?

Mountain Man

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

What can possible go wrong? 

First of all, why she used a loan shark? I would have left my gf or wife, or whatever if I heard she used service from a loan shark. 

I heard about simular cases, where the wife scared the husband to pay off, and off course there where no loan shark, and also another wife took loan to scare off husband to pay, and I heard about loan sharks got the message above, and did nothing about it except used months to settle it. . Never heard anyone had physical trouble so far, just empty threats. 

Couple of weeks back it was in the news media bout a loanshark was a arrested as he had paid a hitman to kill someone, wonder if that was over money owed ?

12 hours ago, mstevens said:

Laws were introduced a few years ago to counter the demands made from loan sharks. The problem is that loan sharks might actually be people who are often in uniform and / or are not the nicest people in the world and will react in an unpleasant way if the law comes after them. Not the advice you want to hear, I am sure, but sometimes the best thing to do is to establish what the debt was for, how much it is and clear it once and for all.

A396AB8C-B958-4A5E-8B5B-B56BAD4B7586.jpeg

• Like 2

Had similar problem. only way is to demand to see agreement papers and if produced pay em off or if no see tell em to f off. worked for me 3 outta 4 got paid off. otherwise its a case of taking them on, which isn't advised, do a runner and hope they dont find you.

• Like 2

Handle with great caution.

If the loan boys will talk not shoot try & get the details from them with the wife & if you have a friend in the constabulory  present.

I know a case  where paid the loan off but refused to pay the interest.

Sometimes it can be resolved

That is a recipe for disaster

An ex of mine (ex because she had no money sense at all and I tired of bailing her out) did get seriously (face beaten to permanent disfigurement) beaten because of the money she owed. 

For months I had very unsavoury characters hanging around my condo looking for her. 

These are not your normal type debt collectors we encounter in the west

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Does anyone have advice on how to deal with loansharks?

Don't.

unless you enjoy regularly getting visits from several unsavoury and aggressive people at the time, plus their lookouts on the street during deliberations inside the house, like my neighbours used to .. ..

If the Bank does not loan you money, you cannot afford to borrow. Easy rule.

• Like 2

The problem is finding out how much she actually owes. Your wife may not be entirely honest with you. And you don't want to get involved in any face to face talks with the loan sharks. They won't go after a westerner, but they will use threats on your wife.

Most loan sharks won't do physical harm.  They will just keep harassing your wife until she pays.

You can get a lawyer to draw up a contract to pay off the balance of the capital (with no interest) at an agreed rate. Such a contract would be enforceable by a civil court. The loan shark will normally accept this 'solution'.

• Like 2

Last year there was a big police crack down on loan sharks. In Buriram alone hundreds lenders were forced to return land/cars, other assets or to rewrite contracts with a legal interest rate. Could have been a one off thing though..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bigz said:

Last year there was a big police crack down on loan sharks. In Buriram alone hundreds lenders were forced to return land/cars, other assets or to rewrite contracts with a legal interest rate. Could have been a one off thing though..

Lol, yea i am sure those money lenders have simply written all the monies owed to them off.......

On 10/5/2020 at 1:28 AM, Mountain Man said:

Does anyone have advice on how to deal with loansharks? My wife paid off a loan last year in good faith , but the people in question are back demanding more money, and my wife doesn't know where to turn (she is afraid of them). A lawyer cousin seems to think that they have a case. Are there any government agencies that could help with this, or does anyone else have any experience of this sort?

Depends on who or how high up the food chain the "money man is", if a debt is unpaid the lender will instruct the collectors as to what  to do.

This is where it can get messy, if they're okay pay off the debt and get something signed to say it is finished..

if you don't want to pay then move house.

You need to pack up and leave that stupid wife. Why she would but you in harms way only tells you she doesn't care. And believes she can do whatever she wants and can take advantage of you to bail her out. 

Make it clear it is her problem and she has to make it right. Your not the first faŕang that had to do a runner because their wife owed money to the mafia.  I know of 10 at least. Your wife thinks you are an easy mark. She has a serious problem and no respect for you. I made it very clear to my wife that if she does anything like borrowing money she is out on her ass. 

Start selling anything that is yours and move on.

Good luck. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Depends on who or how high up the food chain the "money man is", if a debt is unpaid the lender will instruct the collectors as to what  to do.

This is where it can get messy, if they're okay pay off the debt and get something signed to say it is finished..

if you don't want to pay then move house.

And if the debt is large enough they will take the house !!

18 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

You need to pack up and leave that stupid wife. Why she would but you in harms way only tells you she doesn't care. And believes she can do whatever she wants and can take advantage of you to bail her out. 

Make it clear it is her problem and she has to make it right. Your not the first faŕang that had to do a runner because their wife owed money to the mafia.  I know of 10 at least. Your wife thinks you are an easy mark. She has a serious problem and no respect for you. I made it very clear to my wife that if she does anything like borrowing money she is out on her ass. 

Start selling anything that is yours and move on.

Bang on with all your points, except I'd keep the bit about 'knowing 10 more at least' to yourself. Takes one to know one and all that.

Nobody forces anyone to seek a loan from a loan-shark. Interest rate has been agreed by the borrower. The loan-shark is just holding the borrower to the agreement.

Don't approve of their scare tactics when payments fall behind, but, it takes two to tango.

Just another perspective.

• Thanks 1