Loanshark problem?

Mountain Man

Some sound advice.....but you must do every step!

1.  Show up in a gold-plated car, letting them know you are connected

2.  flash 400,000 on facebook, twitter, instagram

3.  show your wife your bank account, let her take pictures to share

4.  pay off all loans soooo fast they know you are super loaded.  

5.  now move

6.  divorce, whatever

7.  don't look back

8.  this will never end

This is 1 of the things the general talked about getting rid of when he took control. There's even a hotline (not sure what it is) but you call it and it gets settled. IF you do meet with them, record it. There IS a  legal limit the LS can operate within also so ask for the paper at the meeting. IF it's a really high amount for a really stupid reason then tie a mattress to the wife's back and let her work it off.

ETA: Video her 1st 2 payments and use it in divorce court.

Edited by mrwebb8825

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

If the debt is that large I'd sell the house and move province, if it's rented no problem, pack & go

If they come knocking to take the place I doubt they will kick back and wait for you to sell it.

18 hours ago, natway09 said:

Handle with great caution.

If the loan boys will talk not shoot try & get the details from them with the wife & if you have a friend in the constabulory  present.

I know a case  where paid the loan off but refused to pay the interest.

Sometimes it can be resolved

That is a recipe for disaster

When i first got together with my wife she told me that she was getting threatening calls from a loan shark back in the village. She claimed that she had borrowed 10k baht a few months previously, paid a couple of months of interest then stopped paying. The loan shark was demanding 17k to clear the debt and making threats to her family back in the village.

I smelt a scam and, as we were due to go to the village I told her that I would pay off the debt personally. On arriving in the village, I went round to the loan shark's house with my, then, girlfriend.

It was a woman who was a lecturer at the local college. We discussed the loan and she showed me the debt in a ledger and a contract which my gf had signed. Not a scam on my g/fs behalf. She demanded 17k baht to clear the loan.

I pulled a roll containing 10k baht out of my pocket (I had another 7k roll secreted in another pocket). I told her that she could accept 10k to clear the debt or we would walk out of there and she wouldn't see either of us again. She agreed without hesitation. I insisted that she wrote "paid in full" on the contract and in her ledger. Gave her the 10k, gave my g/f the contract and walked. Never heard from her again.

1 hour ago, polpott said:

When i first got together with my wife she told me that she was getting threatening calls from a loan shark back in the village. She claimed that she had borrowed 10k baht a few months previously, paid a couple of months of interest then stopped paying. The loan shark was demanding 17k to clear the debt and making threats to her family back in the village.

I smelt a scam and, as we were due to go to the village I told her that I would pay off the debt personally. On arriving in the village, I went round to the loan shark's house with my, then, girlfriend.

It was a woman who was a lecturer at the local college. We discussed the loan and she showed me the debt in a ledger and a contract which my gf had signed. Not a scam on my g/fs behalf. She demanded 17k baht to clear the loan.

I pulled a roll containing 10k baht out of my pocket (I had another 7k roll secreted in another pocket). I told her that she could accept 10k to clear the debt or we would walk out of there and she wouldn't see either of us again. She agreed without hesitation. I insisted that she wrote "paid in full" on the contract and in her ledger. Gave her the 10k, gave my g/f the contract and walked. Never heard from her again.

Interesting story. But not the loan shark cheated your wife but your wife cheated the loan shark in the end. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, polpott said:

Loanshark tried to screw over my wife so I screwed over the loan shark.

In the end your wife got the credit for free. Not even banks allow this. Loan sharks lend money to people who don't get money from anyone else. They have a very high risk that they will never see the money again. There might be bad people lending money. But I don't know one case where someone was forced by a loan shark to take a credit with him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

In the end your wife got the credit for free. Not even banks allow this. Loan sharks lend money to people who don't get money from anyone else. They have a very high risk that they will never see the money again. There might be bad people lending money. But I don't know one case where someone was forced by a loan shark to take a credit with him. 

Loan shark can be the lady next door who your mother in law lost to in gambling. Quite common up here. And in fact the Neighbour up here is a police mia noi, have a small fruitdrink shop, and sell yaba as well under protection. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Loan shark can be the lady next door who your mother in law lost to in gambling. Quite common up here. And in fact the Neighbour up here is a police mia noi, have a small fruitdrink shop, and sell yaba as well under protection. 

If you can't afford it don't do illegal gambling and don't buy illegal drugs...

It is up to the people to do business with criminals. But often they are not better than the criminals they do business with. Otherwise they would avoid such people. 

Edited by Oldie

30 minutes ago, Oldie said:

If you can't afford it don't do illegal gambling and don't buy illegal drugs...

???? ????

well, I do not, not even drinking, and for sure not sitting down with locals and do gambling. In fact if my gf or any in her close family gamble, drinkingproblems, or drugs, I would not been here at all. Nr1. Rule: know your gf, her family and her friends before you get serious with them. To many looners around who struggle because of not only gf or wife, but her family problems. If everyone understand rule nr1, you have a fear chance to understand rule nr2. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Oldie said:

70% interest for less than a year? Do me a favour. Thais are stupid. If one tries to screw me over, I screw them over instead. Som nam na.

3 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

10% a month happens very often.

120% a year.

Crazy.

This is the agreement my wife had. 10K baht loan = 1k baht/ month interest. They are happy to receive the interest only every month. A nice little earner for the loan shark. Over time they can recoup many times the value of the original loan.

Thieves praying on the desperate.

Edited by polpott

8 minutes ago, polpott said:

70% interest for less than a year? Do me a favour. Thais are stupid. If one tries to screw me over, I screw them over instead. Som nam na.

I understand your thinking. But for sure your wife knew the conditions. And you as farang had luck that you met nice loan sharks. 

Lending money to people who have nothing is not easy. How often did it happen already that someone lent money to a "friend" and got killed when he wanted to have it back. Some people borrowing money don't care much about obligations or anything else. 

8 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I understand your thinking. But for sure your wife knew the conditions. And you as farang had luck that you met nice loan sharks. 

Lending money to people who have nothing is not easy. How often did it happen already that someone lent money to a "friend" and got killed when he wanted to have it back. Some people borrowing money don't care much about obligations or anything else. 

What part of "thieves preying on the desperate" don't you understand?

Not luck and not a nice loan shark. She knew that if she'd cut up rough and brought a couple of her "boys" out from the back (I did see them) there would have been blood and it wouldn't have been mine. She'd already threatened my wife and her family.

Edited by polpott

1 minute ago, polpott said:

What part of "thieves preying on the desperate" don't you understand?

Not luck and not a nice loan shark. She knew that if she'd cut up rough and brought a couple of her "boys" out from the back (I did see them) there would have been blood and it wouldn't have been mine.

You are a brave man. But don't forget that you as a foreigner here in Thailand are in a very weak position. There is also a lot of violence when it comes to "justice". 

22 minutes ago, polpott said:

This is the agreement my wife had. 10K baht loan = 1k baht/ month interest. They are happy to receive the interest only every month. A nice little earner for the loan shark. Over time they can recoup many times the value of the original loan.

Thieves praying on the desperate.

They're not thieves. Your wife agreed to the terms.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Oldie said:

You are a brave man. But don't forget that you as a foreigner here in Thailand are in a very weak position. There is also a lot of violence when it comes to "justice". 

Not weak at all. I can do violence better than any Thai. Must be awful living your life in fear of others.

Years back we had a woman hanging herself in her room in our village.

She had borrowed money from the bank and tried to establish a loan shark business.

It went good for a while, but when a customer was not able to pay the outstanding debts, she was not able to pay the money back to the bank.

Obviously she had never thought about this kind of situation and how to deal with a customer not being able to pay the amount back to her.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, polpott said:

Not weak at all. I can do violence better than any Thai. Must be awful living your life in fear of others.

I don't live in fear. I have no (known) enemies. 

19 minutes ago, polpott said:

Back at ya. Are you a loan shark?

So your girlfriend was desperate for money and went to a loan shark, borrowed money and agreed to the terms.

I wonder what your girlfriend would have had to do for the money had the woman not loaned it to her. 

Paying 10% a month when your desperate and have no place to go does not seem that bad to me.

50 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I get the other references but who is Preben from HA?

HA =Hells Angles

edit note: Preben is the crazy lunatic loonie prospect who travel Europe, and do the dirty work, and hope he one day will reach status as a member. 

Edited by Tagged