Will Thailand open again and when.

nomad2019

Everybody is waiting everybody is apprehensive people are talking about after Christmas and the new year.

when do you think Thailand will open again. For the  average Joe tourists not the hi so rollers  ,   and why.

will flights double or even increase what can you see for the future of Thailand.

Edited by nomad2019
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I think Thailand will slowly open up to countries with little or no Covid like China, Taiwan, Australia and New Zealand.

Agree, I forgot to mention travel bubbles with safe countries in my reply. I hope your timetable is too conservative and that a vaccine will make normal travel possible next season.

How long is a piece of string ?

With no sign of improvement in so many countries like UK, US, France, Indonesia, India Russia & many other parts of Europe it would be silly to "just open the doors."

Thai are running a few selected flights to London & selected places in Europe as well as a weekly Sunday flight to Sydney but no sign of any improvement yet.

Notice that the new special "long stay visa" explicitly excludes the UK at present.

Constant worldwide monitoring & assessement will continue

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mstevens said:

I think Thailand will slowly open up to countries with little or no Covid like China, Taiwan, Australia and New Zealand. I expect that will happen over the next 6 months.

As for the rest of the world, Thailand won't open up to most countries until a vaccine is available, has been widely administered administered, airlines get flights back under way etc, I reckon it will be late next year at the earliest and Q1 or more likely Q2 of 2022 before the masses will be able to travel internationally again.

18 months from now is my best guess when most of us will be able to return to Thailand.

I think that when Thailand opens it's borders, this $100.000 insurance scam will be such a moneymaker that the soldiers unelected "government" will keep it going.

The problem wit the vaccination certificate is it does not guarantee you won't pass on the virus so if you believe this disease is going to decimate the population you need to ensure the Thai residents are also protected as well.

How long before a vaccine programme for all here?

I believe the prevention measures are worse than the cure (only my opinion) but I doubt the powers will take positive action to rekindle the local economies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Vaccines are not a guaranteed thing.  Not guaranteed when they'll be available.  And not guaranteed they'll be 100% effective.  we just don't know yet.

doesn't a vaccine usually take 9 years to develop,      this Corona vaccine is being developed within one year wow someone's telling porkies

3 hours ago, findlay13 said:

The CEO of QANTAS has grounded international flights until [late?]March 2021.He is in contact with the heads of gov't so he'd have a good idea what's going on.Also, Thai Airways office in Brisbane has closed.There may be flights between NZ and Aust. by Xmas but IMO I wouldn't be looking at flights to Thailand or much elsewhere until March next year or later

people flying from the UK and Europe who want to go to Bali Indonesia or Cambodia or Vietnam surely they have to go through Bangkok.    So we can't even fly to any of them countries at the moment.

16 hours ago, farang51 said:

When you can present a vaccination card showing that you are vaccinated against covid. Until then, quarantine wil be mandatory.

all bets would be off though if the red shirts took control again imo for then Thailand would become the covid cesspool of SE Asia by their insatiable need to fill their pockets driving wide open tourism..

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Vaccines are not a guaranteed thing.  Not guaranteed when they'll be available.  And not guaranteed they'll be 100% effective. we just don't know yet.

Nail on head, you have the flu vaccine you can still get the flu and can pass the infection on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nomad2019 said:

My guess is the price of flights will play a lot more expensive,        maybe even double

what do you reckon

anybody in the know

Catch 22 situation, depends what the demand is for flights, they make them too expensive, no one will be able to afford them ?

8 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Catch 22 situation, depends what the demand is for flights, they make them too expensive, no one will be able to afford them ?

even if air travel opens up in 2021,the world will be in recession or even depression,as the end of the furlough system looms,massive job cuts are already being announced,don,t think we,ll ever see the pre corona prices.

• Like 1

Thailand, and no doubt many other countries, will open once the WHO declares an end to the pandemic.  This will give politicians the political cover they need.  In the meantime there will probably be small easing of requirements to allow some specific groups in.

• Like 2

I expect very strong rules ( like closed borders ) till vaccine is around . If all goes fine , i expect 1st vaccines being around from late January , and mass vaccination from roughly 3 months later ( not the complete population , but elderly / healthworkers 1st , next group will prob be vital sectors, and after that travellers . Thinking about a timeframe and how it would fit in Thailand travel , i'd say 12 months from now ,so October 2021 .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Xmas/New Year once they have screwed every last penny from the lovesick ferangs who are desperate to get back to see their teerak and the business people who are happy to throw any amount of money away to get back. 

Once the reality kicks in and they realise only a few are coming and signing up for the STV, they will tentatively open the gates. Of course there will be pre conditions but as much as they don’t want tourists, they can’t afford not to. They are a sinking economy which is destroying the poorest people due to their stubbornness and unwillingness to find a common sense way forward. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I would say forever !

Medical experts are a lot smarter now regarding these kinds of viruses, as well as how to make new jabs.  Hopefully, we'll have this sorted in a year or so.  But like 9/11, life will probably be changed forever.  At least in our lifetimes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1