Pattaya: Beach washes away yet again after three hours of torrential rain

webfact

57 minutes ago, carlyai said:

They did that at Jontiem beach.

The easiest solution is to just replace the sand.

They should build an underground pumping station and pump all the water over to the Dark side. ????

No, thank you. The Dark Side is the Hillside of Pattaya. 

Why doesn't anyone bother to learn something about longshore drift and dynamic equilibrium? I had a field day to Norfolk coastline on this subject in the very first week of my BSc in Environmental Science back 35 years ago! The reasons the beach is there or washes away is very simple to understand. For some reason, folks think they are King Canute. Did these guys never make sand castles or dams on the beach when they were kids? I think I got it by the time I was a 6 year old but anyway, I'm quite sure some people benefit hugely from this futile artificial sand building.

Edited by tyga
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Remove the sand and cover the damn area with concrete...like the rest of the city!

Green Grass would be fine. Like in North Pattaya where they even have fields to exercise. 

Edited by micmichd

Something nobody here gets (because they would rather criticize Thais) is that it's designed to do this.  The washouts always happen in the same spots, where the sidewalk is intentionally shaped like a spill way.  They usually just fill it back in within a day or two.  It's very difficult and expensive to design the drainage to handle the volume of water that comes down from the streets above during a torrential downpour in a tropical climate.  I think all they are trying to do is reduce the amount of flooding on streets above.   I think that is better now since they put in the new drainage, which is what that was for, not to prevent the beach from getting washed out every time there is a downpour. 

If they don't want the beach to wash away in those spots they would probably have to bury some large pipes under the sand and going out into the ocean a ways and it's probably more cost effective to just let it wash away in those spots where there are spillways and just fill the sand back in.

Edited by shdmn

9 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Everybody can make a mistake .

But some people are making the same mistake again and again ...

That is proof of not being very clever .

Or maybe proof of very clever people not really making mistakes. After all, if they really want the sand to stay, they should just add cement.

8 hours ago, tyga said:

Why doesn't anyone bother to learn something about longshore drift and dynamic equilibrium? I had a field day to Norfolk coastline on this subject in the very first week of my BSc in Environmental Science back 35 years ago! The reasons the beach is there or washes away is very simple to understand. For some reason, folks think they are King Canute. Did these guys never make sand castles or dams on the beach when they were kids? I think I got it by the time I was a 6 year old but anyway, I'm quite sure some people benefit hugely from this futile artificial sand building.

Can you stop whispering?

15 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

That's exactly what they want it to do. There's good "commission" to be made on the "hundreds of Millions"  baht worth of sand being trucked in each time.

Laughing all the way to the bank 

• Like 2