มนุษย์

tgeezer

This links to vocabulary in that it shows the means I use to build it. 
หน้ากาก is a topical word these days.  I mistook it to say face mask ;noun-verb/adjective, type of mask (trying to think in Thai) only to discover that it is noun-noun. Defined as เครื่องบังใบหน้า So I looked up กาก สิ่งเหลือเมื่อคั้นหรือคดส่วนดีออกมาแล้ว กาก can also be used to ด่า someone กากมนุษย์ คนกาก . I have my ideas for the meaning of those two. 
On You Tube recently I had criticised someone for writing humankind on the grounds that it

was Newspeak (1984) and this morning it was remarked upon which led me to wonder how Thai would say mankind.  I remembered the above research but found that I didn't remember how to spell มนุษย์ so looked it up under กาก. This turned out to be a test to see how much I had remembered of the previous research on กาก, I haven't checked that definition yet so if it is wrong someone can tell me. 
I also discovered why บังใบหน้า is used in the definition of หน้ากาก. I think that it is because there is a word บังหน้า , it appears to be a noun, a misrepresentation of a person or business is how I see it, ร้านนี้คือบริษัทบังหน้ามาเฟียา -the shop is a front for gangsters.
To remember the spelling of มนุษย์ think of the word มนุษย,  now I have forgotten the word!
Just looked it up มนุษยชาติ( มะนุดสะยะ- ) now that must mean something like mankind. 
Hopefully this will prompt some comment especially any mistakes I might have made because we remember our mistakes. Also how other people might make different interpretations. 

Edited by tgeezer

I forgot this.
I imagined that because of Thai masked dance โขน the word หน้ากาก might be found there but I was wrong. The dancers สวมหัวจำลอง ที่เรียกว่า หัวโขน . On reflection it is more than a mask. 
เกียรติ เกียรติ์ (sometimes gian, sometimes giat .) found in the definition of โขน รามเกียรติ์ is a word I should know more about.

• Like 1