Wave-ing Goodbye! How Much Is This Worth?

Stubby

Good afternoon, forum.

I have an old (15-years I think,) Honda Wave 125cc with 75K on the clock. It’s been a perfect bike, and I’ve never had a single mechanical fault with it. That blows my mind. Anyway, I’m probably going to rent something a bit bigger for the Chiang Mai cool season. I might also buy a quality secondhand one if I can find something decent around < 35K.

My first thought is to keep the faithful Wave as a city bike. I might also sell it if it has any resale value, but I have no idea what I should ask, hence this post.  

If anyone reading here knows what it’s potential resale is, then please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Stubby

HondaWave3.jpg

HondaWave6.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

4k.

Keep it. Sounds useful and reliable.

Thanks, Jack. I didn't think it would be worth much. At 4K, it's definately worth keeping as a second bike ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stubby said:

My first thought is to keep the faithful Wave as a city bike.

I have a 2009 model, paid 45k for it back then. It has about 10,000km's on it, only use it around the village to the market, wife visiting parents etc etc, apart from the oil changes, battery and tyres, that's all it needs and she will outlast us, keep it as resale on bikes isn't worth much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deli said:

You would get more than 4 k, 7 k to 8 k at least but still worth while keeping it. They never die.

Yes, I think you're right, Deli. I was just curious after someone told me they fetch a decent reslae price, but couldn't say what that was. Hence this post ????

45 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have a 2009 model, paid 45k for it back then. It has about 10,000km's on it, only use it around the village to the market, wife visiting parents etc etc, apart from the oil changes, battery and tyres, that's all it needs and she will outlast us, keep it as resale on bikes isn't worth much.

I think mine was about 18 months old when I bought it and had about 3km on the clock. I paid 28K for it. I still find it hard to believe that it's still running after all this time. I've lost count how many times I've took it around the Samoeng Loop and other mountain routes. It's only a little single cylinder engine, but it refuses to die.

• Like 1

We've two, I'm sure they are last centuries models, they are that old.
All we've done is tyres, batteries and a few globes, not even changed the chains.
Strangely the older one with the more miles (kms) has the stronger engine.

Both have been regularly serviced (oil, filters, spark plugs), which probably helps as most Thais don't seem to service them much.

Sounds like others like them too, by the offers you've received.

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

If you don't have enough space to keep it i won't mind taking it off your hands ????

Nice try, LukKrueng, but I have enough space for a bike park. But thanks for the offer ????

parking.png

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

We've two, I'm sure they are last centuries models, they are that old.
All we've done is tyres, batteries and a few globes, not even changed the chains.
Strangely the older one with the more miles (kms) has the stronger engine.

Both have been regularly serviced (oil, filters, spark plugs), which probably helps as most Thais don't seem to service them much.

Sounds like others like them too, by the offers you've received.

It's incredible when you think we live in a world that produces so much stuff with a short lifespan. I bet Honda hasn't made the same mistake with its newer models.

9 hours ago, Stubby said:

I've lost count how many times I've took it around the Samoeng Loop and other mountain routes. It's only a little single cylinder engine, but it refuses to die.

I would keep it. How many nice memories do you have attached to the bike? With that mileage it will be a few.

I am a bit sentimental when it comes to selling old objects that have been with me and been doing well. Just recently purchased a new mountain bike, almost feel guilty in regards to the old bike. For now I still take the old bike out for a ride from time to time. Same with my old Lap Top. 

1 hour ago, Paiman said:

I would keep it. How many nice memories do you have attached to the bike? With that mileage it will be a few.

I am a bit sentimental when it comes to selling old objects that have been with me and been doing well. Just recently purchased a new mountain bike, almost feel guilty in regards to the old bike. For now I still take the old bike out for a ride from time to time. Same with my old Lap Top. 

Hahaha lol ???? I know exactly where you're coming from, but umm.., I never say anything ????

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Keep her, op. Mine has 150k and still goes well. Certainly worth more than 4k. More like 10. Thais give good money for old Waves and Dreams.

Thanks, Dave ????

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stament said:

I know someone (Thai friend) who is looking for a second hand dream/wave if you do decide to sell.

Thanks, Statement, but I've decided to keep it ????

• Thanks 1