Home made sausages

remobb

Hi all, I am going to make my own sausages but am a little confused with case sizes and size of the funnel I need. I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this. I want to make a reasonable size sausage (width) around 1.75 inches. What size cases should I use and what size funnel.

Also, where can I purchase the funnel from apart from China.

I have heard or read that Makro sell the cases, is that rue? I will check this weekend.

Many thanks for any replies.

11741438_Screenshot2020-10-05163942.png.077b57997d86bdc5774d6fb286c0048e.png

20mm for standard size bangers. they will get bigger filling out the casing. 15mm for chipolatas. i know a supplier in the UK who ship these out worldwide. 

maybe you're doing them for yourself, friends,family etc and no need for high production runs. then the manual screw a handle ones doing about 3-5 kg would suffice. 30mm nozzle as less pressure delivered. you'll end up with one arm like popeye though.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:34 PM, JoePai said:

Collagen casings are the best/easiest to use

http://www.botthailand.com/casing/collagen-casing.html

Collagen casings are <deleted>!!! Pork / sheep casings are top!!! The best casings size for sausages like bratwurst is 28-30. But they are very rare and expensive now about the african swine fever in china, ...

You don't need really a mincer / grinder because your can buy minced pork/chicken/beef.

If you want do it only for yourself you can start with this one: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/s-tuffer-salami-i991442917-s2157440493.html

If you want start to sell it's better to buy a 
mincer / grinder and a sausages stuffer.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/stuffer-5lbs-4-maker-i501608239-s891588400.html

Casings you can buy here: https://www.google.com/search?q=ไส้หมูหมักเกลือ&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X

Better a Thai write to they and ask for prices. ????

Bon appetite

Makro hog casings are good enough for home made sausages. Only problem with them is the amount of holes in them and the variety in caliber size. 

Every big wet market has at least one shop where you can buy them fresh salted or else ask a Thai sausage vendor where he/she gets 'm.

What OP wants is a 40 - 45 mm caliber and I believe that is too wide for regular sausages. 30 - 35 mm is better.

BOT ingredients BKK have indeed collagen casings, but you have to buy minimum 1 box and they are expensive. Also collagen won't bent when stuffed. 

8 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Sausage vs burger, whats the difference apart from shape and skin? The meat and flavourings can be the same.

No difference except you do get a crunch with sausage skins, probably sausages might be easier to store and make hot dogs.

3 hours ago, CLW said:

Lobo Thailand food supplies has online shop for different type of casings and additives for sausauge making such as nitrite salt and phosphate.

Thanks but can you be more precise? I checked Lobo site, but saw no casings or curing salts. Thanks

Casinga in Makro are around 350 baht for a package Sorry dont know the size I just saw 2 days ago in Udon

I saw a girl on youtube doing Lao sausages all she used was the end of a pop(Coke ) Bottle Slower but it does the job

Good luck 

Rather than sausages start out with patties to get the taste right then move onto sausages

I get my casings from Makro and they are pretty good. I have also bought them from a butchers in Talad Thai, but they are a bit variable. Mince is OK to start with, but you have no control of the size of grind or the fat content. Macro will grind pork for you if you buy enough/talk nicely to the butcher.

A steel hand mincer can be had for 2,000 baht up, alloy ones a bit cheaper. Check that you can buy replacement cutters.

We had home made Italian style sausage tonight from a 3kg batch I made two weeks ago.

Currently looking for a nice pork shoulder to turn into a ham for Christmas.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PBob said:

I get my casings from Makro and they are pretty good. I have also bought them from a butchers in Talad Thai, but they are a bit variable. Mince is OK to start with, but you have no control of the size of grind or the fat content. Macro will grind pork for you if you buy enough/talk nicely to the butcher.

A steel hand mincer can be had for 2,000 baht up, alloy ones a bit cheaper. Check that you can buy replacement cutters.

We had home made Italian style sausage tonight from a 3kg batch I made two weeks ago.

Currently looking for a nice pork shoulder to turn into a ham for Christmas.

Nice, hope you enjoyed it.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:09 PM, jaiyenyen said:

Makro also have a shop called Champ (I think). They're usually found somewhere in the Makro car park. They sell Thai brand commercial kitchen equipment. You should find your funnels there.

I have seen them but have never seen the funnels. I will look closer, thanks.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:25 PM, vogie said:

Depends which Makro you use I suppose, my local Makro in Sattahip does not stock them. But Lazada have plenty, most come from China, but only took about a week to arrive. As a previous poster stated use collagen, no cleaning or soaking necessary, just slide on the tube.

This was my last lot.

IMG_20200923_155614.jpg

I got some from China, Hogs casings, they are pretty good actually.

20 hours ago, snowgard said:

Collagen casings are <deleted>!!! Pork / sheep casings are top!!! The best casings size for sausages like bratwurst is 28-30. But they are very rare and expensive now about the african swine fever in china, ...

You don't need really a mincer / grinder because your can buy minced pork/chicken/beef.

If you want do it only for yourself you can start with this one: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/s-tuffer-salami-i991442917-s2157440493.html

If you want start to sell it's better to buy a 
mincer / grinder and a sausages stuffer.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/stuffer-5lbs-4-maker-i501608239-s891588400.html

Casings you can buy here: https://www.google.com/search?q=ไส้หมูหมักเกลือ&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X

Better a Thai write to they and ask for prices. ????

Bon appetite

Very useful reply, many thanks. I just might invest in the sausage maker.

20 hours ago, hugocnx said:

Makro hog casings are good enough for home made sausages. Only problem with them is the amount of holes in them and the variety in caliber size. 

Every big wet market has at least one shop where you can buy them fresh salted or else ask a Thai sausage vendor where he/she gets 'm.

What OP wants is a 40 - 45 mm caliber and I believe that is too wide for regular sausages. 30 - 35 mm is better.

BOT ingredients BKK have indeed collagen casings, but you have to buy minimum 1 box and they are expensive. Also collagen won't bent when stuffed. 

Actually I got 50mm from Chins and found that size perfect for what I want but maybe I should try the smaller size to be sure. Many thanks.

18 hours ago, itsallmine68 said:

Casinga in Makro are around 350 baht for a package Sorry dont know the size I just saw 2 days ago in Udon

I saw a girl on youtube doing Lao sausages all she used was the end of a pop(Coke ) Bottle Slower but it does the job

Good luck 

Rather than sausages start out with patties to get the taste right then move onto sausages

Trust an Issan girl to find the cheapest way. Very resourceful.