Why does the BTS Skytrain breakdown?

Noisyaircon2020

On 10/6/2020 at 3:15 AM, fangless said:

Or the wrong type of snow'

PS;  For non brits.  Both the above were reasons given in the past by British Rail for delayed/cancelled trains!

Indeed, this reason used the Dutch Rail also. They got square wheels of it? But nowadays it is solved and they did not cut the trees, 55555

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Noisyaircon2020 said:

Give me some reasons then Mr Smart Alec Crossy ????

Without the insult I may have been tempted.

Anyway I'm not at liberty to share the FMECA for any of the multitude of systems that make up a modern metro system.

I'm quite sure your Googling skills will find you something interesting to look at.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Without the insult I may have been tempted.

Anyway I'm not at liberty to share the FMECA for any of the multitude of systems that make up a modern metro system.

I'm quite sure your Googling skills will find you something interesting to look at.

You are the one insulting my intelligence with your passive aggressive comment in the first place Crossy. Let's agree to disagree!

The first batches of BTS rail cars were made by Siemens in Europe. Manufacture of later batches was contracted to a Chinese consortium. And you guessed it, with the later batches came more breakdowns and other issues. With the recent heavy rains water has even been leaking inside.

Look on the walls of either end of the car where they connect to each other, and you'll see either a light blue Siemens sticker, or a dark blue "CNR" sticker. I swear you can feel the difference.

I asked my wife if she was aware of this, and she said oh yeah, everyone knows about it. She said, I quote, "Cheaper trains, so the fat guy can buy more watches."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noisyaircon2020 said:

Very rude thing to say JulesMad, if you don't have anything helpful to contribute, keep your mouth shut.

It would be awfully quiet on TV, if ALL the people that have nothing helpful to contribute, would keep their mouths shut ????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

My Hornby train set never broke down ????

The modern ones have gone "smart", the controllers now control individual trains, you can even run trains in opposite directions on the same track. All the better to simulate real collisions. That other favourite from my childhood, Scalextric, has gone the same way. Of course all the smarts has introduced more failure modes than just a dirty track or iffy motor brushes.

Meanwhile, to the real thing.

"Delays" or gaps in service can be caused by a multitude of factors (even power failures) so let's just consider one scenario.

The trains normally operate in full ATO (Automatic Train Operation) they are in constant communication with the Operations Control Centre.

Passenger safety is paramount so any disturbance in the communications or other factor may cause the train to decide not to continue. If this happens the first thing the train attendant does is to radio the central control for instructions. He may then be instructed to reset the system or to switch mode to ATP (Automatic Train Protection) at which point he can manually drive the train at normal line speeds, of course he's now behind the timetable and there's no real way to catch up. 

If the failure means that even ATP isn't working then he can drive (very slowly) in the full manual mode used in the depot until (hopefully) the communications returns and he can revert to ATO, or he can empty the train and procede to one of the pocket tracks (sidings) when he can park the train.

You could add "human factors" into the list, passengers pull the emergency door open lever for all sorts of reasons.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The modern ones have gone "smart", the controllers now control individual trains, you can even run trains in opposite directions on the same track. All the better to simulate real collisions. That other favourite from my childhood, Scalextric, has gone the same way. Of course all the smarts has introduced more failure modes than just a dirty track or iffy motor brushes.

Meanwhile, to the real thing.

"Delays" or gaps in service can be caused by a multitude of factors (even power failures) so let's just consider one scenario.

The trains normally operate in full ATO (Automatic Train Operation) they are in constant communication with the Operations Control Centre.

Passenger safety is paramount so any disturbance in the communications or other factor may cause the train to decide not to continue. If this happens the first thing the train attendant does is to radio the central control for instructions. He may then be instructed to reset the system or to switch mode to ATP (Automatic Train Protection) at which point he can manually drive the train at normal line speeds, of course he's now behind the timetable and there's no real way to catch up. 

If the failure means that even ATP isn't working then he can drive (very slowly) in the full manual mode used in the depot until (hopefully) the communications returns and he can revert to ATO, or he can empty the train and procede to one of the pocket tracks (sidings) when he can park the train.

You could add "human factors" into the list, passengers pull the emergency door open lever for all sorts of reasons.

If I had my old train set now, I could be the Fat Controller :cheesy:

• Haha 1