Does Thai gov't require transcripts, or is it schools' decision?

My impression was that the international schools required university transcripts simply because they hold exceptionally high standards. I didn't think that the government required transcripts IN ADDITION to a diploma before they will issue a teaching work permit for ANY teacher, at ANY school.

I've had a work permit here in Thailand, but it was not a teaching position. So I'd like to hear what employed teachers here have to say.

Thanks for your input!

The schools I was involved in had to have the transcript.   As a matter of fact, the transcript was more important than the actual degree.   I got my Teacher's License entirely based on the official transcript.   I long ago lost my original degree.  

Every teacher we put through the process of getting a Visa, Work Permit, and Teacher's License was based on the transcript.   In more recent years, the transcript either had to be sent directly to the Teacher's Council or given to them in an unopened envelope.  

3 hours ago, Scott said:

The schools I was involved in had to have the transcript.   As a matter of fact, the transcript was more important than the actual degree.   I got my Teacher's License entirely based on the official transcript.   I long ago lost my original degree.  

Every teacher we put through the process of getting a Visa, Work Permit, and Teacher's License was based on the transcript.   In more recent years, the transcript either had to be sent directly to the Teacher's Council or given to them in an unopened envelope.  

Interesting... Ok. Thanks so much for your input, Scott.

I didn't think that the government required transcripts IN ADDITION to a diploma before they will issue a teaching work permit for ANY teacher, at ANY school.

Transcripts are more important than the actual degree. And it's not as easy to Photoshop as a fancy degree.

It's the school's responsibility to check on  foreigners' degrees. 

On 10/5/2020 at 7:48 PM, Scott said:

Ah, interesting. Thanks! I will consider it "official" that transcripts are required and in fact, more important than the degree.

On 10/9/2020 at 6:38 AM, teacherclaire said:

It's the school's responsibility to check on  foreigners' degrees. 

Once again... where do you get this information from?  You talk through your teeth with no support to anything you are saying. There isn't a single school that 'has' to check a teacher's background and no, it isn't the school's responsibility to do so. This falls on the TCT when approving waivers and teacher licenses, and even they don't always do it. 

Claire... stop talking gibberish some people might actually listen to what you are saying and believe it.

Bad and false advice can lead to trouble. I said it before... I never really paid attention to what you were saying but I think I might start to do so...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let's keep it civil.  The school has to apply for the appropriate visa and work permit.   The school needs to submit their registration papers along with the information that the teacher will use to get the visa.   Most schools will make sure they have all the necessary information.  It's of little value to not have all the documents, because it will be rejected.  

Obtaining the documentation is the responsibility of the teacher.   Some of the information is private and can't be obtained without consent.  

• Like 1

Posts with personal information removed.   Please don't post identifying information on the open forum.

@Neeranam Years ago, many teacher's could get by with just the Degree.   I didn't have a copy of my degree and they accepted the transcript.   It was an either/or situation.   Some years later, they wanted the authenticity of the degree or transcript to be verified.   As an admin, I would email the school and get a response.  The email was sufficient.   For US teachers it was a little easier because there is a national clearing house that verifies degrees and they could do so in a very short period of time.   Later, the Teacher's Council wanted a copy of the transcript in an unopened envelope from the school, then later, the letter had to go directly to the TCT.  

The regulations and how they are enforced has ebbed and flowed with time, but always toward being more restrictive.

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

Posts with personal information removed.   Please don't post identifying information on the open forum.

@Neeranam Years ago, many teacher's could get by with just the Degree.   I didn't have a copy of my degree and they accepted the transcript.   It was an either/or situation.   Some years later, they wanted the authenticity of the degree or transcript to be verified.   As an admin, I would email the school and get a response.  The email was sufficient.   For US teachers it was a little easier because there is a national clearing house that verifies degrees and they could do so in a very short period of time.   Later, the Teacher's Council wanted a copy of the transcript in an unopened envelope from the school, then later, the letter had to go directly to the TCT.  

The regulations and how they are enforced has ebbed and flowed with time, but always toward being more restrictive.

In Scotland, and possibly all the UK, transcripts were not given with degrees before 1995.

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

In Scotland, and possibly all the UK, transcripts were not given with degrees before 1995.

How well  I know.   It was an absolute nightmare trying to get what the TCT wanted or would accept.   The UK also had a number of schools which changed status and no records were available from the new institution concerning the older one.  

6 hours ago, Scott said:

@Neeranam   For US teachers it was a little easier because there is a national clearing house that verifies degrees and they could do so in a very short period 

What is the name of that institution, and is it a private or federal agency?

I believe it is the Student National Clearinghouse.   I think it is private, there is a fee.  I haven't had to use them for the past few years.   We have advised teacher's to obtain all the official records we need, so I don't know if TCT would even consider accepting it any longer.  

In the US, the certification of the degree is public information (you cannot get a transcript from them), only a verification of the degree given and the dates attended.  

The UK is much more difficult because there the information is considered confidential.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:03 PM, LazySlipper said:

Once again... where do you get this information from?  You talk through your teeth with no support to anything you are saying. There isn't a single school that 'has' to check a teacher's background and no, it isn't the school's responsibility to do so. This falls on the TCT when approving waivers and teacher licenses, and even they don't always do it. 

Claire... stop talking gibberish some people might actually listen to what you are saying and believe it.

Bad and false advice can lead to trouble. I said it before... I never really paid attention to what you were saying but I think I might start to do so...

It most definitely the schools responsibility to provide proof that the degree is real.  Unfortunately a few years ago there was a run on KHAOSAN degrees.  The government realized tht it was impossible for them to check every degree so they said that schools were responsible which actually makes sense.  If you have a business you should check that the person is real and truthful.  Krupska  also wanted proof and not just a degree.

OP  I have always felt and people here UBONJOE and others have said that it is always better t have too much information than not enough.  I am no longer teaching in schools but if I was going to start again I would definitely have as much info as I could to prove that my degree is legit.  Especially with the ruckus that sarasat has caused.

Just like going for my annual extension I always have more copies and more paperwork than they need.  

What it shows the school is that you are at least open and are trying to provide what they may need for the WP.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

It most definitely the schools responsibility to provide proof that the degree is real. 

Read what Scott said. Confirms what I said. In 20 years here never saw a school check a degree. Reference checks... yes but no credential nor degree validation check. It will never happen here with the teacher turnover. It is not economically and time wise feasible. It looks like you are guessing.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Read what Scott said. Confirms what I said. In 20 years here never saw a school check a degree. Reference checks... yes but no credential nor degree validation check. It will never happen here with the teacher turnover. It is not economically and time wise feasible. It looks like you are guessing.

The teacher never knew that the degree was being checked on unless there was a problem.   For example, any teacher from the UK had to be the one to write to the school, but for the US, I used the National Student Clearinghouse and their verification email was sent with the degree.  

An official copy of the Transcript sent from the school was the pivotal piece of information.  To begin with, it came to the school and we left it sealed.  Later the TCT wanted it sent directly to them.  

@OP-we have a teacher from the uk here with no degree and he got a wp. The agency and the school both wrote a letter to Khurusapa (TCT) asking for a waiver and that was used for the wp.

@Scott-do/did you have some kind of need-to-know or authentication when requesting verification from the states? Seems strange that just any JoeBlow could write and get a copy of someone's degree. If that's the case, what would be the deterrent to getting a copy of a recently deceased person's degree and photoshopping your name onto it?