Phuket woman dies after eating young horseshoe crab

snoop1130

Phuket woman dies after eating young horseshoe crab

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1601899563_1-org.jpg

Ms Wanthana’s casket at her funeral today (Oct 5). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- A local marine life expert has warned people to not eat young horseshoe crabs still in their early stages of development as they may be poisonous, after a woman died from eating a horseshoe crab caught in the mangroves in the Soi King Kaew area in Rassada.

“People should not eat young horseshoe crabs, even if they are cooked, as they might be still poisonous,” Son Wongsala, a well known marine life expert in Phuket, told The Phuket News today.

“People should especially avoid eating horseshoe crabs caught in mangroves, as they have yet to fully develop. Young horseshoe crabs can be identified by their small size and that the tail still has hair,” he added.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-woman-dies-after-eating-young-horseshoe-crab-77549.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-05

Talking of strange things to eat I was happily devouring a very tasty ,meaty stew and I made the mistake of asking what the meat was. After a bit of discussion in Thai I was told long tail, totally confused I asked, live in sea thinking they caught it from boat, no, long tail run up tree. The penny dropped and I realised that was my first taste of monitor lizard and also my last.

There is no horseshoe crab "meat." Turn one over and watch the cook tear it apart. The egg clusters are the only edible part. Unless you want to chew on the shell....

Off topic but water monitors are quite nice. Funny how people will enjoy something until they are informed what it is. 

Edited by Trujillo