No hope for Non O based on retirement.

I have just had a reply from the Thai Embassy in London and it seems there is no hope for those of us with current Non O extensions and re-entry permits to return to Thailand. They have suggested applying for a Non O - A.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Retirement visa still not permit. please apply for Non-OA

Non-Immigrant Type O-A long Stay (age 50 years or over) 1 year validity

In order to access online visa application, please go to https://thaievisa.go.th/Home

(Sign up for Individual)

1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages
  2. A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
  3. Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO, DBS, or issued by the police) or Ireland
  4. Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  5. Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check < http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement 
Or copy of your insurance policy which covers COVID-19 and no less than 100,000 USD (for 1 year validity)

Applicants must be of age 50 years old or over.

(The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.)

Kind Regards,

Visa Officer

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Had to read your post twice. Yes there is zero chance of mass visitors from world wide for long time. Current news regarding UK moving to tighter controls etc. Also many other countries far worse. India France, the list goes on.

The STV is a scam.

Will allow minimal folk from China and few token countries. 

It's a red herring.

The subject is non-o and those with valid non-o re entry permits people getting back, not mass visitors

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nout said:

Nonsense.  With thousands of empty hotel rooms they do have ability to process thousands in quarantine

I have lost the link to the government web page giving the requirements for a hotel to qualify for accomodating guests for state quarantine or alternative state quarantine and would appreciate it if someone who has this link would kindly post it for the information of the readers of this topic. As I remember them, they make for interesting reading.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pottinger said:

If you didn't know it already, this makes pretty clear just what present Thai authorities think of their responsibilities towards retirees with 'Non-O' visas and extensions, bought in good faith.

They paid 1900 baht I guess same as someone getting a 30 day extension. I am optimistic these will be added to those qualifying for a COE in the future, worry is it expiring first.

10 hours ago, Nout said:

Nonsense.  With thousands of empty hotel rooms they do have ability to process thousands in quarantine

I think there is a good deal more to providing quarantine facilities than an empty hotel room. I spoke to someone who was recently released and it seemed quite strict and 'secure'.... I like to hope it will be.

13 hours ago, mlkik said:

I have just had a reply from the Thai Embassy in London and it seems there is no hope for those of us with current Non O extensions and re-entry permits to return to Thailand. They have suggested applying for a Non O - A.

If you are in receipt of the UK State Pension then I understand that the Embassy will still issue you with a single-entry non-O visa on those grounds (although probably advisable to double-check this with them since all details of specific visa types have - hopefully only temporarily - been removed from their website).

Otherwise your best bet IMHO would be to apply for a single-entry tourist visa in due course, which you could subsequently convert to a non-O visa at your local immigration office back in Thailand before hitting the annual retirement extension of stay trail once again. You should definitely avoid a fresh non-OA visa like the plague in view of the ridiculously nonsensical health insurance requirement which has now been imposed on all those using this particular visa type to enter Thailand.

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

If you are in receipt of the UK State Pension then I understand that the Embassy will still issue you with a single-entry non-O visa on those grounds (although probably advisable to double-check this with them since all details of specific visa types have - hopefully only temporarily - been removed from their website).

Otherwise your best bet IMHO would be to apply for a single-entry tourist visa in due course, which you could subsequently convert to a non-O visa at your local immigration office back in Thailand before hitting the annual retirement extension of stay trail once again. You should definitely avoid a fresh non-OA visa like the plague in view of the ridiculously nonsensical health insurance requirement which has now been imposed on all those using this particular visa type to enter Thailand.

I am 14 years away from state pension age and waiting for a tourist visa will take a very long time,maybe mid next year at the earliest.

The health insurance for corona virus and coe are also expensive so I do not see too much difference in costs.

I have been living in Thailand full time for 4 and a half years and my home and life is there. I need to go back asap.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pottinger said:

If you didn't know it already, this makes pretty clear just what present Thai authorities think of their responsibilities towards retirees with 'Non-O' visas and extensions, bought in good faith.

You really are paranoid, aren't you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I have just checked the London embassy page and it still states they are not issuing non -o for retirement, put perhaps it has not been updated, and i have not read a report on any forum that anyone has got one, but that could change in the blink of an eye

22 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The insurance requirement is impossible for anyone older than 75 years, or is there a work around?

Poster Peter Denis has been very helpful with ideas on insurance, perhaps if he does not see this, pm him

Edited by howerde
spelling
  • Thanks 2

Even if you applied for a Non-OA you'd still have little prospect of getting back unless you have Thai family here. An article earlier on said that so far, only 50 people in total with the expensive Thai Elite visa have been allowed in, so what hope for a cheapo Non-OA?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

Even if you applied for a Non-OA you'd still have little prospect of getting back unless you have Thai family here. An article earlier on said that so far, only 50 people in total with the expensive Thai Elite visa have been allowed in, so what hope for a cheapo Non-OA?

O-A 0-x are allowed back at least from london,  

Requirements for Certificate of Entry during travel restriction

9 Jul 2020

For diplomats and officials of international organisations

For work permit holders 

For non-Thai who are going to work in Thailand

For family members of Thai nationals (spouse/children)

For medical treatment in Thailand

For students in formal education at school or university levels

For holders of Certificate of Residence

For long-stay visa holder (Non-Immigrant O-A/O-X)

For Elite Card holders

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Guderian said:

You dont need hope if you have a O-A you just apply for your COE and book your flight and ASQ ,get your insurance , have your covid test and go to Thailand.

It seems the cheapo way is the way to go  555

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

Why the discrimination against O retirement visa holders? Why is one group of retiree allowed but not the other group of retiree?

I think almost everyone who was on O-A have changed to O visa last year. Now they want us to change back?

Is this just because it's from the UK Maybe? And I'm sure it'll be the same from the US can other countries return that have safer numbers? I renewed my retirement Visa in country right around the 1st of March with a multi entry permit so I am out the 4,000 for the re-entry permit because I won't have a chance to use it but I really don't care I'm just glad I was here and didn't leave the country

41 minutes ago, mlkik said:

You dont need hope if you have a O-A you just apply for your COE and book your flight and ASQ ,get your insurance , have your covid test and go to Thailand.

It seems the cheapo way is the way to go  555

Can you direct me to posts or thread where someone has entered Thailand as you outline above.

Plenty of accounts of guys having gone through the process on being married to a Thai etc. 

They are now applying income as well as insurance requirements to NonOA! Again the Insurance companies are dictating immigration policy insisting on their pound of flesh as the price of entry. Not sure how many NonO retirement holders are outside Thailand but a very large sum of premiums must be at large.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nout said:

I watched a video on a returning expat from the U.K., every passenger was met by an individual Thai rep. on landing in Bangkok, I doubt they would have enough staff if thousands started to arrive.