Should private health insurance be expected when teaching at private schools?

As a foreign-born teacher in Thailand, how normal is receiving private health insurance in teaching jobs with private schools?

I assume all teachers at government schools only receive the gov't insurance that all Thai employees receive, but what about at private (not necessarily "international") schools?

Should it be expected, or just appreciated when it's offered?

12 minutes ago, J Town said:

Both.

Ok, so generally speaking, private insurance is something that an expat should expect to receive when teaching for a private school. Ok, thanks.

I was disappointed to hear the bilingual school that offered me a position only provided the regular government health insurance. (They also wouldn't pay for the Christmas holiday time off, either.) AND instead of a contract completion bonus, they hold 3000thb salary as "security", to be returned only after contract completion.

24 minutes ago, allencraig said:

Ok, so generally speaking, private insurance is something that an expat should expect to receive when teaching for a private school. Ok, thanks.

I was disappointed to hear the bilingual school that offered me a position only provided the regular government health insurance. (They also wouldn't pay for the Christmas holiday time off, either.) AND instead of a contract completion bonus, they hold 3000thb salary as "security", to be returned only after contract completion.

Avoid those places, especially in this current Covid climate. Schools are desperate for teachers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J Town said:

Schools are desperate for teachers.

Yes, I know this is generally the case—which is my opportunity as I'm not a formally trained teacher. I have a good, but unrelated bachelor's degree and a good TEFL. I have a few years of teaching experience in a few countries, but almost exclusively teaching business English to small groups. My classroom experience is somewhat limited and I'm looking for a decent opportunity to rectify this. So with much of the better qualified teachers out of the country I'm hoping to get a position I wouldn't otherwise have access to. (And this opportunity is to teach science and geography—two topics I enjoy—to an age group that very enjoyable (Kindy).)

But all the same, I don't want to be grossly underpaid or accept weak benefits that shouldn't have to. So I appreciate your opinion on this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allencraig said:

Yes, I know this is generally the case—which is my opportunity as I'm not a formally trained teacher. I have a good, but unrelated bachelor's degree and a good TEFL. I have a few years of teaching experience in a few countries, but almost exclusively teaching business English to small groups. My classroom experience is somewhat limited and I'm looking for a decent opportunity to rectify this. So with much of the better qualified teachers out of the country I'm hoping to get a position I wouldn't otherwise have access to. (And this opportunity is to teach science and geography—two topics I enjoy—to an age group that very enjoyable (Kindy).)

But all the same, I don't want to be grossly underpaid or accept weak benefits that shouldn't have to. So I appreciate your opinion on this.

Why not teach business/corporate or exam preparation classes (e.g. IELTS)?  Lots of places in Bangkok to do this (Wall Street, Westminster, Language Express, New Cambridge, UAU, British Council).  All should provide medical insurance for full-time teachers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why not teach business/corporate or exam preparation classes (e.g. IELTS)

Fair question, but I don't enjoy academic English instruction. Now that said, an adult/business course about communicating w/ English at a "higher" level, either for business or in a marketing or creative field, is right up my alley and I'd be exceptionally well-qualified for that. But outside of generic variations of this, this kind of course is rather unique and I've not been able to find opportunities that would pay fairly to deliver my interpretation of it. Open to suggestions, though!

Government is better than private if you pair it to a good hospital. it pays everything no questions asked. Private schools generally give ruby coverage which is squat and if you have any priors good luck being covered. Your thread is going sideways. Stick to your initial question. Your insecurities about the kinda job you can get don't belong here and to be honest if you are so insecure about your skills maybe teaching isn't for you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Whether to get private health insurance or not, it will only be valid whilst you are teaching at that school.

If you are already in Thailand or just considering moving here and you have not considered your own private health insurance, you are mad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, puchooay said:

Whether to get private health insurance or not, it will only be valid whilst you are teaching at that school.

If you are already in Thailand or just considering moving here and you have not considered your own private health insurance, you are mad.

Have to admit, I retired VERY early (age 46) from a civil service career and had full insurance from retirement. Granted, if a serious injury occurred, I'd have to return to the states for coverage. With health care as cheap as it is generally, I'm quite happy, and when I DO work, the school coverage handles all the typical checkups, including vision.

If I remember correctly, when working for a bilingual school, the private healthcare was subsidized, the owner was a local insurance agent and you were insured through her company, So it was basically a scam to propagate sales for her. No one ever used it, so I don’t know the standard of hospital, the only thing I ever used was a once yearly free dentist checkup and clean. The pay was something like 36K and you paid 2K for insurance. 

Yeah, the last job I had, another bilingual, I liked the school and the kids - small classes, creative lessons - but they just wouldn’t pay - same thing - 10 days at Xmas, 2 weeks at Songkran, summer camps all through the holiday, that was it. 30K less tax. I was in a bit of a squeeze, I helped out for term and moved on.

Had plenty of other gigs with a base rate of 27K but you got 3K bonus for every month you worked if you completed the year - if it was a retainer or deposit, it’s illegal as far as I know. 

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Government is better than private if you pair it to a good hospital. it pays everything no questions asked. Private schools generally give ruby coverage which is squat and if you have any priors good luck being covered. Your thread is going sideways. Stick to your initial question. Your insecurities about the kinda job you can get don't belong here and to be honest if you are so insecure about your skills maybe teaching isn't for you.

I'll discuss my topic how I wish to discuss it. If you don't have any valuable contribution then please find other ways to procrastinate your time away. Your ignorant opinion isn't welcome, thank you very much.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, allencraig said:

I'll discuss my topic how I wish to discuss it. If you don't have any valuable contribution then please find other ways to procrastinate your time away. Your ignorant opinion isn't welcome, thank you very much.

Didn't you come on here for advice? I would suggest, if you can't handle the advice you are given don't ask for it in the first place. Either that or just ignore it and move on.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I was in a bit of a squeeze, I helped out for term and moved on.

Yes, I get this approach and have taken it in past, short-term teaching gigs. I would feel more compelled to honestly commit the full year with this current opportunity as I would be the homeroom teacher for two groups of kids, and I think it's important for kids this age to have reliable "authority figures".

Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country.  If you expect a long Christmas holiday then your only option is an international school.  Are you a qualified, experienced, licensed teacher?  If not, then forget being a teacher here.  Just go home. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allencraig said:

Hey bub... I answered your question better than any of the other answers you got from anyone else. Your trying to make yourself inyeresting here and trying to keep your thread going is obvious. Start another thread about your teaching wishes and whims rather than hijack your own thread to make it a monologue about you yourself and you

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, allencraig said:

Should it be expected, or just appreciated when it's offered?

To my knowledge: Some schools might offer you Social Security, others might give their foreign teachers an extra 1,000 baht a month instead, and the teacher can buy his/her own insurance.

With a work permit you should be able to voluntary join the Social Security-system, which includes health cover on an assigned government hospital. The fee is (at the moment) 10 percent of the salary, minimum 500 baht a month, and maximum 1,500 baht a month. If you stay in Thailand after finished work, you can continue in the system for a modest fee, a little under 500 baht a month...????

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 5:31 PM, puchooay said:

Didn't you come on here for advice? I would suggest, if you can't handle the advice you are given don't ask for it in the first place. Either that or just ignore it and move on.

Yea, related suggestions or advice on my posted question. Not ignorant insults that are off topic—or do you think any time you open your mouth what comes out should be revered as relevant and valuable? Get over yourself and try being a little more thoughtful. That's MY all-knowing suggestion.  

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:49 PM, khunPer said:

To my knowledge: Some schools might offer you Social Security, others might give their foreign teachers an extra 1,000 baht a month instead, and the teacher can buy his/her own insurance.

With a work permit you should be able to voluntary join the Social Security-system, which includes health cover on an assigned government hospital. The fee is (at the moment) 10 percent of the salary, minimum 500 baht a month, and maximum 1,500 baht a month. If you stay in Thailand after finished work, you can continue in the system for a modest fee, a little under 500 baht a month...????

Thanks KhunPer. I've gone to a few government hospitals on my own. With a lot of research I was usually (but not always) able to be treated by decent doctors, but the amount of time involved before my visits and especially during was a lot, so I'd strongly prefer having private insurance.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, CM Dad said:

Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country.  If you expect a long Christmas holiday then your only option is an international school.  Are you a qualified, experienced, licensed teacher?  If not, then forget being a teacher here.  Just go home. 

I know the religion of Thailand. Thanks for that completely unhelpful and arrogant input. I'm well-aware of the working situation here, as well as in other nearby countries. And although I am a qualified teacher, I'm trying to expand my teaching experience—if that's ok with you. If you take the time to read and understand my post before shooting your mouth off, you'd understand that I'm trying not to assume or "expect" anything, so I want to figure out what's typical. (And any school that closes for a Christmas break is counting Christmas as an "official" holiday. So it's reasonable to ask if a position there pays for time off during official holidays.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/6/2020 at 7:14 PM, LazySlipper said:

Hey bub... I answered your question better than any of the other answers you got from anyone else. Your trying to make yourself inyeresting here and trying to keep your thread going is obvious. Start another thread about your teaching wishes and whims rather than hijack your own thread to make it a monologue about you yourself and you

Actually no, your response was not "better" than everyone else. (Plus, it was wrapped in an insult.) You really think you're something, huh? I think you need get a life and stop trolling strangers online to make yourself feel good..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, allencraig said:

I know the religion of Thailand. Thanks for that completely unhelpful and arrogant input. I'm well-aware of the working situation here, as well as in other nearby countries. And although I am a qualified teacher, I'm trying to expand my teaching experience—if that's ok with you. If you take the time to read and understand my post before shooting your mouth off, you'd understand that I'm trying not to assume or "expect" anything, so I want to figure out what's typical. (And any school that closes for a Christmas break is counting Christmas as an "official" holiday. So it's reasonable to ask if a position there pays for time off during official holidays.

Oh dear. Never mind. Guess you are just not cut out for it.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:58 PM, allencraig said:

Actually no, your response was not "better" than everyone else. (Plus, it was wrapped in an insult.) You really think you're something, huh? I think you need get a life and stop trolling strangers online to make yourself feel good..

You get the answer to your question, then you don't like it cos it takes too long to sit in government hospitals to be serviced?

You don't want to work over Christmas knowing this is a budhist country?

I am with Puchooay on this one and was from the very start of your posts. You are simply not cut out for it. 

Edited by LazySlipper
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

A lot of the health insurance policies here cover you well for quick office visits, but not well for hospitalizations.  The limits can be shockingly low.  The big schools use it as bait, but some of those policies are worth about 2000 THB per year, which is what BBL sells them for in their branches.  

• Like 1