25 years of age , acquiring thai passport. How can I avoid conscription

robboc1

Hi I’m 25 years of age and born in New Zealand mother is a full thai national and father is a New Zealander .

i have recently applied for a thai passport and in the process of getting it , however I only plan on travelling to Thailand for about 3 months on my thai passport because I can’t on my New Zealand one .

is there any way to avoid thai military conscription next year? I want to go In December and return to my country before the lottery.Is this possible ? 

ive heard different things like I’ve got 5 years to enlist and things like don’t  register to thai housing to avoid it 

and would me not fulfilling military service effect future visits on my

New Zealand passport 

just looking for some options if anyone could help me 

• Haha 1

I can't tell you about TH and New Zealand. However, in my case, I am Czech and had my permanent residency in Germany. The German government said that I am Czech and don't need to military service. The Czech government said that I live in Germany so don't have to do military service. The German government would only conscribe until the maximum age of 24 at that time.

Your habitual residence is in New Zealand. 

Edited by Mak25

It’s a simple matter of choice. There is no way around it now, other than to take a chance and draw a ball on selection and Hope you get the right color so that you don’t have to enlist. In order to get the Thai passport, you’ll need to be entered in a blue book (house registration), no way around that. When you get the Thai passport, the ONLY way that you can be sure if to be safe is to not travel to Thailand again until you reach 30 years old. After this age, you’ll be exempt. If you try to enter before this age, when you reach the airport and present your passport, you will most likely be detained, arrested and then taken directly to the military for 2 years service. This also goes the same if you try to use your NZ passport too as they will link it. I’ve seen people in the same situation think that they can beat the system by using their foreign policy to enter only to be marched off to military camp and we’ve two years service.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mak25 said:

I can't tell you about TH and New Zealand. However, in my case, I am Czech and had my permanent residency in Germany. The German government said that I am Czech and don't need to military service. The Czech government said that I live in Germany so don't have to do military service. The German government would only conscribe until the maximum age of 24 at that time.

Your habitual residence is in New Zealand. 

Germany has no conscription. It was cancelled some 6 years ago.

1 hour ago, johng said:

You can  become a "Ladyboy"  the more outrageously overboard the better  ,become a monk or a perpetual student until  too old for conscription or pay a bribe of about 30,000 +++++  baht

the option to be a Monk for 3 Months in lieu, is an actual option on the table...

My nephew availed it 

admitted later he enjoyed it too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't have to worry as long as you have not register yourself into the Tabien Baan. For my case, I got my Thai Birth Certificate and Thai Passport (About to) at the Thai Embassy of my birth country without going to Thailand and register myself into the Tabien Baan.

Even if you have already registered yourself into the Tabien Baan, your chance of getting called up are super slim.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tifino said:

the option to be a Monk for 3 Months in lieu, is an actual option on the table...

My nephew availed it 

yep,  nothing like spending 3 months as a useless leech on society, robbing poor people each morning of what little food many of them have, in lieu of something more positive and worthwhile. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

yep,  nothing like spending 3 months as a useless leech on society, robbing poor people each morning of what little food many of them have, in lieu of something more positive and worthwhile. 

While I'm not really a fan of the Thai clergy, saying that they are effectively worse than even Thailand's dishonorable military really takes the cake.

The OP seems to have no delusions of glory associated with Thai military service. Good for him.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

While I'm not really a fan of the Thai clergy, saying that they are effectively worse than even Thailand's dishonorable military really takes the cake.

The OP seems to have no delusions of glory associated with Thai military service. Good for him.

They are indeed much worse  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

this individual wouldn't have survived as a grunt...

and definitely not mature enough to be given control of a weapon 

6 hours ago, tifino said:

My nephew availed it 

Is this really a viable option because I would much rather be a monk for 3 months 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Falcon said:

It’s a simple matter of choice. There is no way around it now, other than to take a chance and draw a ball on selection and Hope you get the right color so that you don’t have to enlist. In order to get the Thai passport, you’ll need to be entered in a blue book (house registration), no way around that. When you get the Thai passport, the ONLY way that you can be sure if to be safe is to not travel to Thailand again until you reach 30 years old. After this age, you’ll be exempt. If you try to enter before this age, when you reach the airport and present your passport, you will most likely be detained, arrested and then taken directly to the military for 2 years service. This also goes the same if you try to use your NZ passport too as they will link it. I’ve seen people in the same situation think that they can beat the system by using their foreign policy to enter only to be marched off to military camp and we’ve two years service.

This is absurd.  Both of my luk krung boys, who now live in the USA, have travelled in and out of Thailand with both their US and Thai passports.  They hold Thai and US citizenship, have Thai ID cards, are fluent in Thai and English, and are both registered in the house registration blue book (Tabian Baan).  Not once has the subject of Thai military service ever come up either entering or exiting Thailand.  They have entered and exited the country numerous times in their 20's with no issue.  Now that they are both in their 30's there is no chance that they will be drafted.  You definitely do not know what you are talking about and have no direct experience with this.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robboc1 said:

Is this really a viable option because I would much rather be a monk for 3 months 

totally 'viable' ...  his mum was speaking for him when the situation first arose (as he went to ground in fright of it all) - and she was given the two options side by side (grunt or Monk) 

Nephew holds Aus & Thai passports, this all started up whilst he was domicile in Oz

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 11:18 AM, Pilotman said:

my friend's son was in just your position, as a Thai Brit citizen. He was selected in the lottery and had to give up his Thai citizenship to avoid conscription.  Having said that, I said 'had to' but he did have a choice and a year in the military can be a defining and positive experience, so I would caution on dismissing it as a option. My Thai Brit daughter, educated and living in the UK,  is even considering a three year engagement in the Thai Navy, as a career move for her.  As an Education Officer, ( she is tri=lingual and has a degree in education) if she was lucky enough to pass selection, would be great for her and her future. 

Only pure Thai can be officers though I think. So it's the enlisted for your daughter.