Thailand's stray dogs: Rabies alert as six primary school kids savaged at breaktime

webfact

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Soi dogs foundation activities are the equivalent of bailing out a sinking boat with a cup, while they sterilize a few hundred far more are being born all over the place.

You are not aware of their work, are you?

CNVR -             Capture

Neuter

Vaccinate

Release

If owners live in places where Soi Dog is working – Phuket, Phang Nga, Samui  and Bangkok – they can have their pets vaccinated and sterilised. Free. The schedules for Soi Dog mobile clinics are constantly updated on our Facebook Page  (https://www.facebook.com/SoiDogInThai/)

SDF is currently running (Covid permitting) a campaign to do this is BKK

They have already done so in Phuket with great success

Last year they CNVR’d 4000 dogs on Samui, KPG and Kog Tao

In BKK they have a 7 to 10 year, Bt550-million project to control the ENTIRE dog population. It  will see an increasing number of mobile surgical teams recruited to target the estimated 640,000 stray dogs that roam the streets in Bangkok. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

You are not aware of their work, are you

In BKK they have a 7 to 10 year, Bt550-million project to control the ENTIRE dog population. It  will see an increasing number of mobile surgical teams recruited to target the estimated 640,000 stray dogs that roam the streets in Bangkok. 

It can work on Islands not in the rest of the country. They can have plans for Bangkok but will never get the numbers down, pie in the sky they don't have the money or resources. What is needed is the army knocking them off then collecting the bodies for burning. Sterilize dogs still bite, spread disease, <deleted> all over the place, cause traffic accidents and cause a noise disturbance. What will the foundation do about that?

• Like 2

Be aware - as yet I believe there is no evidence of rabies.

Rabies is quite rare in Thailand.

However if you are bitten by ANY MAMMAL - you should immediately get the vaccine jabs as you can't wait to find out if the animal that bit had it or not. The result of rabies is DEATH.

In Thailand the greatest danger from Rabies comes from privately owned dogs and puppies sold on markets - people feel comfortable coming into close contact with them

A "nip" from a puppy if it breaks the skin is all you need to get infected.....or a lick on an open scratch from a friendly dog would be sufficient too.

So it is not a "given" that this dogs had rabies - however large groups of dogs behave differently from individuals and this can lead to aggressive behaviour.

as said a cull won't work, but long ternm polices will - such as the CNVR campaign in BKK.

If you are one of those "do-gooders" who feeds street dogs - you should be in no doubt at all the you are contributing to Thailand's dog problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

It can work on Islands not in the rest of the country. They can have plans for Bangkok but will never get the numbers down, pie in the sky they don't have the money or resources. What is needed is the army knocking them off then collecting the bodies for burning. Sterilize dogs still bite, spread disease, <deleted> all over the place, cause traffic accidents and cause a noise disturbance. What will the foundation do about that?

Yes - it is far easier to work on islands - why? Because there are no neighbouring populations to take the place.

In Bangkok - if you killed them, all that happens is that neighbouring animals take their place, bring any diseases with them.

that is WHY you CNVR.....this leaves healthy non-reproducing animals in what would otherwise be a gap. In the long run 70% vaccine will create herd immunity and 80% sterilisation will being about a gradual reduction in the population.

The buildings and space to deal with a constant flow of dog carcasses - has been analysed and found to be impractical - it is well established tryout the world that culls don't work.

they are not efficient

Not cost effective

Present a health hazard

I Bangkok one was tried several years ago and failed on various levels - one was that Thai people don't like seeing dogs being shot everywhere - and the walking wounded crawling away to die ...in drains and water supplies etc

Irt also failsed to make any permanent ent in the population.

Remember you ae talking 640000 dogs in BKK alone.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Neuter

Vaccinate

Release

If owners live in places where Soi Dog is working – Phuket, Phang Nga, Samui  and Bangkok – they can have their pets vaccinated and sterilised. Free. The schedules for Soi Dog mobile clinics are constantly updated on our Facebook Page  (https://www.facebook.com/SoiDogInThai/)

They hae done so in Phuket

The only way to solve this problem is all dogs must be micro chipped with the owners name and address. And if picked up on the streets the owner pays a fine and can not own a dog for 10 years. This would be great news for the dogs, if we could only tell them.

7 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Neuter

Vaccinate

Release

They hae done so in Phuket

I suppose making such unrealistic claims is the thing to do in Thailand, so you're in the right place. No one gets held accountable, you'll be fine, you clearly know this.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Here we go again, soi dogs need to be exterminated like the dangerous vermin they are, not fed bags of old rice by idiots and left for the numbers to explode into the millions. Just wait until the 'pittie' genes get into the stray population, kids will be ripped apart not just bitten.

Thais love animals. So the rabid soi dogs will make their way into the crocodile lake where the hungry crocs wait. 

26 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

BTW - ....The last cull killed 200 dogs per day - at that rate it would take nearly 10 years to kill the current population - but as bitches can have up to 3 litters per year - you can see that the rate of replacement would just about nullify and extermination.

It also created a public uproar.

12 minutes ago, MisguidedPangolin said:

I suppose making such unrealistic claims is the thing to do in Thailand, so you're in the right place. No one gets held accountable, you'll be fine, you clearly know this.

Sorry what "unrealistic claims"???

Edited by Airbagwill

9 hours ago, 2long said:

As far as I know it's not possible to 'test for rabies' without cutting the mammal's head off. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

This is very sad, and a difficult situation all over the country. Why should humans destroy the dogs for our own convenience of living with peace of mind? Sterilising the females to reduce reproduction and castrating the males to reduce aggression is the only solution.

Quarantine for 21 days, if rabies is present then the dog is dead.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

They have a mobile vet unit which does free rabies jabs, been to our house a few times in the last few years. First time they got a bit of a surprise, we have about 60 cats and about 10 dogs, ran out of vaccine and had to come back the next day. Many fail to realise that when it comes to rabies cats are more of a problem, a dog gets the disease and will die, a cat can carry the virus it's whole life without anyone ever knowing. People should think about that the next time they let their child stroke a cat they don't know.

We had a lot of cats at our farm a few years back. Are rabies in cats a problem? What are the symptoms? 

Our cat is not at her best. I worry for her and not the family; perhaps I should.

I'm gonna do some research on this.

Great post.

1 hour ago, Bim Smith said:

Yes I have seen the kids in my neighborhood provoking the dogs. And the adults are no better. Dogs do not attack for no reason. This is a human problem. Don't blame the dogs. 

Well, they do attack if they have rabies. Rabies makes animals unusually aggressive and causes unprovoked attacks. As seems possible in the current mass attack.

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Buddhism does not stop them all eating meat and that cannot be done with killing masses of animals. There is another reason when it comes the the reluctance to deal with soi dogs, and I think we all know what that is.

hear, hear, - great conflict with one of the five main precepts of Buddhism - i am afraid that some hypocrisy comes to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

Yes - it is far easier to work on islands - why? Because there are no neighbouring populations to take the place.

In Bangkok - if you killed them, all that happens is that neighbouring animals take their place, bring any diseases with them.

that is WHY you CNVR.....this leaves healthy non-reproducing animals in what would otherwise be a gap. In the long run 70% vaccine will create herd immunity and 80% sterilisation will being about a gradual reduction in the population.

The buildings and space to deal with a constant flow of dog carcasses - has been analysed and found to be impractical - it is well established tryout the world that culls don't work.

they are not efficient

Not cost effective

Present a health hazard

I Bangkok one was tried several years ago and failed on various levels - one was that Thai people don't like seeing dogs being shot everywhere - and the walking wounded crawling away to die ...in drains and water supplies etc

Irt also failsed to make any permanent ent in the population.

Remember you ae talking 640000 dogs in BKK alone.

Dogs cannot move in to take the dead ones place if they are dead as well. I just cannot understand the logic of sterilizing- then letting them go to carry on suffering and causing a nuisance. If you capture them don't let them go, slot and incinerate, and carry on doing that in every province. It won't happen of course, but I am of the belief Buddhism only plays a small part in the  reluctance to kill. They are quite happy to let cows, pigs and chickens to be killed on an industrial scale, indulge in cock fighting and treat animals poorly. Soi dogs are special though, mmm.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

Nothing to do with being bhuddast its are down to money. Humans have caused it so its humans who must fix it. Make owners buy a licence like we did in the uk years ago and sterilize the dogs. Not all the dogs are bad and bite so would be unfair to kill them all 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mr mr said:

there is no compassion aiding the spread of these filthy animals. thai people need to be educated and the entire soi dog population needs to be put down. 

I poison the local ones whenever necessary and if I'm lucky I sometimes run them over when I'm driving

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Billions of Barht available for fast trains, submarines and a bridge to cross the bay, but no money to fix some of Thailands worst neglects, soi dogs, waste management and deaths on the road. Amazing Thailand.

Actually that's a false dichotomy. Also the projects you mention all have funding problems or aren't going to happen.

The problem is however similar to road safety - the authorities are simply too ignorant on the issues to enact appraise measures.

There are organisations who can sort out these problems but it is characteristic of successive governments that they just don't have sufficiently intelligent people who can understand the issues involved.

Like many on this thread they think problems are black & white issues that can be resolved by a simple single stroke - totally kidding themselves.

12 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

I poison the local ones whenever necessary and if I'm lucky I sometimes run them over when I'm driving

Poisoning such a socially irresponsible, dangerous and inconsiderate action.

Quite part from being ineffective, anyone or any animal that comes into contact with a poisoned dog is putting tear own health at risk. furthermore poisoning is not selective - anything that consumes it is likely to die

• Like 1

Form a committee discuss it and discuss it some more.

Blame foreigners for feeding them.

And then at the end of it all do nothing.

Happened before when children were attacked and killed in BKK.