Thailand's stray dogs: Rabies alert as six primary school kids savaged at breaktime

webfact

17 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Here we go again, soi dogs need to be exterminated like the dangerous vermin they are, not fed bags of old rice by idiots and left for the numbers to explode into the millions. Just wait until the 'pittie' genes get into the stray population, kids will be ripped apart not just bitten.

Which victims were taken to Sang Vadahna Hospital? The dogs? 

I have personally seen a policeman shoot a Soi Dog dead for biting children, keep that quiet he may be arrested. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

As far as I'm aware there is no mating season for dogs - where did you get that idea from?

you have a point about temples - Monks feel obliged to feed dogs - in a misplaced concept about life being sacred......and suffering is part of it.

...and people tend to place sick or unwanted animals in temples. However this overlooks the fact that an abundance of food leads to an abundance of animals and subsequently an abundance of puppies.

The root cause of the dog problem in Thailand is feeding - it needs to be discouraged and shown to be an anti-social act. In the long run it helps no-one, not even the dogs.

Buddhism does play a large part in this. 

However the state of these dogs is appalling, I have never seen dogs in such a state, around food markets dragging themselves along the ground to try to scratch the horrible body bits hanging out of their bodies. 

Yet we see billions spent on the high speed rail to benefit Chinese investors, and a Suicide road system that has never been addressed. 

That speaks volumes, human lives on the roads don't matter and rabies infested mangy dogs biting children don't matter. 

The only thing that matters is certain people lining their pockets. 

• Like 1

Its funny when we holiday with family in a high Muslim part of Thailand there is NO SOI DOGS!!!

And from what I saw most of the streets were immaculate and house and buildings maintained and well kept.

It was quite the eye opener and I mentioned to my wife more than once and she agreed.

• Like 2

I used to enjoy an early morning cycle ride but had to stop as I was always chased and attacked by stray dogs. 

Employ dog catchers as they do in other countries and put down wild dogs. If the do-gooders complain let them take care of the dogs and be resposible for them.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dutchweller said:

Its funny when we holiday with family in a high Muslim part of Thailand there is NO SOI DOGS!!!

And from what I saw most of the streets were immaculate and house and buildings maintained and well kept.

It was quite the eye opener and I mentioned to my wife more than once and she agreed.

You don't see any porks around muslim settlements  either, something about Islam don't approve that kind of animals. 

On 10/7/2020 at 9:01 AM, mr mr said:

there is no compassion aiding the spread of these filthy animals. thai people need to be educated and the entire soi dog population needs to be put down. 

And any number owned by deaf Thais which disturb the peace of my estate.  I am reminded of an Issaan village yet residents pay 28,000 a year service fees.

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

We had a lot of cats at our farm a few years back. Are rabies in cats a problem? What are the symptoms? 

Our cat is not at her best. I worry for her and not the family; perhaps I should.

I'm gonna do some research on this.

Great post.

Not known to be a big problem, more of an unknown, a bit like your asymptomatic covids. My wife and her sister have a voluntary sanctuary for unwanted cats and a few years back she was carrying one and it was startled and slashed her across the face. The doctor was quite concerned when he found out the circumstances and explained the risks. Cats it would appear have a stronger ability to carry a dormant virus, and not just rabies, than most other mammals.

If you know the history of your cat then very unlikely there is a problem. We had some kittens and after they were neutered they all died, the vets view was they had a virus passed on from the mother and the operation compromised the immune system, the virus flared up and they died from the disease.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:08 AM, darksidedog said:

Sadly, there is neither the money, but more importantly the will to deal with the problem. Thais because of the Buddhist attitude won't put them down, leaving mass sterilisation as the only real long term solution, but that only occurs in meaninglessly small numbers. This is a story set to repeat itself again and again.

The buddhist attitude isn't against making money.

Some group of Chinese and Korean may be a willing buyer of these threats or treats.

For bite a bite!

17 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Jackson is on their 9th year of culling deer.

After 17 years of deer culling, the city of Stevens Point, WI

determined the deer population was "roughly the same

as it was." Is this the kind of "solution" we want?

Good solution!Use excess animals for food!Just like they did in Thailand before.

I would like to call this harvesting instead of culling,i see nothing wrong with this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dutchweller said:

Dogs are considered haram by most Muslims. The Angel Gabriel failed to appear once in Mohammad's house as there was a dog present, the Angel told him no Angel appears when filthy dogs are around. Muslim attitudes to dogs is one thing they get right which is why they make good neighbors, they don't go out to work leaving 6 barkers in the yard all day. At my SIL posh Sansiri estate some lunatic has over 30 dogs in a small house, claims it's his right!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Buddhism does play a large part in this. 

However the state of these dogs is appalling, I have never seen dogs in such a state, around food markets dragging themselves along the ground to try to scratch the horrible body bits hanging out of their bodies. 

Yet we see billions spent on the high speed rail to benefit Chinese investors, and a Suicide road system that has never been addressed. 

That speaks volumes, human lives on the roads don't matter and rabies infested mangy dogs biting children don't matter. 

The only thing that matters is certain people lining their pockets. 

quite simply, you don't seem to understand Buddhism. Suffering and reincarnation are important tenets.....

there are a lot of false conclusions on this thread....personal anecdote and people using one isolated example or incident to make sweeping generalisations about the whole issue..

the fact is that controlling the food supply (i.e.garbage) and CNVR will solve the problem - has done elsewhere and does not offend any principals of Buddhism, animal cruelty or any other ideas about the dogs.

Edited by Airbagwill

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Good solution!Use excess animals for food!Just like they did in Thailand before.

I would like to call this harvesting instead of culling,i see nothing wrong with this.

Not my words - you've quoted someone else.

Using one example is of course a stupid comparison. 

Deer are usually in nature controlled by predators - e.g. Wolves, but in the USA there was for decades a program against wolves which lead to their extinction in some areas and severely depleted populations in others.....howeverthe resulting explosion in the deer population was not necessarily realised as bad.

Firstly it gave "hunters" more targets - deer hunting became like shooting fish in a barrel.

What they didn't appreciate was that the over-large deer population was destroying the tree population and changing the overall wildlife environment - so long as there "hunters" were happy everything was thought be OK.....Now the realisation of an imbalanced eco-system is beginning to sink in.

The Soi dogs in Thailand have tear own eco-system but it is unnatural and causes problems both to people and wildlife.

The food sources - largely garbage are not handled well by local authorities and this allows dog populations to thrive. 

The damage dogs do to other animals by taking over vast areas is not yet fully appreciated. The system needs to be take in check and as with deer, culling cannot and will never reduce the population for more than a few days. The entire environment that the dogs live in needs to be assessed and reformed. Only the will the dog situation come under control.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dutchweller said:

Muslims in general regard dogs as "unclean" so they are not fed or encouraged in those areas. It is quire noticeable and very agreeable especially in some parts of the south.

I got bitten by a "stray dog" at a gas station 1 month ago. I have had 7 shots so far, and today I am going for the final rabies shot. Its a nightmare. Have been here for 20 years and this is the first time I got bitten, but there were so many close calls before. The dogs are the only thing here that really annoy me, as you cannot travel freely. Take care everyone and dont let the dogs bite, 16000 Baht and 1 month of shots.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I had two dogs with snarling nashers attack me in my car yesterday on a narrow road, it got to the point where after a few seconds of sh_t, taking one out was on the cards.

I missed....???? 

Be careful transam! Some time ago I talked with a German expat who lives in Chonburi. In an accident he killed a stray dog. The plod charged him 100,000 Baht penalty for that.

Be aware that you are not the spoiled Red Bull brat!

• Like 1

Just now, Flying Saucage said:

Be careful transam! Some time ago I talked with a German expat who lives in Chonburi. In an accident he killed a stray dog. The plod charged him 100,000 Baht penalty for that.

Be aware that you are not the spoiled Red Bull brat!

Not to worry, our lad a is non parking ticket BiB......????

1 hour ago, transam said:

I had two dogs with snarling nashers attack me in my car yesterday on a narrow road, it got to the point where after a few seconds of sh_t, taking one out was on the cards.

I missed....???? 

This illustrates two things

Firstly that dogs cause traffic hazards, especially if the driver starts swerving all over the place and loses concentration on the road.

Secondly, it is worth remembering that if you kill or injure a dog, you are likely to be held accountable.

As a sub codicil - there are several "categories" of "Soi Dogs" - and not all are simply "feral" - many are "owned" by people in a street.

Streets often regard the dogs there as guardians as they will raise the alarm if strangers approach - hence snarling at bikes cars people etc.

1 hour ago, AusDieMaus said:

I got bitten by a "stray dog" at a gas station 1 month ago. I have had 7 shots so far, and today I am going for the final rabies shot. Its a nightmare. Have been here for 20 years and this is the first time I got bitten, but there were so many close calls before. The dogs are the only thing here that really annoy me, as you cannot travel freely. Take care everyone and dont let the dogs bite, 16000 Baht and 1 month of shots.

It's worth getting the primary shots first so that if you ARE bitten you only need the last few booster shots.

If you haven't been bitten you then have time to look around for these shots...... When I was actually bitten, I paid less than 500 baht for my booster shots....but that was 15 years ago. the dog that bit me was a "pet" boxer owned by a hotel owned by a policeman........ the dog was known to bite passers-by

Edited by Airbagwill

1 minute ago, jvs said:

I quoted from post # 93,looks like your post,sorry if i am wrong.

THere's a problem on TV - if you quote a quote is comes up as the quoter not the quoted - if you follow my meaning.

If you read my other posts, you'll get a clear idea of my standing on this topic.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2020 at 4:02 AM, 2long said:

As far as I know it's not possible to 'test for rabies' without cutting the mammal's head off. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

This is very sad, and a difficult situation all over the country. Why should humans destroy the dogs for our own convenience of living with peace of mind? Sterilising the females to reduce reproduction and castrating the males to reduce aggression is the only solution.

Then I do hope that they start to test for rabies on ALL stray dogs ???? !!

Edited by Yahooka

15 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

So any sign of Rabies yet? I think it will be vey unlikely.

You mean in the dogs? I believe they have to take a sample of brain tissue and it would mean killing them. If you mean the kids, well likely they will just get the injections, else it is fatal.

21 hours ago, AusDieMaus said:

It might have been a dog that the Soi Dog foundation sterilized! These soppy do gooders have no answer to the dogs continuing to be a health hazard and a pest. Stopping a few thousand breeding while the vast majority carry on multiplying only helps their own feelings and does almost nothing to solve the dog problem. Dead dogs do not breed- or bite

• Like 1
  • Haha 1