Flight to UK

Not sure where to post this.

My wife and her child have just been granted a visitor visa to the UK. The plan is for them to come over in November and return to Thailand in January.

I'm in the process of booking flights and wondering whether I should book singles or returns? As I understand it, they can only return back to Thailand on repatriated flights so it seems a waste of money booking return tickets. On the other hand, I'm worried that UK immigration will think they are here to stay if I book them single tickets.

Any ideas ?

From October 2020, Thai nationals in the United Kingdom and Ireland wishing to return to Thailand can purchase tickets directly from the airlines that are permitted to fly to Bangkok, so providing the flight is operating it shouldn't be a problem.

A friend of mine is returning on an Eva flight, which he booked himself, later this month, he already has his CoE.

My only caveat is that things could change at any time.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/th/content/การลงทะเบียนเพื่อจองเที่ยวบินพิเศษกลับประเทศไทยใน?cate=5f069ee372a783584326eb77

7 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

From October 2020, Thai nationals in the United Kingdom and Ireland wishing to return to Thailand can purchase tickets directly from the airlines that are permitted to fly to Bangkok, so providing the flight is operating it shouldn't be a problem.

A friend of mine is returning on an Eva flight, which he booked himself, later this month, he already has his CoE.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/th/content/การลงทะเบียนเพื่อจองเที่ยวบินพิเศษกลับประเทศไทยใน?cate=5f069ee372a783584326eb77

Perfect. Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Rmac442 said:

From a virus point of view, to be honest, taking anyone out of Thailand and into the UK right now is crazy .. not to mention the 14 hour+ trip ..

and the shock to a Thai person going from 30+° to 6/10° or worse !!!!

We've discussed all these factors.

Donald Trump said its no worse than the Flu so why would I doubt him?

They'll be flying Biz and I'm led to believe the air is much cleaner in that part of the plane plus no riff-raff coughing and spluttering all over them.

They've both eaten ice-cream before so know what to expect.

I guess you could either get a one-way ticket, or a return ticket and hope that the return segment lines up with a potential CoE flight? Maybe choose BR or TG (on a Sunday departure ex-LHR)? And then hope you can change the ticket if the CoE queue is out of January? That said, you ,may not be able to buy a return ticket as the LHR-BKK segment will show as unavailable until it is approved as a CoE flight.

Quarantine on the return might a challenge for a child?

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I guess you could either get a one-way ticket, or a return ticket and hope that the return segment lines up with a potential CoE flight? Maybe choose BR or TG (on a Sunday departure ex-LHR)? And then hope you can change the ticket if the CoE queue is out of January? That said, you ,may not be able to buy a return ticket as the LHR-BKK segment will show as unavailable until it is approved as a CoE flight.

Quarantine on the return might a challenge for a child?

No issue buying the return ticket. I think we'll just deal with it when the time comes.

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

We've discussed all these factors.

Donald Trump said its no worse than the Flu so why would I doubt him?

They'll be flying Biz and I'm led to believe the air is much cleaner in that part of the plane plus no riff-raff coughing and spluttering all over them.

They've both eaten ice-cream before so know what to expect.

I think that Thai folk being exposed to the virus in the UK, which is going down hill at the mo, was what was meant........I tend to agree..

My Thai wife has been to the UK 15 times and the main  problem has been with Emirates requiring her to have a return ticket. Immigration UK does not require you to have a return ticket, however on a first visit they may ask questions.

It's cheaper to have a return than 2 singles so why not by a flexible return where you can change the travel date? And use an airline that is offering the re-patriated flights.

Final advice, my wife only use to visit April-October.  Buy her an electric blanket, she will need it.

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

My only caveat is that things could change at any time.

I'm interested in this as i am about to return to Thailand, the Eva AIR website shows no flights avaiable this year, i phoned their headquarters on Monday and they said they were not flying passengers from heathrow to bangkok at the moment, i did find flights from heathrow direct to Tapei, i know the Thai london embassy states that more airlines can fly, put can only see emirates and Qatar have flights you can book is it possible this is a flight booked a while ago?   

You can certainly buy tickets on Thai, EVA, Lufthansa, Qatar, Emirates and Etihad to get to the UK. The UK embassy now issues COEs for all flights but as has been stated state quarantine is for Thai flights only. To board an Emirates or Etihad flight you need a COVID-19 tests for each direction. Qatar is currently also flying to Gatwick and Edinburgh. The frequencies of these flights varies for each airline. There is also the caveat that the current situation can easily change especially 2/3 months down the line. I believe only EVA is currently offering a cash refund for new flight bookings.

Use the Thai Embassy facebook page for updates https://www.facebook.com/ThaiEmbLondon/ note that posts are usually in Thai.

You can always book say an EVA flight for BKK-LHR and then Thai LHR-BKK and get the SQ.

I should also add that SQ is usually in a good quality hotel but you go where you are put. My wife came out of SQ on Tuesday at the Divalux Resort just around the corner from swampy. She had a balcony but the food wasn't that good. Another advantage of SQ is that they will return you back to your home province when your quarantine has finished. It can be quite a long journey depending on where people are returning to.  To get back to Buriram the bus went via Chon Buri, Chachoensao, Sa Kaeo and then after Buriram it went to Surin and finally Ubon . You are dropped of at the town hall of the provincial capital and there were food and toilet stops.

2 hours ago, tso310 said:

You can certainly buy tickets on Thai, EVA, Lufthansa, Qatar, Emirates and Etihad to get to the UK. The UK embassy now issues COEs for all flights but as has been stated state quarantine is for Thai flights only. To board an Emirates or Etihad flight you need a COVID-19 tests for each direction. Qatar is currently also flying to Gatwick and Edinburgh. The frequencies of these flights varies for each airline. There is also the caveat that the current situation can easily change especially 2/3 months down the line. I believe only EVA is currently offering a cash refund for new flight bookings.

Use the Thai Embassy facebook page for updates https://www.facebook.com/ThaiEmbLondon/ note that posts are usually in Thai.

You can always book say an EVA flight for BKK-LHR and then Thai LHR-BKK and get the SQ.

I've booked them on BA (I'll hose them down when they get here)

Do they need any Covid checks before flying ? I cant see anything on the BA website

42 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I've booked them on BA (I'll hose them down when they get here)

Do they need any Covid checks before flying ? I cant see anything on the BA website

Nothing needed but remember to register them on the UK gov site 48 hours before they leave Thailand. Surprised BA haven't mentioned this, other airlines do. https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

As you are probably aware no quarantine is needed from flights originating from Thailand. I am missing the warmth of Thailand as we usually winter in our house in Thailand.

59 minutes ago, tso310 said:

As you are probably aware no quarantine is needed from flights originating from Thailand.

Has Thailand been added to the UK's 'green' list then? I recall there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum maybe 3 months ago when The UK government started that malarkey.

59 minutes ago, tso310 said:

Nothing needed but remember to register them on the UK gov site 48 hours before they leave Thailand. Surprised BA haven't mentioned this, other airlines do. https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

As you are probably aware no quarantine is needed from flights originating from Thailand. I am missing the warmth of Thailand as we usually winter in our house in Thailand.

FWIW, BA does mention it when booking....

image.png.0ed6a7a8c5c0bd9d6223be6a26a0ed12.png

....fingers crossed they will actually be flying by next month.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Has Thailand been added to the UK's 'green' list then? I recall there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum maybe 3 months ago when The UK government started that malarkey.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

For only direct flights and Lufthansa. As UAE and Qatar are not on the list you should self isolate.

5 hours ago, tso310 said:

Thanks. Yes I would much rather be there for the winter but alas.....

13 hours ago, tso310 said:
15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

For only direct flights and Lufthansa. As UAE and Qatar are not on the list you should self isolate.

Thanks for that. I guess the once-a-week (maybe) THAI would be the only non-stop in addition to BA.

Singapore is on the approved country list so a non-stop from there should be quarantine free?

I wonder why Lufthansa gets a waiver but KLM doesn't? Looking at their flight options to the UK, Frankfurt and Munich could be transit airports whereas KLM would be all via Amsterdam.

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

My wife lived in the UK for seven years ,i can always remember when she arrived it was foggy and cold and raining ,the look on her face was priceless. but eventually she loved the climate both summer and winter and our son grew up with it .

My son first travelled to UK when he was about six years old. I believe it was April but, being an early arrival, it was quite chilly outside the terminal building, First comment from him was ' wow, they have air conditioning outside in the UK'.:biggrin:

I guess the once-a-week (maybe) THAI would be the only non-stop in addition to BA.

And EVA every Sunday.

I wonder why Lufthansa gets a waiver but KLM doesn't?

Germany is on the no-isolation list, the Netherlands isn't.

11 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

According to their website, the first available date for a direct flight is in January, though that could have meant earlier flights have been sold out.

Mine showing every Sunday, one way.  If you try to book a return the first available date is indeed 1 January 2021.

image.png.083a12aa7c617b9b1777410d1fae75cb.png

Archived