Shocking conditions and animal abuse at Phnom Penh Safari

geovalin

A recent visit by Khmer Times to the Phnom Penh Safari park, located to the north of the city, has uncovered shocking conditions and abuse. Khmer Times observed animals not being cared for properly. The water kept for them to drink is filthy and covered with moss. The tigers and other animals look weak. There were animal shows for the visitor’s entertainment with the animals being mistreated in order to get them to perform tasks.

During crocodile shows, the animals are manhandled, climbed upon by the handlers and have their mouths forcibly pulled wide open. They are dragged out of the water by pulling at their tails. The crocodiles are regularly kicked, poked and hit by the handlers and have sores all over them and fungal infections. Small crocodiles were being used for visitor handling and as ‘props’ for souvenir photographs. They had their mouths taped tightly shut in an attempt to make them safer to handle.

Phnom-Penh-safari-2.jpg Crocodiles dragged by their tails as part of the amusement. YouTube

Orangutans dressed in clothes have been trained to perform human activities, such as boxing, riding bicycles and hula-hooping. One orangutan was made to stand on a podium and pull his trousers down. They were also made to pose for photos with visitors for a fee. A macaque monkey with a metal collar around its neck and attached to rope lead was wearing a child’s dress, and was being used for photo opportunities with visitors.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50770384/shocking-conditions-and-animal-abuse-at-phnom-penh-safari/

• Haha 1

I have been to the Phnom Penh Safari twice and have seen all these shows.  I didn't see any abuse.  These animals are trained and are rewarded when they perform.  I saw the handlers constantly giving treats to the animals as they performed their tricks as they were trained to do.  They did not beat them or whip them, instead the animals were rewarded. 

Are you being abused when required to write a story and then compensated for the story?  Are you being abused if you are fired for not writing or for writing a poor story?

I thought all the animals, including the tigers, looked healthy and were given ample space to live in.  The water that surrounds their habitat is the same as their natural living conditions.  I also saw containers of clean water in all the living areas.

This is fake news and an attempt to create controversy where none exists.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JimMagee said:

I have been to the Phnom Penh Safari twice and have seen all these shows.  I didn't see any abuse.  These animals are trained and are rewarded when they perform.  I saw the handlers constantly giving treats to the animals as they performed their tricks as they were trained to do.  They did not beat them or whip them, instead the animals were rewarded. 

Are you being abused when required to write a story and then compensated for the story?  Are you being abused if you are fired for not writing or for writing a poor story?

I thought all the animals, including the tigers, looked healthy and were given ample space to live in.  The water that surrounds their habitat is the same as their natural living conditions.  I also saw containers of clean water in all the living areas.

This is fake news and an attempt to create controversy where none exists.

Buy new eyes or maybe something that is above that can help to think...