Thai student praised for clearing traffic for ambulance - but why should this be necessary?

webfact

Thai student praised for clearing traffic for ambulance - but why should this be necessary?

8pm.jpg

video screenshot

Earlier in the week netizens were irate after a trucker refused to get out of the way of an ambulance that was carrying an elderly and sick man in Nakhon Sawan.

Now online people were full of praise after a university student was filmed on an ambulance crew's dash cam directing traffic to make a path. 

The young lady ran into the road "wai-ing" drivers to get them to pull across.

Thai Rath called her kind hearted and wonderful in a video accompanied by sentimental music. 

But while many netizens were lavishing praise others were posing a pertinent question or two.

Why weren't these arrogant drivers, on hearing a siren, trying to get out of the way in the first place?

Why were the uni lady's efforts even necessary?

The widely shared and commented upon incident occurred on Jaran Sanitwong Road in Bangkok and was posted on Facebook by the ambulance staff. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-07

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-07

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I don't think thats even a point ... if you don't let an ambulance pass, you are a d!ck

Where you move thats the point coz nobody here believe its emergency! You have car's all around you and nobody don't move!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Sad 6

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Shame on you making a post like that, hopefully you never need the services of an ambulance crew.

I am only able to make this post, because all traffic moved out of the way of the ambulance i was in 7 years ago.

Yep, we do read some strange posts at times ...These folk probably jump red lights too, because the locals dooooo....????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

Because the government, who could end that stupidity, refuses to pass and enforce laws that would make every driver on the road know that if they block an ambulance they go to jail for a long enough stretch as to make the rest of the idiots on the road notice and stop the nonsense.

But - let the slaughter and self-centeredness continue.  TIT.  I've come to the conclusion that the government considers this population control and chooses not to clean up the roads.  Why else do they not act?

I normally don't endorse stringent, freedom stealing laws, but why doesn't Thailand pass and enforce such laws? It would make the authorities a good deal of money and make the roads safer at the same time. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Complaints hit bit time and the then police chief ordered that these cars remove the flashing lights and sirens. It took some tome to get most of these car owners to remove the lights/sirens,

I was living in Bangkok 30 years ago, must have missed these, traffic was so bad back then, they had barely started building roads, that lights and horns made no difference. The "body snatchers" used to try muscle their way through, as they were the predecessor to the ambulance which has now become common, but they never got far fast, they used to position themselves every hundred yards or so down small soi's off the main roads prior to rush hour, ready to "snatch"! (gold, jewellery, watches, wallets, dead or alive bodies, they took it all!) ????

• Like 1

They once considered the "Give way to the Right rule" at intersections but concluded everyone is always right in Thailand so it would make no difference.  With that sort of mentality it's any wonder there is no law on the books re: give way to ambulance with siren and lights on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a related issue of "emergency vehicles" with lights and sirens activated. The police vans here in Pattaya-ville have lately been flying down the roads, primarily on Thappraya Road, with lights and sirens going, ultimately heading the the Pattaya Municipal Court on that road.

Not just a once off mind you. One such truck/van sat two cars behind me at the fly-over Junction of 2nd Road to Thappraya Road. Finally people ahead pulled aside, and it continued on to the court, turning off the light show as it approached the complex.

Small wonder that some ignore the cretins.

• Like 1