Foreigners Who Die Without a Thai Will Could Have Assets Passed onto the Government

ASEAN NOW Sales

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I hope so...hope the same for mine also. This can not be applicable for married couples surely ? The only bank account I have in my own name is the one I use for Immigration, because they insist on it that way.

You would think that marriage would trump all of it but it is not hard to make a will,

On 10/7/2020 at 7:07 PM, cjinchiangrai said:

You would think that marriage would trump all of it but it is not hard to make a will,

In general terms probably valid, but everybody has their own circumstances. Perhaps still married but in a very unhappy marriage, better for the farang to make a will to ensure the proceeds are distributed as per fangs wishes.  

My Thai son has a will, prepared by a trusted knowledgeable lawyer, everything left equally to his kids and this is all agreed by his wife. Kids get everything but responsible to ensure their mother has a roof over her head and is well supported in kind and emotionally until her passing.

Why, son doesn't trust his wife's older brother and sister (for good specific reasons), and she's frightened of them, frightened if she gets everything/anything they will seriously pressure her to give half or whatever to them. They have already, several times and in front of my son said that when my son dies they will sell the family house and land and they will keep the proceeds.

So sons' wife not a recipient at all.  She likes this set-up. All checked carefully, totally legal. 

Sons' will also states (and his wife agreed), before/after his death nobody (except his wife and kids) is to ever have a copy of his will, and no reading of the will. All aimed at keeping the in-laws well away from the situation.

Plenty of dysfunctional/grabbing families in every country.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

A friend had a Will, and to avoid the money grabbing family accessing most of his money, he made provision for the money to be drip-fed to the widow over a 4 year period. Did not work. The family, realising they woud get nothing, took control from the widow, and employed a lawyer, stating there was no Will. The widow had all the money within 2 months, but a month later it was all gone, as was her house!

Thx for mentioning the drip-fed method. Is it something you can put into the Will? 

Confused here, so for clarity, are they saying that a will made out in the UK is not valid? If so what is the significant difference of a 'Thai' will. My main concern is whether to have my estate completed by UK lawyers whom I believe would be more trustworthy ( think large organisation) but my Thai wife would not be comfortable communicating with. Or, Thai lawyers who would drag the proceedings out and pocket a large amount of any potential assets.

I did have a plan to get my savings down to 50 baht before I departed, but c-19 has restricted the use of my travel budget.

19 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

More nonsense from someone........a sales pitch for the Swede's lawyer wife!

The Thai laws re intestacy are perfectly clear. A Thai Will  ensures who will get the assets in Thailand (most usually the wife), but without a Will, assets will be distributed once the equivalent of Thai probate has been obtained.

Yes, And I seem to remember that Thai law specifies exactly how the estate is divided when there is no will. If I am correct and somebody knows how it is divided I would like to hear

42 minutes ago, nickcar said:

Yes, And I seem to remember that Thai law specifies exactly how the estate is divided when there is no will. If I am correct and somebody knows how it is divided I would like to hear

Yes, There is specific Thai law as to the split if the husband (Thai or farang) dies without making a will.

it's all in the Thai Commercial Code, English and Thai versions at the start of ThaiVisa forums.

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

The family, realising they woud get nothing, took control from the widow, and employed a lawyer, stating there was no Will. The widow had all the money within 2 months, but a month later it was all gone, as was her house!

It might be more accurate to say they took control of the widow then?......  Sadly I expect many do not have the will to resist family pressure and this happens a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Mountain said:

Thx for mentioning the drip-fed method. Is it something you can put into the Will? 

Q for a lawyer, might work better if the money was coming from an overseas source or a trust. If it was simply in a Thai bank account, I expect that account would be transferred as part of probate.

• Thanks 1

Condos, homes, cars motorbikes, significant bank accounts.  I know several ex-pats with these assets and no will.  What an irresponsible way to leave a pile of S for family and loved ones.

Figure it out we are all going to die, so deal with it now.

• Like 1