Perfectly legal but can't return: Retiree expat voices frustrations to Thaivisa

webfact

19 minutes ago, polpott said:

First, I'm effectively stuck in Thailand as, if I leave I can't return for possibly a year, which would be totally unacceptable for me.

Which means that you feel better taking the chance dying and not being able to see your family that way.

So, them that is acceptable for you. Have you asked your family if they feel the same?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

In your opinion, which no one values.

Yes, and you are not stuck. You can clear up your martial status in the UK as well as there is treatments in Thailand for your presumed condition.

The only thing is that you probably not have insurance and can´t pay the cost for it.

If it´s so bad. Then go home and get your treatment so that you can enjoy life and your family can enjoy the same together with you. Good Luck!

Edited by Matzzon
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Which means that you feel better taking the chance dying and not being able to see your family that way.

So, them that is acceptable for you. Have you asked your family if they feel the same?

Yes, I've talked to my family both here and in the UK. They understand my stance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Yes, I've talked to my family both here and in the UK. They understand my stance.

Ok, good for you then. Let´s just hope Thailand open the borders before you realize your mistake. I wouldn´t hold my breath, though.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

for people to understand my situation

10 minutes ago, polpott said:

The details of my medical condition and the details of my marital status in the UK have no real bearing on my situation. I have revealed enough for people to understand my situation, any more information would only be useful to posters who are extremely nosey or trolls trying to unpick my story. I don't pander to either of those groups of posters.

Yes, your situation is thus identical to many of us. 

It's about choices, and often

the financial aspect related to it. 

I made the choice to not going to see my son and 3 granchildren, with the high risk to not been able to come back here in Thailand. 

Being 72 there is a possibility I will never see them again. 

They, with 5, is financially out of the question to come to visit me. 

I, paying for 5, is not in my possibilities. 

• Like 2

Posts and replies in violation of the following forum rules have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They were in complete denial about the stupidity of their own actions on here shortly after the lockdown commenced. Blaming everyone except themselves for their own bad decisions.

It was obvious that a lockdown could happen as early as end of Feb so anyone travelling subsequent to that period took a massive risk.

Well, it's not really your home is it? Or are you still in denial about your status here? 

Some people will never learn I guess.

I totally agree with the first part of your post, but I totally disagree with the second part! Home is wherever one feels like it is and it’s so not about the “status”!

I love Thailand! I used to live there for ten years and I consider it as much my home as my native country!

Edited by pacovl46

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Oh yeah right marry your way out of trouble. That's the dummest thing I heard. He will end up running back to the UK eventually just to get away..????????????

Well so many thai ladies marry their way into a better life (or perceived better life)

Should work both ways

Very frustrating for the OP and countless other's but the writing was on the wall at that time. Extremely tough for those that went home for family bereavements yet weren't allowed to attend a funeral service due to restricted attendee number's etc. The main point I take is the complaint revolves around perceived discrimination. Taking the complaint up with a lawyer is the only way to go, talking to the media anonymously makes for a good read but that's all it is really and a great subject for vox opinion's on forums such as this. I don't buy the "negative" viewpoints as trolling, mostly realistic and occasionally light hearted. I could speculate that maybe the decision to exclude retiree extension holders might be because of limited ASQ number's and possibly queue jumping those that are married who are still in the line and are seen of more as a priority. Horrible situation to be in, but we're living in tough times, sadly.

Edited by watso63
Bad grammar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

"I cannot believe they are now only letting non-OA (or O X)visa holders in.

and we can't believe we have to have 400/40 health insurance that you don't need given identical requirements for extension

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

From the get-go, should have allowed any and all valid 1+ year visa/extension holders to return at any time. Marriage, Elite, Work, Business, Education, Retirement, etc.

Growing up and making a bad choice here and there, realizing what the better choice was after looking back, my mom called these the "Shoulda, Coulda, Wouldas". :wai:

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, beavenlen said:

maybe some of you guy's can't accept that this is the 21st century,why should a piece of paper be needed to live with his spouce, most of the world reckonizes civil marriage so don't knock anybody down for this thing.

it's not his spouse, it's his live-in gf

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Personally I think that rubbish. I was at Saigon airport March 16 on return to BKK.

With few guys that live/work in Singapore.

All the afternoon flights were cancelled. Could not believe it. 

I thought I would be still returning to Vietnam couple weeks later. 

On the 19th NZ Shut all borders. My thinking .."that's bit fast". Next day 20 match Au did the same. Think Thai was one of the last March 26.

Very easy in hindsight. Even then I'm thinking that this will last month or 2.

Agree it's certainly a bit of bad luck (first worldwide viral pandemic in all our lifetimes) buy you can't blame Thailand, or any other country, for taking steps to protect themselves from the spread of the virus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, agoodpunt said:

Live in pattaya for 10 year got out in march need to get back have comitments and property

Now neg comments are infintile smug and jealous

Pattaya is full of lying, stupid, I am ex SAS and unbelievable makeup story tellers, with many ones I know who cant leave including those with prison tats

when you tell them that you are going on a trip to home country u know they cant afford or CANT

those here who saw a longterm lockdown can fit straight in with the above.

love the scene in pattaya married & divorced many nights and mid afternoon live well spend freely

Its mad they can shutdown there biggest employer think there is another agenda.

Hope something will give, glad it wont be any of the "you left ur fault" discision as they really dont matter most probably cheap charlies hanging out in the DD

"Bet there is slim pickings for the ballon 

There's little "scene" in Pattaya at the moment so you're not missing much.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

42 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I somehow knew it was a brit that the story was about before even opening it. Sorry to break it to you guys but the empire is dead and you do NOT qualify for "better-than-everyone-else" status. 

His gf is back here with his money, his car and his house and without him. I'm pretty sure she's not suffering as much as claimed. :wai:

She's loving life, all the trappings and is free to do as she pleases and has most likely moved her Thai husband in as well.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Sounds like BS to me but without knowing what your medical issue is I'll have to believe you I guess.

Good luck with it all and hope you get treatment before you die.

Free treatment not available in Thailand.