Cycling Around Hang Dong

Stubby

Hi, folks.

I moved to Hang Dong from Mae Hia in February this year. I love cycling during the cooler winter months, and Mae Hia is a just a spit from them quiet country roads. It's a fair ride to reach the same areas from where I am now, but I'll go the extra miles if I need to. 

I haven't explored HD properly yet, but from what I can see, there's the busy HD road on one side and the quieter Canal road on the other.

If any keen cyclists in the area know of some nice cycling routes around these 'ear parts, please let me know ????

Thank you in advance.

Stubby 

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

I can't tell you which routes exactly they take because I'm not a cyclist, but I've seen many cyclists in this area, as well as on the other side of the river: https://goo.gl/maps/RChuucWXppPXMwzd6

Thanks for the map, Jack. There is a lot of cyclist in CM, and most are a friendly bunch when it comes to sharing routes. I'm sure many of them read the local forum here. It appears there's not much to explore around HD, but I'll know more when I venture out in a week or two. I'll also ask anyone I see cycling in the area where they're heading.

I'll probably have to take a chance with the big roads and head out to my old territory. The extra miles won't do me any harm, providing I'm not mowed down en route lol ???? It's not really a laughing matter, though , but hey, life is full of risks ????

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

There are some nice quiet roads between Ob Khan road & Samoeng road.  Best to just look on google maps to plan a route.  Or look on Strava for "segments" in your area, then click on the rides done by others that included those segments.

Thanks for that, Tetley. I get easily confused with Google maps (it's a dim thing), but Strava sounds interesting. I'll download it now and take a look ????

I live in HD & ride every night, but just around the Moo Baan....The few times I've ventured out on the surrounding network of streets I've found the drivers to be shaving it real close - buzzing the tower as it were....One the narrow streets drivers drive cars like mc's clipping the corners on both sides of the road with distain for cycles of any sort....Even on the cut across canal road relying on other drivers skills, watching them daily, keeps me off the road....The times I've tried it felt too close for comfort....Any type of distraction on either's part & boom....

I just hit 5 neighborhoods in our Moo Baan once or twice every night....Only good for 40-50 minutes but it beats being dead....Rung Arroon....

I have strong front & rear lights and use them as twilight hits....

Even with street lights some of the people out riding/walking are damn near invisible....

We're looking at houses now & bike safety/area will be part of the determination....

Edited by pgrahmm

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

I live in HD & ride every night, but just around the Moo Baan....The few times I've ventured out on the surrounding network of streets I've found the drivers to be shaving it real close - buzzing the tower as it were....One the narrow streets drivers drive cars like mc's clipping the corners on both sides of the road with distain for cycles of any sort....Even on the cut across canal road relying on other drivers skills, watching them daily, keeps me off the road....

I just hit 5 neighborhoods in our Moo Baan once or twice every night....Only good for 40-50 minutes but it beats being dead....Rung Arroon....

I have strong front & rear lights and use them as twilight hits....

Even with street lights some of the people out riding/walking are damn near invisible....

We're looking at houses now & bike safety/area will be part of the determination....

Thanks, pgrahmm. I used to live in Serene Lake, Mae Hia. It has a very pleasant and safe road around the water (4km I think). But I still like to get into the country lanes, so I'll be taking my chances. I know what you mean, though, every day's a bonus on that there tarmac.  

I'll try to avoid the Hang Dong Road as it seems like the most dangerous stretch in all of Chaing Mai.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Thanks for that, Tetley. I get easily confused with Google maps (it's a dim thing), but Strava sounds interesting. I'll download it now and take a look ????

Best to use their website on a pc for searching for rides on Strava.  The app is more for recording your ride.

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Best to use their website on a pc for searching for rides on Strava.  The app is more for recording your ride.

Okee doke, thank you ????

1 hour ago, CobraSnakeNecktie said:

There is cut thru now paved behind Doi Kam temple.. Take that from Night Safari area to Samoeng road and many choices from there.

I'm familiar with all the routes around Doi Kam, CNSNT ???? That's my old cycling territory, but it's quite a ride just to get there now, from Hang Dong. That's why I was looking for something a little more local  ????

Edited by Stubby

8 hours ago, Stubby said:

I'm familiar with all the routes around Doi Kam, CNSNT ???? That's my old cycling territory, but it's quite a ride just to get there now, from Hang Dong. That's why I was looking for something a little more local  ????

Mae Hia is pretty much next door to Hang Dong.  How far are you planning to ride?  It might help people suggest rides for you.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Mae Hia is pretty much next door to Hang Dong.  How far are you planning to ride?  It might help people suggest rides for you.

You're right, it's not far as the crow flies. I was looking for something closer to avoid the 8km round trip along Canal Road to get to the Samoeng turnoff.  It might be unavoidable, so I'll probably just have to grin and bear it. At least Canal Rd is quieter than Hang Dong Rd.