Mae Hong Son named Thailand’s dengue hotspot as cases quadruple

webfact

Mae Hong Son named Thailand’s dengue hotspot as cases quadruple

By The Nation

800_70468fb63dd2251.jpg?v=1602082717

Mae Hong Son tops Thailand’s rankings for dengue cases this year, with 1,396 infections and one death up to October 5 (Monday).

The infection rate of the mosquito-borne disease in the northern province is 499.09 per 100,000 people, Dr Supachai Boon-Amphan, a Mae Hong Son health chief, said on Wednesday.

The highest number of cases was in the 10-14 age group, followed by the group aged 15-24. Most of those infected were students and farmers. Mae Sariang is the worst-affected district with 863 cases.

Dengue fever cases in Mae Hong Son this year have more than quadrupled (4.28 times) compared to last year.

Health officials have blamed the rise on heavy monsoon rains and waterlogged conditions that are ideal breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry the disease.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395786

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-08

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Health officials have blamed the rise on heavy monsoon rains and waterlogged conditions that are ideal breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry the disease.

An interesting take, lets explore this a little.

When there's a new cluster of Dengue, where does it actually come from?

Are the mosquitos born with Dengue after 'the rains' ? Do they spread it between each other?

There's a lot of information on this subject and I believe it's not well understood by most people.....not yet anyway...we can change this...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's a lot of information on this subject and I believe it's not well understood by most people.....not yet anyway...we can change this...

Are there not any dengue experts in Thailand, they got one for everything else?

Edited by hotchilli
  • Haha 2

Always look at the bright side of life: Dengue-fever might protect you against Covid-19, and Calmette-vaccine, also know as BCG-vaccine, might protect you against Dengue-fever...????

Please note, that us matured expats that got the Calmette-vaccine as children, are no longer covered by  it, as it only has an effect for up to about 20 years. I talk from awful experience, I've tried the Dengue-fever "cure", and I will NOT recommend it...:whistling:

Most people who get Dengue are asymptomatic, around 84% of people have no noticeable symptoms at all based on what I've read.

Mosquitos catch it from people, regardless of whether they have symptoms or not.

Mosquitos are merely the way it spreads between different people.

With Dengue humans are the primary reservoir for the disease.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:13 AM, webfact said:

Oh my, stating the bleeding obvious.

What they don't say is that sod all is done to prevent mossies breeding. During my year in Chiang Mai they fogged the public areas ONCE- it has to be done frequently to work.

Singapore had penalties for leaving containers with water for mossies to breed in, Thailand has ...........................

Do nothing then complain when the inevitable happens.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:50 PM, khunPer said:

Always look at the bright side of life: Dengue-fever might protect you against Covid-19, and Calmette-vaccine, also know as BCG-vaccine, might protect you against Dengue-fever...????

Please note, that us matured expats that got the Calmette-vaccine as children, are no longer covered by  it, as it only has an effect for up to about 20 years. I talk from awful experience, I've tried the Dengue-fever "cure", and I will NOT recommend it...:whistling:

I've had 3 strains of Dengue. Nothing fun about them.

• Sad 1