‘Golden week’ ghost town: Thailand’s Pattaya party zone struggles with no Chinese tourists

webfact

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Considering you sell "bird nest soup" & shark-fin soup" that's not something i'd boast about.

In fact I think it's appalling... IMHO

Bird's Nest can now be farmed, a friend has just set one up in Ranong, the nests are not taken until chicks have fledged safely. They build special cave swift houses to provide safe alternative to traditional caves. Sharks fin on the other hand is deplorable

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

Who cares Thai locals don’t make one baht from Chinese Tours 

Yes , the tour bus drivers , tour bus cleaners and mechanics , the guides , the ticket sellers , the receptionists at every tourist site , the fruit sellers , the 7/11 staff and delivery men to them , the waiters and waitresses of restaurants mentioned in the OP , the house keepers ,  the maids , pool attendants and security men  etc , etc .... none of them get paid and they therefore get not ONE baht from Chinese Tourism .... jesus.

7 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Yes , the tour bus drivers , tour bus cleaners and mechanics , the guides , the ticket sellers , the receptionists at every tourist site , the fruit sellers , the 7/11 staff and delivery men to them , the waiters and waitresses of restaurants mentioned in the OP , the house keepers ,  the maids , pool attendants and security men  etc , etc .... none of them get paid and they therefore get not ONE baht from Chinese Tourism .... jesus.

a list of businesses and people who will financially suffer if I quit drinking...

1)the local liquor store

2)The 19 yo kid who works there

3)the truck driver who delivers the liquor

4)the gas station that sells gas to the delivery truck

5)the mechanic who fixes the truck

6)the company that makes the liquor

7)company that supplies the bottles

8)the company that makes the nuts

9)the body shop-after I crash my car driving drunk

10)the doctor who will try to save me

11)the funeral home

12)the flower shop

13)the priest

14)the coffin maker

Edited by pattayadude
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

All from Burma mate....

On 10/8/2020 at 8:37 AM, sweatalot said:

Golden week?  Chinese?

Don't forget Pattaya had the golden year - many years when Farang used to come

and the downfall started with the plan to make it a "family resort" - Covid only gave the death blow

Pattaya is in Asia, isn't it? 

On 10/8/2020 at 7:28 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe it is because even the Chinese who are here are also getting low on funds, and then really the 2,000 baht for a bowl of soup could feed the family for a single week.  Many people do not have money to just burn, and with uncertain economic times ahead many are either fattening there wallets with the extra they may have or using it to assist others who are in need.  Guess the people whose lives depend on tourism do not understand why someone who would normally be a big spender is not spending now if they are here.  To understand the big picture they just need to look inward at there own situation and it might make them realize that Thailand is not the hub of the universe and people do not flock to there restaurant for an over priced bowl of soup. 

Wait until whole China is vaccinated and they're supplying those yellow WHO vaccination cards. 

Of course every Chinese must collect his (or her) medical points. 

And there's lots of rich Bangkokians with Chinese migration background around these Buddhist temples on Royal Cliff eg. They want to escape the bad air of Bangkok, and they can come by train now. 

On 10/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, BigStar said:

Exactly, as noted above. Why doesn't somebody tell them that they've just been imagining they made a lot of money from Chinese? Do your part, man.

Well, they are selling a product that is banned in many countries.

I wonder how well they would do just selling fried rice.  ????  

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Well, they are selling a product that is banned in many countries.

I wonder how well they would do just selling fried rice.  ????  

"Them" refers to the all those referenced in the OP and in the article, not just one resto. The post I responded to also said, "locals," in general. Duh.

Edited by BigStar

A couple of posts have been removed:

25) No public discussion is allowed with regard to other forum members, as well as to advertisements or sponsors, or methods of blocking advertisements.