Model hobby shop in Pattaya

USNret

Hi. I live in Hua Hin but will be in Pattaya next week. I would like to find a hobby shop that sells scale model kits (unassembled) for military planes & ships. There is nothing like this in HH so I'd love to stock up if I can.  I saw a discussion in this forum from many years ago about it, but hoping there is updated information about this.  Thank you

There appears to be an airfix distributor in Bangkok per this website:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/stockists/asia/?q=&postcode=&country=Thailand&brand=airfix&distributors=&search=

Nothing noted in Pattaya. Hobby Pro, in Terminal 21 in Pattaya, looked promising but a video link indicates it only has drones / helicopters and RC cars and the like. 

• Like 1

there is a good one in Pattaya.

If you walk out the entrance of walking street and turn right, then when you come to the lights turn right again, it's about 100m up there on the right ( opposite where all the Baht buses park ).

They have ( or used to ) RC cars / boats / planes etc and a selection of the models you talk of.

Hope they have what you're looking for.

• Like 1

When I built drones a few years ago I had a look in the Bangkok shops. What they had was mostly outdated.

I ordered everything online mostly from Hobbyking and Banggood.

I don't know how the shipping from China is these days - I hope better than when Covid started.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

If you walk out the entrance of walking street and turn right, then when you come to the lights turn right again, it's about 100m up there on the right ( opposite where all the Baht buses park ).

They have ( or used to ) RC cars / boats / planes etc and a selection of the models you talk of.

@HashBrownHarry- Right around here?  I'm at Bangkok Hospital right now and can head to this store around 10:00 today.  As I said, I'm not from around here so I'm pretty lost with navigation, but this is what I got from your instructions.  I can head here after my medical appt.  Leaving Pattaya tomorrow back to our little backwater burgh (Hua Hin) so this is kinda my one chance at shopping. 

model shop.jpg

10 minutes ago, USNret said:

@HashBrownHarry- Right around here?  I'm at Bangkok Hospital right now and can head to this store around 10:00 today.  As I said, I'm not from around here so I'm pretty lost with navigation, but this is what I got from your instructions.  I can head here after my medical appt.  Leaving Pattaya tomorrow back to our little backwater burgh (Hua Hin) so this is kinda my one chance at shopping. 

model shop.jpg

Yip, that's it.

The black car is right in front of it.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Yep was a good shop if still there. 

There was another couple of places. One near the model airplane airfield. English guy got a shop under his house (a few years ago).

Also Tapprasit Rd. There was a shop in the market opposite the big Chinese show place. 

Banggers had a great one just down from Marbonklong department store on the other side of the road. Mainly model plane kits if I remember. Buy a kit then waddle along for a happy ending ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

Yep was a good shop if still there. 

There was another couple of places. One near the model airplane airfield. English guy got a shop under his house (a few years ago).

Also Tapprasit Rd. There was a shop in the market opposite the big Chinese show place. 

Banggers had a great one just down from Marbonklong department store on the other side of the road. Mainly model plane kits if I remember. Buy a kit then waddle along for a happy ending ????

I used to get all my RC spares at the one in Pattaya when i was into that.

It can become a very expensive hobby tho....

Update for @HashBrownHarry - Near as I could tell, the place you mentioned near Walking Street is gone.  I looked all up & down that area; lots of stores closed, apparently permanently.  

I will have to turn to Plan G, after A-F have not worked out. I'll check out the FB group mentioned above.

19 minutes ago, USNret said:

Update for @HashBrownHarry - Near as I could tell, the place you mentioned near Walking Street is gone.  I looked all up & down that area; lots of stores closed, apparently permanently.  

I will have to turn to Plan G, after A-F have not worked out. I'll check out the FB group mentioned above.

wow - that's a pitty.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 1:18 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

I've been in that one and it was all RC stuff. So unless it's changed it's not what the OP wants. He wants Tamiya, Airfix etc.

Someone mentioned Modelworld on FB; that looks pretty good and prices seem decent (I saw much higher prices on Lazada). I am new to model-making and would have enjoyed browsing through a physical shop rather than online.  It also makes it easier to pick up the supplies I need: Craft knives, glue, paint, etc.  Alas, I will learn to do this remotely. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 5:01 PM, USNret said:

It never re-opened after the lockdown, a lot on that stretch didn't including 7/11s.

No one much walked around there except indians & arabs or persians who are all gone.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 10:19 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

There used to be an excellent one in Chiang Mai. If still open they may do mail order.

Is that the shop located south, of town. Drive south on the Hang Dong HWY, take a right (west) at the ring road junction?! On the left side of road.

Wins, or something like that?! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Is that the shop located south, of town. Drive south on the Hang Dong HWY, take a right (west) at the ring road junction?! On the left side of road.

Wins, or something like that?! 

Yes. I walked from the Hang Don Road and it took about half an hour as some way off. Not well signed though and in a block of shop houses.

http://www.winnerhobby.co.th/

Since we have all these modelers in one conversation now, I have a related question... Is there a market for assembled models?  Someone said there is a shop (a booth, actually) in Hua Hin that sells models, but they are already assembled. Would one pay more for an assembled model, or less?  In the sense that classic toys & action figures are worth more if they have never been opened, but perhaps it's the opposite with models since someone expended all that labor to construct it.

The fact of the matter is... I would enjoy building models, but I have no desire to OWN them.  Once they are built, I can let them go with no remorse.  This suits me fine since good models are relatively expensive to buy in Thailand, but I could recoup most or all of the cost by selling it assembled and then buying another.  Do people do this?  

BTW, I'm coming back to Pattaya in December so I'll have another chance to look for some of the other shops that have been mentioned. 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen completed models being sold. However, I do not keep my eye open for them.

A year ago I was gifted three Tamiya kits from a friend leaving Thailand. Just sitting around gathering dust. I used to build models, but I have haven’t in donkey’s years. However due to a virus, I find some of my recreational activities, shelved. Lockdown may be over, yet we are in a nationwide quarantine and for some time. I need more hobbies. I did locate ‘Winner Hobby Shop’ here in CM. Better still bought a couple Academy 1/72 scale planes which is about the size of the Revell models I made as a kid. Going to start there, work up to the Tamiya, which are complex. Revell, AMT, Monogram were the companies back when. Nostalgia time.

BTW Amazed to see the air painting gear. I’ll be brush painting.. Hope your modeling goes well.

Edited by LomSak27