Jump to content

Any cons against cathedral [vaulted] ceilings?


Recommended Posts

As a newbie I ask many times the why not? question. This time why not a cathedral ceiling.

 

In my new house in Tak I am considering a cathedral ceiling for all rooms, except

 

  • the guest bedroom, the only room having AC and will be air tight as possible.
  • The ceiling deck of the guest bedroom is strengthened to cater as a storage area.
  • The roof truss will be metal, and lower hardwood beams to support lights and ceiling fans.
  • The house is cross ventilated, i.e. between outer wall and roof deck is an air gap, covered with wire metal mesh and mosquito net to ward off pest and insects, including the infamous gecko. Air inlet thru open windows and doors as well as lower placed air inlet vents, which can be closed on hot days
  • On both gable sides of the house, forced air exhausts thru solar powered DC fans 

 

I am not sure yet about the roofing material [should be light colored and light in kg as possible], foil and insulation material, metal battens with air holes and the interior cladding.

I am also not sure what is the best direction of the ceiling fan [push or pull] as you don't want to spread warmer roof air to the habitable area. My hunch is pull as the floor is colder.

 

These are the pros of a cathedral ceiling:

  • less material used [ceiling and ceiling insulation]
  • easier pest control as no covered attic room
  • leaks and pests are faster and easier to detect and manage
  • with one room covered have an extra usable storage area

 

Can you help me with finding the cons?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have cathedral ceilings in all the upstairs rooms, we also have high Thai-style roofs.

 

The only negative I see is that I have to evict the spiders that take up residence in the high corners coz Madam's long duster isn't long enough when operated by her petite self.

 

The cool air from the A/C stratifies in the lower half so effectively isolating the cool air from the warm (ish, there's ceiling insulation and loft ventilation) ceiling and loft space.

 

There's a reason the central region Thai's built their homes the way they did.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We have cathedral ceilings in all the upstairs rooms, we also have high Thai-style roofs.

 

The only negative I see is that I have to evict the spiders that take up residence in the high corners coz Madam's long duster isn't long enough when operated by her petite self.

 

The cool air from the A/C stratifies in the lower half so effectively isolating the cool air from the warm (ish, there's ceiling insulation and loft ventilation) ceiling and loft space.

 

There's a reason the central region Thai's built their homes the way they did.

 

... nothing a 3metre+ pvc pipe gaffa-taped to the end of the old house vacuum hose couldn't fix, re the spiders...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tifino said:

... nothing a 3metre+ pvc pipe gaffa-taped to the end of the old house vacuum hose couldn't fix, re the spiders...

 

I'd still have to operate it, her petiteness would wave it everywhere and smash all and sundry.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

 

I'd still have to operate it, her petiteness would wave it everywhere and smash all and sundry.

... just don't do whilst she is praying...  (reminds me this morning I was out the back, on my knees vacuuming all the gunk out of stress relief cuts from the expanse of concrete...)

 - she came out screaming (yet her noise was louder than the vacuum!! ) 

 

I vacuum the ceiling for pests myself - only so before she murders them with a smudging cloth 

 

p.s. never be fooled by the innocent Celine look 😄  16403258_1256111244471442_8282006945204849059_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=22TmrYt5AjwAX9zYSlk&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel8-1.fna&oh=828b853f2a91f15f41f45d48d767a7ca&oe=5FA25EA8

Edited by tifino
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4myr said:

Can you help me with finding the cons.

Like said in your doing of what your doing in rooms with ceilings.

Thanks con it you lose space. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, Crossy said:

We have cathedral ceilings in all the upstairs rooms, we also have high Thai-style roofs.

 

The only negative I see is that I have to evict the spiders that take up residence in the high corners coz Madam's long duster isn't long enough when operated by her petite self.

 

The cool air from the A/C stratifies in the lower half so effectively isolating the cool air from the warm (ish, there's ceiling insulation and loft ventilation) ceiling and loft space.

 

There's a reason the central region Thai's built their homes the way they did.

 

Hi have you a pic of your loft ventilation? Or how did you ventalate the loft?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Hi have you a pic of your loft ventilation? Or how did you ventalate the loft?

 

Gable vents at each end, they have mozzie screens on the inside.

 

post-14979-0-08223700-1330855818.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Crossy said:

 

Gable vents at each end, they have mozzie screens on the inside.

 

post-14979-0-08223700-1330855818.jpg

 

Yes, everyone except me has them. I forgot them, was so busy back then. Spose I just wasn't thinking. I was concentrating on insulation and told the guys putting the insulation in to insulate everything. So they took it right out to the facial boards and covered up the air slits in the 1 m overhang and no gable vents.

I've been going to get it fixed for years. 

Not such a big job but getting the right people is the trick. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...