Crackdown on illegal foreign teachers: Heavy fines and deportation for those without work permits

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thai news site Komchadluek reported that there are 11,200 foreigners teaching in Thailand. 

As far as you know..............How many are out there unqualified and unregistered in the myriad of village schools.

• Confused 1

glad i'm not a teacher now.  had two work permits before.   let me tell you how this MIGHT go...

1.  immigration calls BEFORE, and only goes to the front gate.  Who are they checking?  the people in the computer.   the people in the computer have the paperwork, d'uh

2.  school tells the 9034859305894 cheap backpackers to leave school for 1 hour.  nobody knows them, so how to check someone not in the computer

solution:   cameras in every room....have police check every class.  they will see 9354398547 different teachers and can fine everyone 90790980898  zillion baht.  don't worry if this is time intensive, you will make BANK.

i would imagine there are probably 3-4000 "illegal" teachers now.

now...it's not the teachers fault.  i would think less than 100 don't have the right paperwork.  just it's hard to get the Non-B, WP, etc.....soon.

GREAT!!!!   hope teachers have a WP before their first day of teaching.   never seen it before.  

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

Why they call a pinoy foreigner? Pinoy is a pinoy (filipino) and farang is a westerner. Asians are not farangs, period. 

Because Pinocchio is a foreigner. A farang is someone with European appearance or heritage..white.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pottinger said:

This is what I've been missing so far this year - a good, old-fashioned Thai crackdown. Now what about a few more hubs and some more police rushing to the scene....? Some pointing wouldn't go amiss.

and ....... photo opportunities

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

Blimey, I thought teachers were usually given a new contract at the start of each school year. With the borders closed, how could they have acquired a new visa and work permit? This could get messy.

You don't acquire a new visa. An extension is given off of the current visa. For example, I have a multiple O based on marriage. With the borders closed, my options were to get an extension based on marriage or an extension based on employment. It was easier for me to get an extension based on employment, so that is my current status as I no longer wanted to be dependent on the amnesty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

Blimey, I thought teachers were usually given a new contract at the start of each school year. With the borders closed, how could they have acquired a new visa and work permit? This could get messy.

Time that teachers don't accept this anymore and demand a running contract so they can do extension within the country like people with other professions in Thailand.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

criminal background check

Seems they didn't check the American who kicked off in Kho Chang

Its very important to have that checked, there was problems with British paeds before. 

2 hours ago, muratremix said:

Why they call a pinoy foreigner? Pinoy is a pinoy (filipino) and farang is a westerner. Asians are not farangs, period. 

A filipino is  from the Philippines. If he is not Thai, he IS a foreigner. A farang is also a foreigner. a white person, wherever they come from! A Westerner who is black is NOT a farang!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Crackdown on illegal foreign teachers: Heavy fines and deportation for those without work permits

And what about the schools that hire them as cheap labour?

It's easy for the labour minister and education minister to pass the buck, but for years they've hired illegal cheap labour to fill the "English prorgamme slots" so the schools can appear as if staffed properly.

Hundreds if not more schools & Universities are not up to scratch.... employing cheap staff from countries that have English as their second/third language.

Reap what you sow, the whole education system is seriously under staffed and the education ministers who couldn't tell their ar*e from their elbow. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

A filipino is  from the Philippines. If he is not Thai, he IS a foreigner. A farang is also a foreigner. a white person, wherever they come from! A Westerner who is black is NOT a farang!

A Westerner who is black is NOT a farang!

That's called a Blarang.

Just now, connda said:

We know for a fact that they deport those working "illegally" which may be of no fault of their own.  Enough articles have been written supporting that.  However, I've yet to hear of a case where a Thai-owned "teaching agency" is fined.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Perhaps someone could link to an article where the Thai government fined a Thai run businesse or school or agency for hiring teachers and making the newly hired teachers "illegal" by not providing the necessary paperwork for them to legally work, and hit them with a 10,000 to 100,000 THB fine per person.  And if they are not fined in the first place, then there never is a repeat to worry about. 

Because - 500 kg gorilla in the room - most schools hire teachers on a provisional basis and will not supply the paperwork for a proper visa and WP until the "candidate" undergoes a probational period.  Which sucks.  Because if you wish to work here legally, you may get hired and forced to work illegally during your probation which is not the fault of the person who is hired. The person takes the job on good faith.

Thailand: Where making foreign "good-guys" into "bad-guys" is just accepted business practice.  Anyone who has worked within the gristmill of the Thai educational system understands this.

So with that said, if they choose to take a scorched-earth policy in rounding up all the "bad" illegal teachers - then the educational system will be without adequate native English teachers.  And the schools will just turn around and do the same again, but the next time around - where are they going to get qualified (or even unqualified) teachers?  Getting hired on and forced to work illegally as part of a probation scheme for some sub-par salary isn't worth the risk.  I'm a qualified instructor with teaching experience in Thailand and I've refused to work under those conditions. 

It's a problem but one that never gets addressed.  The "problem" is always framed as "more bad foreigners works illegally in good Thailand."  Yeah, of course.  :dry:

Illegal or not....without those filipino teachers, TH would be <deleted> up! That counts as well for the westerners who used to work for a few months on tourism visas in schools. What does TH expect? No quality teacher with studies and a degree will apply for one of those miserable jobs in the public schools, where they pay 15-30K Baht. They are looking for the good paid jobs in the private schools.

• Like 1