Crackdown on illegal foreign teachers: Heavy fines and deportation for those without work permits

webfact

36 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Christ on a bike! Is that all? And you should always use a capital 'I' to denote the first person singular pronoun.

Quite right... I should have! Apologies ????

Is that all? 35K plus housing/visa/insurance + bonuses takes the total to around 40K per month. Again, compare that to a NQT from the UK and it's not that ridiculous considering how much it costs you to live here.

A cost of living comparison between London and Bangkok;

Consumer Prices in London are 52.25% higher than in Bangkok

Consumer Prices Including Rent in London are 93.57% higher than in Bangkok

Rent Prices in London are 199.25% higher than in Bangkok

Restaurant Prices in London are 225.96% higher than in Bangkok

Groceries Prices in London are 13.30% higher than in Bangkok

Why should Thailand pay the same wages (72,000THB p/m) when the cost of living is dramatically lower here?

10 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I am surprised as a teacher that you are not sad about the state of English education in Thai schools. 

Don't know about you but I am sad about the state of English education in UK schools. 

How do so many come out thinking that could of/should of/would of are acceptable? 

How many know that you don't put an apostrophe in a plural?

Or the difference between to and too? 

Do English teachers in the UK think that the standard of literacy is acceptable given the years of compulsory education? 

18 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Let's get back on topic and stop talking about music - fun as it was!

I worked in government schools. One of my classes was so full (56 students) that some were seated on the floor. I've worked in a village school, Bangkok and isaan city schools, including a top 10 government school. The state of Thai education does anger me, which is why i am not defending it, and continue discussing the subject after leaving the profession.

I want to throw out all of these unqualified idiots who act as teachers and get in some qualified talent. The money is there for foreigners - i never earned less than 35k and i always had extras thrown in like free housing/visa cash/SSF on top. Takes your pay to almost 1k GBP, which isn't bad considering a NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) in the UK will only make 1.8K after taxes, pension contribution and union fees. If the school directors weren't pocketing the government assistance funds offered, then there would be a lot more. The Thai government spends 25.6% of GDP per year on education - where does the money go?

Honorary degrees are prefixed honorary because they can be given to any Tom, Dick or Harry; let's have a look at some;

Dr Ed Sheeran (singer), Dr Kanye West (singer), Dr Jeremy Clarkson (TV host), Dr Prince Charles (Royal family), Dr Ben Afflek (actor) Dr Oprah Winfrey (TV host), Dr Kermit the Frog (from the muppets), Dr Mike Tyson (boxer)

Source; https://www.buzzfeed.com/mirandalarbi/surprise-celebrities-who-were-made-honorary-doctors

I don't discriminate either - i think the NNES such as the filipinos should be thrown out too. They don't help, they're just cheaper. They're usually qualified too, but if you're going to pay more to learn English, do it properly.

I agree with most of what you say but I  read the BuzzFeed list and you were selective. Robert De Niro left school at the  age 16 to become an actor. Many who you mention are leaders in their field whether you like them or not. I don't particularly like Ed Sheeran but to get to where he is he must have something. I think it is good that they are recognized.

My sister in laws school had a steady stream of Farung kids who would come and teach English for a few weeks then leave. It has dried up in the last couple of years and they have Thai teachers. My niece goes to an International school. Her Filipino teacher is as dumb as dog...

10 hours ago, rott said:

Don't know about you but I am sad about the state of English education in UK schools. 

How do so many come out thinking that could of/should of/would of are acceptable? 

Do English teachers in the UK think that the standard of literacy is acceptable given the years of compulsory education? 

Don't know. I'm from Ostralia.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:21 AM, rott said:

How do so many come out thinking ----------?

Usually through the front gate??????