Crackdown on illegal foreign teachers: Heavy fines and deportation for those without work permits

webfact

4 hours ago, Marley01 said:

Quite a few with Manchester uni degrees would be having nervous twitches about now

Quite a few from , many Uni's bogus degrees,  are having  sleepless nights..

If one more person posts about the correct definition and origin of 'farang' and 'Pinoy', I swear I'm going to burst a blood vessel......

As to this topic, I'm surprised that foreign teachers haven't told the Thai government to shove it up where the sun doesn't shine, and haven't sought teaching employment in other countries.

I very briefly taught at a government school in south Thailand, before moving to teach in Myanmar (2.5 times my  previous Thai salary), and also in Laos (2 times my Thai salary).  Now I only teach online from Laos (earning 3 times my Thai salary), with fully legal business visa and work permit.

Honesty, they are "avin a larf" and foreign teachers shouldn't put up with it - go to another country and let the Thai stew in a problem of their own making....

40 minutes ago, elliss said:

So , what/where,  are the other options to attract qualified teachers .?

2 words that keep foreign teachers working for peanuts in Thailand...

Hansum Man

I'd be curious to find out what percentage of foreign teachers are women.  That alone could tell the story.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I'm surprised that foreign teachers haven't told the Thai government to shove it up where the sun doesn't shine, and haven't sought teaching employment in other countries.

But why would they?

Which other counties have such low standards with regards to the people entrusted with their children’s education and well-being?

Why on earth would all the unqualified, laid off bricklayers, backpackers and paedophiles, demand decent salaries in exchange for qualifications they can’t produce? 

I’m sure there are a lot of qualified, competent and quality teachers here, doing their best and giving children a happy, safe learning environment. 

Sadly, they are the minority.

6 hours ago, Thomas Hannah said:

Correct.farang comes from the french.

Originally, yes. But it's a loan word from Muslim (Persians, etc.) traders coming to Thailand, first used in Thailand to describe the Portoguese traders arriving. And actually it means "Frank" not "French". The Franks were the Germanic ruling class of both modern day France (West Franks/Francia), and Germany (East Franks/Francia). I don't think they were numerous enough, to completely replace the Romano-Celtic/-Gallic population, and thus only constituted the upper echelons (much like Sino Thais, or Anglo-Saxons or Normanns) of (West-)Frankish society.

So basically it was a term used for the "wrong kind" of Farang. And while some only use it to describe light skinned Europeans, others use it to describe non-Thais ("others") in general.

I'm pretty sure next news will be "Thailand needs more foreign English teachers".

While one hand is trying to sucker them in, the other leg is giving a kick on the <deleted>. What's not to like, #1 place to work on the planet, na khaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaaa!

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 1

I taught English in Chiang Mai for many years until 2012. For the record, I never ever wanted to be a school teacher in LOS and I never ever needed the money, as I have a good pension and I invested wisely in the real world. A retired Army Officer, I taught several senior Army Officers in the current Thai hierarchy, when they were Officer-Cadets during my army years. Married to a Thai, university educated and well versed in all three dialects of Thai, namely Cum-Muang (northern dialect), Phaasa Lao (north-eastern dialect) and Phaasa Klang,  (central Thai) which is that taught in schools, I was (after my retirement from the army, or rather my wife was, when I moved here, if you get my drift) 'actively encouraged' to 'apply to be a primary school teacher', at a school owned by none other than a Generals' wife. After that, it was simple and I taught at several of the best schools in Chiang Mai, for several years. To the best of my knowledge, I never once had a work permit. Legally married to a Thai and thus 'allowed to work', it worried me for years - but the best was when a senior Thai Immigration Police Officer asked to see me, only to thank me for "teaching his twin daughters" to speak English. I love kids and have half-Thai daughters of my own. Only then did I get the plot. I had finally fitted in, perfectly. Or so it seems. TIT ! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

I taught English in Chiang Mai for many years until 2012. For the record, I never ever wanted to be a school teacher in LOS and I never ever needed the money, as I have a good pension and I invested wisely in the real world. A retired Army Officer, I taught several senior Army Officers in the current Thai hierarchy, when they were Officer-Cadets during my army years. Married to a Thai, university educated and well versed in all three dialects of Thai, namely Cum-Muang (northern dialect), Phaasa Lao (north-eastern dialect) and Phaasa Klang,  (central Thai) which is that taught in schools, I was (after my retirement from the army, or rather my wife was, when I moved here, if you get my drift) 'actively encouraged' to 'apply to be a primary school teacher', at a school owned by none other than a Generals' wife. After that, it was simple and I taught at several of the best schools in Chiang Mai, for several years. To the best of my knowledge, I never once had a work permit. Legally married to a Thai and thus 'allowed to work', it worried me for years - but the best was when a senior Thai Immigration Police Officer asked to see me, only to thank me for "teaching his twin daughters" to speak English. I love kids and have half-Thai daughters of my own. Only then did I get the plot. I had finally fitted in, perfectly. Or so it seems. TIT ! 

Yu can work on an extension based on marriange but you must still have a work permit to work in a  k-12 school. WP rules have not been widely enforced in the past, especially upcountry. Many schools are more strict in terms of paperwork in Bangkok and surrounds. 

40 minutes ago, FarangULong said:

Originally, yes. But it's a loan word from Muslim (Persians, etc.) traders coming to Thailand, first used in Thailand to describe the Portoguese traders arriving. And actually it means "Frank" not "French". The Franks were the Germanic ruling class of both modern day France (West Franks/Francia), and Germany (East Franks/Francia). I don't think they were numerous enough, to completely replace the Romano-Celtic/-Gallic population, and thus only constituted the upper echelons (much like Sino Thais, or Anglo-Saxons or Normanns) of (West-)Frankish society.

So basically it was a term used for the "wrong kind" of Farang. And while some only use it to describe light skinned Europeans, others use it to describe non-Thais ("others") in general.

Very interesting. But what I really want to know is how is Simon43?

9 hours ago, Dannyxyz said:

Pinoy is a foreigner. Anybody not Thai is a foreigner. Farang is used instead of foreigner by many people no matter where the person is from. Maybe the Filipino was mixed race and looked more like a farang than traditional Filipinos. Farang is not reserved for westerners only. It's mostly used in regards to looks (White skin). So sometimes even mixed Thai are confused with farang if they look too White like.

dont forget "keck" = arab and "niggo" = negro

Many thanks to 'DavisH' for the info on my work status - I did wonder for years just what the schools were doing about my paperwork - but whenever I asked, it was always "may pen rai" so, I didn't worry ! We left Thailand in 2012 and my wife says "we are never going back" and that's good, as there are not too many teaching jobs around for a 70 year old in LOS ! Good luck to all you young 'Ajarns' ! 

12 hours ago, Dannyxyz said:

Pinoy is a foreigner. Anybody not Thai is a foreigner. Farang is used instead of foreigner by many people no matter where the person is from. Maybe the Filipino was mixed race and looked more like a farang than traditional Filipinos. Farang is not reserved for westerners only. It's mostly used in regards to looks (White skin). So sometimes even mixed Thai are confused with farang if they look too White like.

Correct and also they call the other one's "Chocolate man",i'm not racist,just quoting my Thai wife & every other Thai lady I've met over here in the last 25+ years

I busted my butt for a YEAR trying to get a work permit-visa-etc and a stack of paperwork to work as Chef in LOS and I wouldnt do it again, but once I did get it, not once did anyone ever ask to see it.....kinda like fighting for a trophy and never getting to display it...I still have it, even tho I think ur supposed to return it.

Have the teaching degree too but gave up on trying to teach people that have zero interest in learning...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, webfact said:

For teaching agencies that hire illegal foreign teachers, the penalties are much more severe. 

What about the unqualified Thai teachers what it their fate - Don't tell me, 500Bht fine and a slap on the wrist ....LOL

I guess many TV farang teachers will be changing their underpants right now knowing what's possibly coming their way.  They will be at the schools today at 6.00 am asking for the boss .....   lol

Many members here are teachers on borrowed time.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I guess many TV farang teachers will be changing their underpants right now knowing what's possibly coming their way.  They will be at the schools today at 6.00 am asking for the boss .....   lol

Including you???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Third world tin pot Pi%$ pot outfit........... Churchill was right, we should of kicked the Sh%$ out of the military just to let them know who they are......... Once again thanks to America for cocking that one up.... 

If this madness continues these loons will have everyone in uniform marching up and down Sukhumvit dragging a Chinese sub on a low bed........  This is what happens when an Army that's never seen a real war takes control, let's hope they upset the right mob........ try the Vietnamese, or even the Cambodians....... I suspect they'd be a massive rise in the Monk hood overnight.........  

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I don't know why this time should be any scarier than every other time they announce a crackdown, visit a couple of schools and kick out a few "native English" teachers with weird accents, then go back to normal.  The crackdown announcement seems to come out about once a year.  I think they make it just to get a rise out of English teachers.  And, of course, it plays to their base.

• Like 1

I have lived and worked in Thailand for around 20 years. I am a fully qualified teacher, with education degrees and all. I have aleays worked on my Non O family visa. After a lovely sabbatical of a couple of years, I've started teaching again recently. The school is in the process of getting the TCT and Labor Department aligned and to get the permit issued. This takes a couple of weeks, and a lot of paperwork, photos, copies are involved. So now I am reading that I'm facing possible deportatation for being illegal. Hummm...

2 minutes ago, KireB said:

I have lived and worked in Thailand for around 20 years. I am a fully qualified teacher, with education degrees and all. I have aleays worked on my Non O family visa. After a lovely sabbatical of a couple of years, I've started teaching again recently. The school is in the process of getting the TCT and Labor Department aligned and to get the permit issued. This takes a couple of weeks, and a lot of paperwork, photos, copies are involved. So now I am reading that I'm facing possible deportatation for being illegal. Hummm...

I would doubt any problem if your in the process of getting a proper WP etc ...  The school can confirm if asked.

What is REALLY needed is a crackdown on Incompetent Thai teachers, as well as teachers who abuse their students. Our daughter's science teacher has NOT taught the class for  3 weeks now.

She only pops in, assigns a lesson, and leaves. Incomprehensible.

• Like 1