Pattaya: Bali Hai landmark development a total mess and waste of 100 million baht, says Thai media

webfact

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

there will be some who would reckon it was worth it...

for getting rid of the illegally squattered boats from being trailer parked there... 

That was the original goal wasn't it??

- but the plan just got bigger...

To be honest I prefer the boats to the desolate blue parking lot... 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, petermik said:

Will the people responsible for this shambles be brought to account...nah never...it,s just one blunder after another with millions of baht that have could have been used to feed the poor here just wasted away....shameful by those that are supposed to run the place :whistling:

No blunder IMO. The money to do the job properly probably went you know where and the shambles was the result. The usual suspects will probably never be brought to account.

Wonder how much will be given to "repair" the shambles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, johng said:

You can't even park on the blue bits !!  sign says no parking due to "maintenance"  555

P_20180117_105811.thumb.jpg.7aeb5d3605215d5f1b7b453988b825bd.jpg

What is the purpose of this blue turd........They treat this place like it some kind of holy ground.......Honestly WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS PLACE?

Maybe have a concert there once a year or maybe park some cars there some times other than this I see no purpose.....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

To be honest I prefer the boats to the desolate blue parking lot... 

The boats were doing no harm there. Moved to the beach in Pattaya. Now a noisy eyesore and, before Covid, attracted a line of Chinese tour buses to clog up Beach Road.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, polpott said:

Would look nice from a high floor in the Waterfront condo. Pity no one will get to enjoy the view.

It really is a pity. I remember walking by the Waterfront condo when it was going up and was actually considering one. It would have been the place to live - just far enough away from the noise, but close enough when you want to partake, plus the best view. It would have been amazing with a proper marina just in front. Sad. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, johng said:

I'm almost convinced that  they hate trees  because of the "leaf litter"   vigorously remove trees at any opportunity and replace with concrete,strange though that all other types of litter is totally overlooked.

P_20201006_120450.thumb.jpg.3a5ad8652836b98e826e23debf0057a2.jpg

That's an old photo from a Thai housing project near me. It ensued because of a dispute between residents and refuse collectors. The refuse collectors lost the contract and were replaced. Perfectly tidy now.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They could have planted some trees and replaced the nice park they destroyed to build the parking building.

You are right

it could be the perfect location to put here

one of the first public parks for the city

at leat a nice area with few trees

we are drowed in concrete in Pattaya

f f s put some green mr mayor

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

That's an old photo from a Thai housing project near me.

Photo was taken 6th October 2020   its an ongoing problem  between the local council and the management committees of the estate..the council says the estate is not paying enough money for refuse collection removed many locations that they would pickup rubbish from  at the same time  a big increase in the estate population  causes the bins to overflow regularly.

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

You are right

it could be the perfect location to put here

one of the first public parks for the city

at leat a nice area with few trees

we are drowed in concrete in Pattaya

f f s put some green mr mayor

And a fish market. And a few stalls offering barbecue facilities. And a childrens playground.

1 minute ago, johng said:

Photo was taken 6th October 2020   its an ongoing problem  between the local council and the management committees of the estate..the council says the estate is not paying enough money for refuse collection removed many locations that they would pickup rubbish from  at the same time  a big increase in the estate population  causes the bins to overflow regularly.

Link?

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

Link?

No link available as far as I know. (these are my photos)

here is another photo from 29th August 2017   when they removed collection points and put up signs warning of 2000 baht fine for leaving rubbish there, previously had been bins there

( and are back there again now)

P_20170829_134522.thumb.jpg.ff51bcad70a43ab8fc30610c03257cbe.jpg

20 hours ago, DefaultName said:

It would look better if they knocked down that monstrosity that looms over it.

the monstrosity is the result of same greed and corruption which keeps producing cheap and horrible structures, marinas, concrete parks, car parks, water fountains that either  break down within a year or go unfinished, unoccupied, unused, not maintained properly and they eventually   either collapse, sink, decay, washed away and depreciate the very town you all live in.

That building which you rather see it knocked down can't easily be knocked down unless those deeply involved in the scam all literally die out.. And since they are in their 40s and 50s, that building will be around for a long, looooong time!

Edited by pattayadude
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Youlike said:

That path along the water looks like faux wood planks...but it's right next to the sea, only stone/concrete can stand that long time...

Why don't they just copy the beachroads like in Spain? Those are perfect..the Thai really miss the brain to build something good which lasts 50 years or more.

Clearly you dont understand Thailand ????

Why build something that lasts 50 years, when you can get a cut of rebuilding something every two years?

3 hours ago, polpott said:

I'm almost convinced that  they hate trees  because of the "leaf litter"   vigorously remove trees at any opportunity and replace with concrete

this was a "sin city". It was built and expanded for only one thing..money!..it has no history, no landmarks, no memories, no love and no sense of belonging. It only has a dirty reputation. Trees beautify a city but they need attention, love and care, something the people of Pattaya culturally lack and had no time to waste on maintaining. If post-Covid life somehow brings on major changes and force us to change our dirty habits too, maybe Pattaya will change too. I can see how lack of demand for bars will eventually replace a city block of them with small green parks and trees it badly needs...

Edited by pattayadude

23 hours ago, johng said:

No idea what these podium thingies are supposed to be used for either

P_20180117_105605.thumb.jpg.f01ec793a1a453cc32426f595b48e1d6.jpg

There were supposed to be socles for a big old marine anchor and some nice decoration rocks, but they were late for the naval event and never finished this "decoration"

4 hours ago, johng said:

IMG_1306.thumb.JPG.8b7d7797c64c7f96e9142c0a1125c849.JPG

P_20171007_142506.thumb.jpg.1db3dfb0296efefce7eabbc9413d8ddd.jpg

Unfair comparison, because the second pic is an old one during the work in progress of this new area. I will have to search in my albums to get a more recent one, but they added more blue area, a nice marine compass, pedestrian paths, trees and green areas on extremities...

5 hours ago, polpott said:

The boats were doing no harm there. Moved to the beach in Pattaya. Now a noisy eyesore and, before Covid, attracted a line of Chinese tour buses to clog up Beach Road.

When the boats were there it was like a junk yard.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pattayadude said:

what part of Pattaya isn't?! and those who came for it's nightlife, you can start packing! GAME OVER

If the nightlife doesn't bounce back, many expats may start packing as well, because businesses that cater for westerners can not survive on expats alone, and will close.   

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, DefaultName said:

It would look better if they knocked down that monstrosity that looms over it.

earlier I said NO ....leave it there......can be used as a lighthouse for ALL the CRUISE ships that are going to arrive at the NEW port of Bali Hai !!!!

On 10/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, Leaver said:

If the nightlife doesn't bounce back, many expats may start packing as well, because businesses that cater for westerners can not survive on expats alone, and will close.   

I'd actually prefer it to be a Thai seaside city, I spend 99.9% of my time among them anyway and can cook myself. But there's a high risk it's to become a Chinese colony, in which case it's a fate worse than death.