Properties For Sale by Banks and Others

Banana7

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Wait until next year, then you will be able to buy two shophouses.  The market is nowhere near the bottom at the moment.  

I think it's already a good deal tbh and the owners own our whole moo bahn so I'm not expecting it to go down further and the modifications I need tells me I need their full support. I am just waiting for an in with these people to get the ball rolling or for them to have no tenant and readvertise.  

32 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The true bargains are snapped up by the bank management and their friends............with a bank loan from their branch.

Manager happy to get a bargain.

Bank happy as the property is off their books and another loan taken out is the cherry on the cake.

Sure, that's been happening for years, but who are the tenants going to in the newly acquired house by said bank manager in the foreseeable future? 

If he upgrades and lives in the house himself, who, and at what price, will his old house sell, and if not for sale, what tenants will rent it?  

It's a whole new game now.  

Plenty of sellers, including the banks, no buyers, and no tenants.  

The argument that rich Thai's can afford to have vacant properties for years held some weight in times of a rising property market.  That game is over as well. 

As we all know, Thai's can't see past a baht in their hand today.  That bank manager may very well be foreclosed upon in the future, in the same way he foreclosed upon the previous owner.       

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2020 at 3:10 PM, Leaver said:

How do you know they OWN the whole moo bahn?  Maybe the bank does.

In any case, like I said, be patient, and you will be in a better position to bargain.

The market is no where near the bottom.   

Financially speaking, the whole world is yet to feel the full effects of Covid.  

Err because they built it they manage it and my neighbours the headman and speaks decent english.

• Like 2

I have no idea about Thailand purchase of house and ongoing costs - does the owner have to pay council rates and things like that? If the owner declares bankruptcy then wouldn't the bank have to pay those rates? or dos the government just waive those?

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Does that mean it's not under finance????

I have no idea but I know they are not a fly by knight outfit and they are very well heeled and built the moo bahn over 25 years ago and there is not one vacant lot anywhere, so I would suspect not. 

8 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

I have no idea about Thailand purchase of house and ongoing costs - does the owner have to pay council rates and things like that? If the owner declares bankruptcy then wouldn't the bank have to pay those rates? or dos the government just waive those?

There are land and property taxes in Thailand but they are very small and unlike other countries not a deterrent to owning and leaving empty. The collection of them is also poorly organised and has only recently started to be pursued.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 7:01 AM, jacko45k said:

One would expect the banks to be keen to get them off their books, they aren't realtors, Are they limited to what is owed on the property or fixated on an inflated value? Did they originally lend too much on the property? 

They may not take the loss until it is sold, but they likely mark them down incrementally as much as they have to, to comply with GAAP, but there is a good chance you could get a better deal from a traditional sale.  The people getting foreclosed are often the ones, who paid top dollar, and were unable to sell.  

Edited by moontang
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2020 at 8:58 PM, Leaver said:

Sure, that's been happening for years, but who are the tenants going to in the newly acquired house by said bank manager in the foreseeable future? 

If he upgrades and lives in the house himself, who, and at what price, will his old house sell, and if not for sale, what tenants will rent it?  

It's a whole new game now.  

Plenty of sellers, including the banks, no buyers, and no tenants.  

The argument that rich Thai's can afford to have vacant properties for years held some weight in times of a rising property market.  That game is over as well. 

As we all know, Thai's can't see past a baht in their hand today.  That bank manager may very well be foreclosed upon in the future, in the same way he foreclosed upon the previous owner.       

I agree.  It is an urban myth that there are all these insider deals.  It would be a form of embezzlement for one thing.  Remember, it was a shady land deal that brought Thaksin down..and in that case there wasn't a publicly held company involved.  Heard the same thing about property agents...reality is that most have to scrape up to pay their AIS bill.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 4:34 PM, Leaver said:

Wait until next year, then you will be able to buy two shophouses.  The market is nowhere near the bottom at the moment.  

Correct . 

Condos , in Sin City .

Ground level soon ...

On 10/12/2020 at 9:32 PM, elliss said:

Correct . 

Condos , in Sin City .

Ground level soon ...

Define, "soon." 

I would say around 4 to 6 months from now, after a non existent high season.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Define, "soon." 

I would say around 4 to 6 months from now, after a non existent high season.  

I would say , you are a tad optimistic .

Property values devastated ..

15 minutes ago, elliss said:

I would say , you are a tad optimistic .

Property values devastated .. 

Condominium , were sold by professional sales people .

At ridiculousy,  high prices ..

However that said , i enjoyed many free lunches , on their opening days .

Bought nought ..   Except a wife ...

Edited by elliss
spelling
  • Haha 1

The Chinese are their answer to their problems, but at least half of the condos were bought for cash, and those owners will be able to undercut the banks for several years, if not longer, as the banks have to take a shot at recouping what is owed...eventually, they may have the fire sale, like in the US, but that is a long way off.

Edited by moontang

On 10/13/2020 at 12:43 AM, moontang said:

52 square meters in the other Sin City. 58k was in 1994, when it was new..sorry for not using the pakistani calendar.

Sin city , is a worn out whore house.

However that said .

What App , along with thai dating sites, are the new norm.

No bar fine .  Negotiate a fee,  with the Lady ? , on Line..

Edited by elliss

The foreclosure process is much longer than the non-judicial foreclosure, deed of trust process in the US.  The foreclosure process and trustees are spelled out at loan signing.  There was an inadvertent amount of foreclosures racked up in a short period.  Banks were overwhelmed with property management, which they knew almost nothing about.  There will have to be balance sheet trouble here, before the big reductions.  When was the last time you saw a decent property auction here?

• Like 1