American expat avoids jail for negative review - reaches settlement with Koh Chang hotel

webfact

3 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

I too have studied dogs. Sometimes they put their tail down. He works here too though. Damn, they are all about 'making a wrong a right.' Petty, in my view.

But IMO, it is still a big inconvenience to not be able to bring in me own drink.

Cheap GIT ????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Criticism is subjective. Accusation of using slave labour is an accusation of committing a crime. Slow food service, bad AC, mould on the curtains, warm beer - these are critiques of services paid for an open to subjective criticism. Use slave labour, cheat on taxes, hit customers, steal customers' belongings are accusations of criminal activity and can't be made without proof unless the author wants a formal response from the accused.

So sue him. This is a civil case. Not a criminal one. 

How easy would it have been to have a lawyer contact him and keep everything 'civil'.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

The only breathtaking stupidity is from people who think accusing a person or a business of criminal and immoral activity is a subjective review of a service or good.

You are being over dramatic.

A 1 star review from a disgruntled customer is not even in the same ballpark of stupidity as a kamikaze business decision.

Edited by aroiaroi
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

It's a figure of speech and in his opinion maybe true.

The law disagrees with you. It is an accusation of a criminal act like not paying taxes or employing foreign staff (here) without without work permits. There are limits on free speech that are designed to protect people and businesses from damage to their reputation from unsupported accusations. He might also hold the opinion that white table cloths are a call to arms for white supremacists but without any evidence, calling it an opinion expressed because they have some right to express themselves is an excuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully most potential visitors here are not as stupid as the muppet-in-question who made accusations of illegal activity, not poor service. If you can't see the difference you are seriously challenged.

Sorry, do you think most people who read the headlines will be concerning themselves with what exactly was written?

1 minute ago, DualSportBiker said:

The law disagrees with you. It is an accusation of a criminal act like not paying taxes or employing foreign staff (here) without without work permits. There are limits on free speech that are designed to protect people and businesses from damage to their reputation from unsupported accusations. He might also hold the opinion that white table cloths are a call to arms for white supremacists but without any evidence, calling it an opinion expressed because they have some right to express themselves is an excuse.

I think THAT is the point, in THAILAND, using the term treated like "modern-day slavery", worked like "slaves", IS treated differently from the West. Thousands of business review on a website like Glassdoor that call companies, managers, CEO's "slave master's", "Hitler", and other damaging names but the reviews remain because it is seen as an expression of opinion. In Thailand, opinions can get you sent to jail.

It's pointless bickering about who is right and wrong. It's a "he said, she said" story, and the customer, with threats of jailtime over him, has been unable to fully defend or explain his position.

But we can look at the outcomes, and it's a lose-lose-lose scenario. The biggest losers are the hotel (the hotel shot themselves) and Thailands tourism industry (collateral damage via the stupidity of the hotel).

• Like 2

That is precisely what they did and he refused to engage with the lawyer. The criminal case was a last resort because he failed to be civil.

So speak to Trip Advisor. The hotel should never have allowed him to spend any time in jail. By perusing this case with the police, they knew this was a possibility. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Sorry, do you think most people who read the headlines will be concerning themselves with what exactly was written?

Obviously not. You are proof that reading the headline, the story and understanding it are separate by slovenliness and intelligence.

1 minute ago, aroiaroi said:

It's pointless bickering about who is right and wrong. It's a "he said, she said" story, and the customer, with threats of jailtime over him, has been unable to fully defend or explain his position.

But we can look at the outcomes, and it's a lose-lose-lose scenario. The biggest losers are the hotel (the hotel shot themselves) and Thailands tourism industry (collateral damage via the stupidity of the hotel).

That is the difference between slander and defamation. A true 'he said, she said' is a verbal exchange. What this guy did was published globally.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Yes that's true in Thailand it's a Criminal Act which in my opinion is why Online Travel websites should block reviews in Thailand to protect Public, Tourists or at least warn them of the risk of Arrest.
I agree with that about Racism and also Terrorism but this isn't about Racism it's about a Hotel review.

Edited by DirtyHarry55
  • Haha 1

Both lost in this story. The American guy and the hotel. But I think the hotel lost much more. For example, I will never stay there after this story. Perhaps I am not the only one. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Both lost in this story. The American guy and the hotel. But I think the hotel lost much more. For example, I will never stay there after this story. Perhaps I am not the only one. 

Yea if you do go make sure to record and collect evidence if you want to write a review.
But even if you collect evidence you'll probably still have to spend a few nights in Jail if you don't have 100k Bail not to mention Lawyer costs.
So probably just better not leave any review at all.

Edited by DirtyHarry55

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

So he’s trolling. 

Whether you agree with the outcome or not, the headlines read that a man was jailed for writing bad reviews of a hotel in Thailand. And that’s all many tourists or potential tourists will take from it. 

That in itself is very damaging. The actions of the hotel and police were way over the top and this could have been nipped in the bud far more easily. 

Trolling is what people do on internet forums and I doubt any country has a specific 'anti-trolling' law.

If that's all that "many tourists or potential tourists" take from it, they need to educate themselves a bit more and be aware that Thailand has laws and as draconian and inappropriate as some may be, they are still Thailand's laws.

The bud nipping initiated by the hotel in Thailand was ignored by the guy repeatedly posting defamatory comments in Thailand.

Som nam-nah

• Like 2