Waiting for my 1 year marriage extension

So I applied for a one year extension of stay based on marriage on 15th last month and go a 1 month under consideration stamp. That's up on the 15th next week and with a weekend in between so not many days left.

My question is is this normal procedure that they don't contact you until pretty close to the deadline or how is this working? They are contacting me when it's ready, is that correct?

I have never been called when my applications were approved. We always called them about it or just went to the office to get the extension stamp done.

The report back date on your under consideration stamp is not a deadline. It is only a day to go to the office or contact them about it. The stamp allows you to stay until your application is approved.

Ditto for me.  I applied for a change from OA retirement extension of stay (been on it for a dozen years) to a OA marriage extension of stay at CW on 15 Sep.  Was given an under consideration stamp to come back on on 12 Oct (this coming Monday).  To date (and it is 9 Oct/Friday) there's been no IO visit or contact of any kind to indicate there is any problem.  Hopefully when I go Monday I will get the approved for a year stamp.

At CW they always tell you the appointment date (or report back date) when you apply for the extension. At that date they stamp the final extension in ur passport.

What immigration office are you using?

From the sound of it, you have nothing to worry about. You will get your extension on the 15th.

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

At CW they always tell you the appointment date (or report back date) when you apply for the extension. At that date they stamp the final extension in ur passport.

What immigration office are you using?

From the sound of it, you have nothing to worry about. You will get your extension on the 15th.

I'm using the Jomtien IO. OK, I should probably have checked this out earlier but I was told by someone that I will be contacted by them when the application has been processed. From what you guys say that's wrong so I'll head down there on Tuesday the 13th just to check all is well.

1 minute ago, Inderpland said:

I'm using the Jomtien IO. OK, I should probably have checked this out earlier but I was told by someone that I will be contacted by them when the application has been processed. From what you guys say that's wrong so I'll head down there on Tuesday the 13th just to check all is well.

My understanding is you are only contacted if they are coming to do a home visit and/or there is a problem with your application.  Otherwise, just report back on the under consideration stamp date to get your full year stamp.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

I have done 3 marriage extensions at Jomtien, they do not contact you. Just head back on the date in your passport. They will be expecting you, the guy that sits to your left has a list on his desk of who is expected that day

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 12:17 PM, Pib said:

Ditto for me.  I applied for a change from OA retirement extension of stay (been on it for a dozen years) to a OA marriage extension of stay at CW on 15 Sep.  Was given an under consideration stamp to come back on on 12 Oct (this coming Monday).  To date (and it is 9 Oct/Friday) there's been no IO visit or contact of any kind to indicate there is any problem.  Hopefully when I go Monday I will get the approved for a year stamp.

Yeap...got the full year "plus" stamp today.  By plus, I mean although I applied for a change from retirement to marriage on 15 Sep 2020 at CW which was several weeks before my retirement extension was would expire after 2 Oct, I was expecting the marriage extension approval to be good thru 14 Sep 2021. 

Normally it would have been to 2 Oct if I was doing another "retirement" extension (i.e., you don't lose any time by applying for renewal early) but "when changing the reason for extension" (i.e., retirement to marriage) which I was doing then the application date will be the start date once approved.  So, I was expecting a final approval stamp good from 15 Sep 2020 thru 14 Sep 2021.  However, what I got was different. 

When first showing up at CW and showing the under-consideration stamp in my passport which said come back on 12 Oct (today) for the hopeful final approval stamp, I was first asked to sign a form saying the govt was going to extend me to 31 Oct 2021.  The immigration officer told me that in English and it said the same thing on the form I had to sign.  Pretty much everyone was being told the sign the same form....that is, all of us showing up for our final approval stamp....I'm assuming the great bulk of us were there for the marriage extension approval stamp as most everyone queuing were couples....but I went alone as the Thai spouse does not have to show up for the final approval stamp.

Signed the form...was told to wait one hour.....a little over an hour latter I was given my passport back with "two", repeat, two approval stamps. First stamp was dated today/12 Oct and said I was permitted to stay until 26 Sep 2021.  And then right below that stamp is another stamp dated today/12 Oct and said I was permitted to stay until 31 Oct 2021.

So, I did not lose any time off my current extension by undergoing this retirement to marriage extension and due to amnesty policies regarding visas/extensions I ended up actually getting a 12 month, 29 days extension referenced to my retirement extension which expired close of business 2 Oct 2020.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

So I went down to Jomtien IO today at the appointed time to get my 1 year marriage extension and was told to come back on Monday afternoon. The stern lady at counter 6 even said it with a smile and added - "no problem!" when I had started saying "But...".

Is this something that happens fairly regularly or is this a special Covid issue?

29 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

So I went down to Jomtien IO today at the appointed time to get my 1 year marriage extension and was told to come back on Monday afternoon. The stern lady at counter 6 even said it with a smile and added - "no problem!" when I had started saying "But...".

Is this something that happens fairly regularly or is this a special Covid issue?

It happens from time to time if they're particularly busy at the main office. Nothing to worry about and you're definitely not here illegally.

• Like 1