GPX Razer 220cc Any Good?

Stubby

Hi folks.

I'm thinking of getting bigger motorbike for the cool season. I love my Honda Wave, but it's not a fun bike for the steeper mountain roads up here in Chiang Mai. I plan to hire a Honda 300f or Benelli TNT300 for 3-4 months. But I've also seen a few secondhand bikes that are tempting. 

Benelli TNT 25

I nearly bought a Benelli TNT 25 a couple of months back, but it was heavily scratched when I went to see it. The price was okay at 39K. But the scratches and chips told me it wasn't well cared for, although I didn't see any evidence of it being dropped. 

GPX Razer 220cc

Someone is selling a GPX Razer 220cc locally for 45K with only 2K on the clock. I can't find any English reviews for it, though. The price is a tad high for a 3-month toy, but I was tempted for a while. It seemed to be in new condition too.

I'm well out of touch since my big bike days, so If anyone here can advise on what I should be looking for, that would be great. Budget is around 40K for a secondhand model.

I'm probably going to rent next month (plan A), but it would be nice to shop around a little before I do that.

Thank you in advance.

Stubby 

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My second hand Honda CB300f is perfect (2015, just under 50kbht).

Also like the Bernelli 300 but the frame was a little small, and I prefer single cylinder.

honda.jpg

Honda's have always taken some beating, BMToo ????

You can get a used Kawasaki 250SL for that price or closer,  it's abs equipped and has more hp than the gpx and the tnt25. 

or that honda 300 posted above for a little more money..

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, alx123 said:

You can get a used Kawasaki 250SL for that price or closer,  it's abs equipped and has more hp than the gpx and the tnt25. 

or that honda 300 posted above for a little more money..

Thanks, alx123 ????

On 10/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, alx123 said:

Great! Enjoy your new ride. Maybe let us know your ownership review after a month or two. 

No problem, alx123, will do. I can't believe how big and beefy they make these small bikes look and feel. It's not a powerful machine, but it is quite a looker ;)

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 11:50 AM, Agusts said:

@Stubby Forget about the bike, great photography...! ????????

Enjoy it, there is nothing like a new riding toy...

Thanks, Agust. Not my photos though. Here's a quick snap that I took myself a couple of days ago. Much more amateur ;)

RAZER.png

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 2:25 PM, johnno2 said:

So how's the bike going? Have you still got it? 

Yes, I still got it, Johnno2.

It took a bit of getting used to, unlike Japanese bikes that fit new riders like a well-tailored glove. But to be honest, it has to be the best value for money bike I've ever owned. I especially love the high riding position. Cheap service, low cost parts, and so far, super-reliable. I'd like something 600cc or above next time, but I'm so impressed with the Razer that I'll probably keep it even if I do get a bigger bike. There are a few things I don't like about it, but they're so minor, it's not worth the gripe considering the price ????

Stubby

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 8:21 AM, johng said:

The GPX bikes that I have seen look good...but what put me off was the sound  on starting the engine  sounds like a bag of bolts in a cement mixer ????

Yeah the chinese engines sound like tractors very unrefined.  They can be improved by changing the after market exhaust to drown out the valve noise lol.

However, I must give credit to gpx they are creating some interesting bikes but I wonder how the plastic will hold out without fading etc on these bikes.  If the new drone is any indication I don't like the cheap plastic on that bike although the rest of the design is good.

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 3:21 PM, tlandtday said:

Yeah the chinese engines sound like tractors very unrefined.  They can be improved by changing the after market exhaust to drown out the valve noise lol.

However, I must give credit to gpx they are creating some interesting bikes but I wonder how the plastic will hold out without fading etc on these bikes.  If the new drone is any indication I don't like the cheap plastic on that bike although the rest of the design is good.

THE SOUND OF A RAZER

The Razer sounds fine after start up, while ticking over, and when cruising. It sounds naff when accelerating... embarrassing, almost. But it's a minor gripe, considering the price.

CHEAP PLASTIC FINISH

I agree, cheap plastic and thin paint. A good waxing makes it look better than it is, though. But when it comes to the Razer, it would probably cost less than a Honda Wave to to cover the the entire bike with a full kit. In other words, a tatty, faded yet sound bike at a bargain price could look brand spanking new again for a few thousand baht.

Here's a recent pic of my Razer next to the ol' faithful, 15 year of Honda Wave, 125cc.

Stubby

P1010445.JPG

Oh, and in case you're wondering... yes, I do prepare my veggies on that chopping board.

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Awesome review. Thank you

Looks like it's a bang for your buck bike and a good looking one too. 

Iv'e recently helped a friend tuned his Ryuka 250. As theyr'e still carburetors, so theyre really easy bikes to tune. 

I love how simple a single cylinder and carburetor to work on. 

I also realized that most of its parts are interchangeable with Honda, it's probably the same thing with your GPX. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2021 at 10:29 AM, Stubby said:

Yes, I still got it, Johnno2.

It took a bit of getting used to, unlike Japanese bikes that fit new riders like a well-tailored glove. But to be honest, it has to be the best value for money bike I've ever owned. I especially love the high riding position. Cheap service, low cost parts, and so far, super-reliable. I'd like something 600cc or above next time, but I'm so impressed with the Razer that I'll probably keep it even if I do get a bigger bike. There are a few things I don't like about it, but they're so minor, it's not worth the gripe considering the price ????

Stubby

I found one for sale that's done 380klms, yes, that's less than 400klms, thinking thinking 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 4:23 PM, johnno2 said:

I found one for sale that's done 380klms, yes, that's less than 400klms, thinking thinking 

Bought it, it's a good city bike. Put a carry rack (800 baht) and 26L top box (390baht) and its perfect now. No problem with starter, sounds ok. Gearbox a bit stiff but should settle in ok. Easy to get neutral from 2nd gear. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear a bit low geared, might see if I can get a smaller rear sprocket at the gpx dealer. Suspension is fine for my many potholes and speedbumps local soi. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, johnno2 said:

Bought it, it's a good city bike. Put a carry rack (800 baht) and 26L top box (390baht) and its perfect now. No problem with starter, sounds ok. Gearbox a bit stiff but should settle in ok. Easy to get neutral from 2nd gear. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear a bit low geared, might see if I can get a smaller rear sprocket at the gpx dealer. Suspension is fine for my many potholes and speedbumps local soi. 

Nice one, Johnno2. Andy chance of a pic or two?

Stubby

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, johnno2 said:

16384995059674081186691161264118.jpg

Nice one. Mine has just clocked up 9,000km. I've noticed the gears and riding seem to have gotten smoother of late. It's probably one of those bikes that needs a bloody good running in before it finally settles down. I still think it's the best value little-big-bike around at the moment.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Nice one. Mine has just clocked up 9,000km. I've noticed the gears and riding seem to have gotten smoother of late. It's probably one of those bikes that needs a bloody good running in before it finally settles down. I still think it's the best value little-big-bike around at the moment.

I only use mine to go to the shopping centre and local golf driving range. I think it's got about 600 klms on it now. I didn't receive any gpx service or operating manual, but the greenbook says it was first registered in Dec 2020 so I might take it to the local service centre and get it's 12 month service done and see if I can get duplicate service manual for it. I'm happy with it

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, johnno2 said:

I only use mine to go to the shopping centre and local golf driving range. I think it's got about 600 klms on it now. I didn't receive any gpx service or operating manual, but the greenbook says it was first registered in Dec 2020 so I might take it to the local service centre and get it's 12 month service done and see if I can get duplicate service manual for it. I'm happy with it

What is klms? I don't have a manual, either, but the dealer said to change the oil every 4,000Km. I keep the receipts for proof of service history.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2021 at 9:40 PM, Stubby said:

KTM designed the GPX Razer, Papa Al. That's what the seller told me, who had about four of them up for sale.

It's a plastic monster, I've never seen so many plastic panels. I'm happy with mine, good suspension to soak up the potholes and speed bumps. I hired a yamaha aerox for 1 month before buying the razer. 1 month on a midsized scooter was enough for me. Those little wheels don't like potholes and speed bumps

• Like 2